←  Political Discussion

Talk Radio Sucks -- Smart Politics

»

The Trump Administration

Rich T Bikkies's Photo Rich T Bikkies 16 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

View PostPractical Girl, on 16 February 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

Holy crap. Is anybody watching his press conference? This is truly, truly scary.

Can you supply a link accessible in the UK, if and when one becomes available? Though I suppose the juiciest bits will be on the BBC News Channel in an hour or two.

I don't usually watch the pussy grabber at length, but if he's still capable of scaring you, Prac, even after the last three weeks, then perhaps I need to take a look.

EDIT: Of course — HuffPo will probably do it.

D. C. Sessions's Photo D. C. Sessions 16 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

The fascinating thing is that some of the people there were committing journalism. They were calling Trump out on facts and then calling him out on contradicting himself in the same conference.

Oh, by the way: he called the Russian leaks "fake news" and then confirmed them as real by insisting that they violate the law. Which law? Not clear.

Progressive whisperer's Photo Progressive whisperer 16 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 16 February 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Did I miss something? Large blocks in yellow highlight, but I didn't see any annotations. Also reaffirmed that I can't stand to even read more than a paragraph; if you can call it such; of tRump speaking. Even in transcript he nauseates me.

Progressive whisperer's Photo Progressive whisperer 16 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 16 February 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

The fascinating thing is that some of the people there were committing journalism. They were calling Trump out on facts and then calling him out on contradicting himself in the same conference.

Oh, by the way: he called the Russian leaks "fake news" and then confirmed them as real by insisting that they violate the law. Which law? Not clear.

Seriously, the "leaks" could be both fake and illegal I suppose, but I doubt either.

Progressive whisperer's Photo Progressive whisperer 16 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

My question remains if at some point the knife fighting factions in his admin go down to one, or he fires/scares enough leakers that it gets a bit quiet, if the news then gets bored and wanders off after something else shiny. Or have they now got enough hate that they worry him like a bone for the future, as with the Clintons.

D. C. Sessions's Photo D. C. Sessions 16 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

Well, they don't have the Clintons to kick around any more so who else can they pick on?

LFC's Photo LFC 16 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 16 February 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

Seriously, the "leaks" could be both fake and illegal I suppose, but I doubt either.

These are Schrodinger's Leaks; both fake and illegal.

LFC's Photo LFC 16 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

I haven't watched the snippets yet but TPM put together what they say are the 8 craziest moments from the press conference. Enjoy!

LFC's Photo LFC 16 February 2017 - 04:39 PM

View PostLFC, on 16 February 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

I haven't watched the snippets yet but TPM put together what they say are the 8 craziest moments from the press conference. Enjoy!

I just watched #1. He's sniffing like crazy, just like during the debates. Meltdown. Sad.

LFC's Photo LFC 16 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Just watched #2, the statement that his administration is running like a "fine-tuned machine." All I can say is...

Posted Image

LFC's Photo LFC 16 February 2017 - 04:43 PM

Here's Josh Marshall's take in full. I think he's got Trump pegged ... and we should all be scared.

This is that rare time when I think the cliched phrase is appropriate: That press conference speaks for itself. There's very little I can think to add. It all amounts to a confirmation of what most of us already know. This man is not emotionally or characterologically equipped to serve as President. He lacks the focus, the ability to commit to even a passable amount of work without immediate emotional gratification. Thus his decision to hold a campaign rally in Florida on Saturday. (It's literally a campaign event, put on by his 2020 reelection campaign). Trump lacks the emotional resilience or toughness to deal with what is the inevitable criticism and difficulties of being President, which - lets be clear - are great.

These different deficits all feed upon each other. He lacks the steadiness for the job.

There are credible reports of Richard Nixon being in this sort of state in the final weeks of his presidency. But Nixon, to give him his due, was at the center of the greatest political scandal in American history, bearing down on him for months and pushing him toward the greatest political disgrace and humiliation in his nation's political history. He was overseeing the Vietnam War, witnessing various domestic civil disturbances, grappling with foreign policy blowups which neared superpower confrontations. There was a lot going on. Trump has been President for less than four weeks. Aside from domestic, media driven and other crises of his own making, virtually nothing has happened.

But the man who just appeared before the press for a free-ranging airing of grievances looked tired, sullen and half broken. His bracing insistence that everything is going perfectly in his White House sounded desperate and bizarre.

He's coming up on one month down and 47 to go.

Bact PhD's Photo Bact PhD 16 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

Just watched #5 (nukes and Russia). My reaction was one part "No Shit, Sherlock" and one part "What in the HELL is he ON??"

Concur w/PG -- truly scary.

indy's Photo indy 16 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

WaPo reports that Flynn lied to the FBI last month with regard to his conversations with the Russian Minister. Conversations they have on tape. Lying to the FBI is a federal crime, which Scooter Libby could have told him.

https://www.washingt...0401_story.html

indy's Photo indy 16 February 2017 - 05:21 PM

That reminds me, wasn't he the one leading chants of 'lock her up' at the RNC? This is just too rich.

indy's Photo indy 16 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

That so-called 'press conference' is the second most surreal event of the year. It's only February though, so plenty of time to get knocked down a few notches.

golden_valley's Photo golden_valley 16 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

Sounds like the Prez vented his spleen at this press conference. Now that it's off his chest you don't suppose he'll now calm down and at least outwardly behave like a normal person? Nah, me neither.

LFC's Photo LFC 16 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

Jake Tapper on the press conference (bold mine):

“If you are a soldier in harm's way right now, if you are a hungry child in Appalachia or the inner city, if you are an unemployed worker in the hollow shell of a steel town, that's not a president who seemed rather focused on your particular needs and wants,” Tapper said. “That's a president focused on bad press.”

“It was unhinged, it was wild,” he continued, “and I can't believe there are Republicans on Capitol Hill and in the White House that don't understand that might play well with the 44% of the population that voted for the president, but a lot of American are going to watch that press conference and say ‘That guy isn't focused on me, I don't even know what he's focused on.’”

During the press conference, Trump admitted that he watches CNN, singling out anchor Don Lemon without directly using his name, even though he considers the network to be “fake news.”

With that in mind, Tapper directed a message directly at the president, who he said is still “fixated on whether or not he legitimately won the presidency.”

President Trump, if you're watching, you legitimately won the presidency,” Tapper told him. “Now get to work and stop whining about it.

AnBr's Photo AnBr 16 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

View PostLFC, on 16 February 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Then he's a false god. DUH!

Like this?

Posted Image

Traveler's Photo Traveler 16 February 2017 - 08:38 PM

View PostLFC, on 16 February 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

These are Schrodinger's Leaks; both fake and illegal.
You win the educated internet. But for your spell checker...