‘He will die in jail’

14 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9962 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

This could be one of the more extreme views we've seen of the Trump presidency so far. Today former NSA intelligence analyst John Schindler tweeted:

"Now we go nuclear. IC (intelligence community) war going to new levels. Just got an EM fm (email from) senior IC (intelligence community) friend, it began: "He will die in jail."

He later confirmed who the "he" was, saying: "Now the official #LockHerUp brigade is upset that I said Trump could go to...jail."

@Rawstory has more

"Intelligence community ready to ‘go nuclear’ on Trump"
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17098 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

I don't believe it will happen, but I sure want to.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"Didn't vote for Hillary Clinton? Then you own [insert horrible act here]."

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:21 PM

The latest:

White House Plans to Have Trump Ally Review Intelligence Agencies

WASHINGTON — President Trump plans to assign a New York billionaire to lead a broad review of American intelligence agencies, according to administration officials, an effort that members of the intelligence community fear could curtail their independence and reduce the flow of information that contradicts the president’s worldview.

The possible role for Stephen A. Feinberg, a co-founder of Cerberus Capital Management, has met fierce resistance among intelligence officials already on edge because of the criticism the intelligence community has received from Mr. Trump during the campaign and since he became president. On Wednesday, Mr. Trump blamed leaks from the intelligence community for the departure of Michael T. Flynn, his national security adviser, whose resignation he requested.

...Mr. Feinberg’s only experience with national security matters is his firm’s stakes in a private security company and two gun makers.

I'm kind of at a loss for words here. Admittedly, intelligence agencies often get over-enthusiastic and need oversight and periodic reminders to stay within Constitutional limits. But they do at least take their jobs seriously (which is a good thing) and there are probably good reasons why stuff is done the way it is in this domain. This administration is a serious loose cannon. I don't know exactly what's going to happen, but it's not going to end well.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#4 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

I'm guessing we start to see some transcripts of phone calls.

#5 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6578 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:51 AM

I'm suspecting that this is the kind of thing that Congress might find worth playing adult. If someone who has no background in intelligence, no security clearance, etc. gets handed plenary power over the IC they're going to push back, hard. Plus, the military will back them. No, I don't mean tanks in the streets. Just lots of braid descending on Congress -- which really, really does not want to blow the near 100% Republican loyalty of the uniformed services.

Worse comes to worst, and much as I deplore the excessive power that the IC has gathered, do the peeps in Washington really want to bet on what the IC has on them?
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#6 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 16 February 2017 - 06:51 AM, said:

I'm suspecting that this is the kind of thing that Congress might find worth playing adult. If someone who has no background in intelligence, no security clearance, etc. gets handed plenary power over the IC they're going to push back, hard.
[snip]

Worse comes to worst, and much as I deplore the excessive power that the IC has gathered, do the peeps in Washington really want to bet on what the IC has on them?
Cue up Dirty Harry?
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#7 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17098 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 16 February 2017 - 06:51 AM, said:

I'm suspecting that this is the kind of thing that Congress might find worth playing adult. If someone who has no background in intelligence, no security clearance, etc. gets handed plenary power over the IC they're going to push back, hard.

I have less faith in Republicans than you do. McCain and Graham will yell and scream but the Republican controlled House will do everything in their power to ignore it. Remember that they're the ones who currently refuse to investigate Trump's Russia connections but do want to investigate the leaks. I don't see one of Trump's buddies being dropped in out of nowhere with zero experience as moving them in any way. Or maybe it will and they'll say something ... in really, really stern voice.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

#8 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Trump's choice to "review" the IC:

Through Cerberus, his private equity company, Mr. Feinberg has strong ties to the government contracting industry. Cerberus owns DynCorp International, which has had a wide array of large contracts providing security to the State Department and other agencies. DynCorp is now locked in a major legal dispute over the fate of a $10 billion State Department contract that it previously held to provide air support for counternarcotics operations overseas.

Oh and Kelly, the Homeland Security dude, worked for DynCorp as an "advisor" before assuming his new position.

#9 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 16 February 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

Trump's choice to "review" the IC:

Oh and Kelly, the Homeland Security dude, worked for DynCorp as an "advisor" before assuming his new position.

No conflict of interest there...no siree!
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#10 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17098 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 16 February 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

No conflict of interest there...no siree!

I wonder how much he gave to Trump's campaign and if he got a better deal than DeVos.

#11 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6578 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

View PostLFC, on 16 February 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

I have less faith in Republicans than you do. McCain and Graham will yell and scream but the Republican controlled House will do everything in their power to ignore it. Remember that they're the ones who currently refuse to investigate Trump's Russia connections but do want to investigate the leaks.

I agree -- but that's when someone lets slip some damaging information. And the amount of damage produced by each successive drop escalates.

As for plugging the leaks -- they won't be coming from anyone in the USA. Most of the dirt is actually originally coming out of foreign services which, unlike ours, have no restrictions on what they snoop on here. That's why we don't try very hard to lift the restrictions that the NSA (for instance) theoretically operates under: we can get the same information by the sharing arrangements with our allies. Allies such as German, who are not terribly happy with the current regime and might accidentally let slip some of the Russian take that they have. Or perhaps some of their take on members of Congress. German spy by way of a TOR link to Dutch diplomat to Swiss reporter to Italian newspaper.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#12 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9126 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 16 February 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

I agree -- but that's when someone lets slip some damaging information. And the amount of damage produced by each successive drop escalates.

As for plugging the leaks -- they won't be coming from anyone in the USA. Most of the dirt is actually originally coming out of foreign services which, unlike ours, have no restrictions on what they snoop on here. That's why we don't try very hard to lift the restrictions that the NSA (for instance) theoretically operates under: we can get the same information by the sharing arrangements with our allies. Allies such as German, who are not terribly happy with the current regime and might accidentally let slip some of the Russian take that they have. Or perhaps some of their take on members of Congress. German spy by way of a TOR link to Dutch diplomat to Swiss reporter to Italian newspaper.

So, pissing off everyone was bad idea?

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#13 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6578 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 16 February 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

You and I couldn't get away with it, but of course this is The Donald.

#14 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17098 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 16 February 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

No, no, no. You don't understand. All good things must flow to Trump. All bad things are other people's faults and they should simply accept their failures.

#15 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9962 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:14 PM

View PostLFC, on 16 February 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

they should simply accept their failures.

Because they are losers?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users