Dog Thread

Rue Bella's Photo Rue Bella 17 October 2019 - 01:13 PM

View Postandydp, on 17 October 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

There's a Yogi Berra thread ?

This thread ain't over till it's over.

LFC's Photo LFC 17 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

Posted Image

LFC's Photo LFC 17 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

It's ridiculous how many of these types of pics are available on the internet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

LFC's Photo LFC 18 October 2019 - 04:22 PM

Caring for a dog is a reasonably involved task, assuming you do it right and don't just toss them some food and water and then shove them out in the yard or kennel to get out from underfoot. There is, however, a body of work that shows the benefit to the elderly of the company of an animal like a dog. To that end a company has made a robotic dog with the help of Jim Henson's Creature Shop. It's feels a bit creepy but if it works then I'm all for it. My MIL is in an assisted living facility and is still pretty with it, plus she sees my wife several times a week and me about weekly, but I've seen too many others that could use the emotional stimulation.

There’s no shortage of social robots that promise to provide companionship, and the Tombot Puppy is the latest therapy robot to offer the kind of unconditional love that only a dog can give, provided the batteries stay charged forever. The golden Labrador retriever barks, wags, and responds to touch, providing emotional support to seniors, people with dementia, and anyone who can’t have a live pet. It’s funding now on Kickstarter and has already reached its $20,000 goal.

Tombot’s creators wanted the robot to look and behave as close to a real dog as possible, so they enlisted the help of Jim Henson’s Creature Shop for the design. As a result, Tombot moves a lot like an animatronic puppet, (it sort of reminds me of Falkor from The Neverending Story, which I’m not sure is good or bad) and its lifelike expressions are a little bit unnerving. My immediate response to Tombot was, “There’s pain behind this dog’s eyes.” It looks too sad! That’s the risk you take when you try to make something look realistic — for comparison, the Qoobo therapy cat pillow sidesteps this issue by foregoing a head entirely.

But ultimately, it doesn’t matter what I think, it’s not for me; it’s a therapy robot for seniors and patients with dementia. There have been studies around the benefits of robotic pets like Paro the seal, which have been shown to reduce stress and anxiety among dementia patients. It’s also entirely possible for humans to form emotional bonds with robots — just look at Sony’s Aibo dogs, which are given Buddhist funerals in Japan when it’s time to say goodbye; or the Lovot companion robot I declared as my son after playing with it for 30 minutes at CES. That said, Tombot’s potential benefits haven’t been proven in any studies yet.

Tombot is a lot more affordable than the $2,899 Aibo and the $3,000 Lovot, too. Early backers can get Tombot for $299, but it’ll retail for $500 when it launches, with a target date of August 2020. Although as with all Kickstarters, keep in mind that production issues could keep the project from delivering on time, and use your best judgment before backing.

Practical Girl's Photo Practical Girl 19 October 2019 - 11:48 AM

A robotic dog? So very wrong. One of the reasons dogs are so important in senior care is warmth and touch. Life, not qn imitation.

We've all heard my Max the Beagle stories. He is the softest dog you've ever felt, bar none. We get it from strangers, vet pros, friends. "He should have a texture named after him" was a great comment.

He eats like a king. A prescription brand of a food- and I'm not kidding- rabbit or venison and sweet potato. He gets regular walks. He has a yard to wander in. Is bathed appropriately, nails clipped- yep, he's spoiled.

When it's bed time, Max comes to our feet. He likes feet, he doesn't know why… But what a great landing place to put me to sleep.

Show me the bot who cares...

LFC's Photo LFC 21 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 19 October 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

A robotic dog? So very wrong. One of the reasons dogs are so important in senior care is warmth and touch. Life, not qn imitation.

The unfortunate reality is that the choice is robotic dog or no dog. They're talking about people with dementia who are incapable of providing the care that you do for a real dog. Walking alone is likely off the table. The other possibility is to have a full-time kennel with dog caregivers but now you have a lot more cost, liability issues (dog bites occur), and the question of what happens when a dog dies and leaves the person. While my initial reaction was to be a little creeped out if I'm all in with wherever the evidence takes me on this one. If it works then it's good.

AnBr's Photo AnBr 25 October 2019 - 06:53 PM

Posted Image

LFC's Photo LFC 31 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

And for your Halloween viewing pleasure here are some dog costumes including a Corgi dressed as a wrapped up Wawa hoagie.

AnBr's Photo AnBr 02 November 2019 - 05:37 PM

Posted Image

golden_valley's Photo golden_valley 23 November 2019 - 11:51 AM

Posted Image

Rich T Bikkies's Photo Rich T Bikkies 23 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 23 November 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Posted Image

Which pair of feet are yours, GV?

D. C. Sessions's Photo D. C. Sessions 23 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

View PostLFC, on 17 October 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

It's ridiculous how many of these types of pics are available on the internet.

Considering that cat pics rule the roost, it shouldn't be surprising that dogs and birds pack together.

golden_valley's Photo golden_valley 24 November 2019 - 11:57 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 23 November 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

Which pair of feet are yours, GV?

I wish I were in that photo. Here in the Central Valley of California we don't have such glorious autumnal foliage. I posted it because I had a dog that looked just like the one in the photo that happily wore neckerchiefs and took field trips with us.

AnBr's Photo AnBr 30 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

Posted Image

AnBr's Photo AnBr 14 December 2019 - 09:44 PM

Posted Image

AnBr's Photo AnBr 15 December 2019 - 12:39 AM

Posted Image

AnBr's Photo AnBr 15 December 2019 - 07:38 PM

Posted Image

golden_valley's Photo golden_valley 17 December 2019 - 06:41 PM

Out on a limb:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Rue Bella's Photo Rue Bella 17 December 2019 - 07:08 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 17 December 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

Out on a limb:

Since this is the dog thread, I'm assuming they are going to save the dog, and leave the cat to it's own devices?

golden_valley's Photo golden_valley 17 December 2019 - 08:26 PM

The cat went down on its own. Just needed the dog to be removed.