CA Electric Co. cuts power to help prevent wildfires.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7838 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:56 AM

As someone who lives in a fire-prone area, and who has PG&E as provider, I wonder how often they will turn off power to us costumers. I hate power outages, but I hate wildfires more. Last year they cut us off for a few days because of a small nearby fire.

https://www.usnews.c...-wildfire-risks

Pacific Gas & Electric said it will shut off power Saturday to about 1,600 customers in Northern California and may do the same for thousands more to reduce the risk of wildfires.

The utility announced Friday night that as of Saturday morning it will turn off electricity to customers in Napa, Solano and Yolo counties west of Sacramento.

The utility said it also will monitor conditions in parts of the Sierra foothills Saturday night through Sunday when they will be at peak fire risk. The company said it could decide to cut power to 30,000 customers in Butte, Yuba, Nevada, El Dorado and Placer counties.

That includes portions of Paradise, where a wildfire wiped out nearly 15,000 homes last year.

The warning came as forecasters issued the year's first red flag warning of high fire danger because of strong winds, low humidity and warm temperatures in portions of the Central Valley and areas north of San Francisco.

After downed power lines and PG&E equipment were blamed for previous fires, the utility has been under enormous pressure to avoid another deadly blaze.

What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

I suspect generator sales will be increasing in California. We had a crazy weather system go through our area last week. I ran into 12 separate road blockages trying to get home from work and saw several others that didn't impact me. We ended up being without power for 2+ days. When it's 80+ F and high humidity it sure is nice to know your AC is still running.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2122 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

Why do people live in California, I wonder. Earthquakes, droughts, wildfires, huge arid desert land, horrible commute, extremely high cost of living, homelessness in SFO, hippies! etc. etc.... And then I remember the PCH, the national parks, the variety in cuisine, the people, the industries...

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

View PostProbabilistic, on 10 June 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

Why do people live in California, I wonder. Earthquakes, droughts, wildfires, huge arid desert land, horrible commute, extremely high cost of living, homelessness in SFO, hippies! etc. etc.... And then I remember the PCH, the national parks, the variety in cuisine, the people, the industries...

Spoken like somebody who has never been to Kansas. Or Oklahoma. Or much of Texas. ;)
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2122 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

View PostLFC, on 10 June 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

Spoken like somebody who has never been to Kansas. Or Oklahoma. Or much of Texas. ;)

I haven't been to OK but have been to the other two states. Visit TX often for work. Spent 2 years commuting to Dallas and Houston, on a consulting gig, flying in and out, Mon-Thu. Similarly, visit CA often too. I can imagine living in Dallas or Austin but not in TX; can't afford CA.

#6 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

View PostProbabilistic, on 10 June 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

I haven't been to OK but have been to the other two states. Visit TX often for work. Spent 2 years commuting to Dallas and Houston, on a consulting gig, flying in and out, Mon-Thu. Similarly, visit CA often too. I can imagine living in Dallas or Austin but not in TX; can't afford CA.

Texas does have some enclaves but I've been through a chunk of the flat country and out near El Paso. No thanks. California has a lot of advantages but there are just too many people for our taste. And, as you note, it's crazy expensive in the areas where we'd be interested in living.

One thing I have always loved about living in the Philadelphia area is how different things are within an 8+ hour drive. (I'm one of those people who don't consider a drive to be "long" until it's at least double digits.) I can be in Bangor, ME, either Ottawa or Montreal with time to spare, Algonquin Provincial Park, Cincinnati (if I had any reason to go), just about anywhere in West Virginia, Virginia, and most of North Carolina, and as far south as Myrtle Beach, SC. That's some serious variety for an easy day's drive. You don't get anything like that in the middle of the country.

#7 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7838 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:32 PM

I suspect generator sales will be increasing in California.

And batteries. It will be interesting how this plays out. PG&E is doing it, in part, to cover their asses, but when enough people have been inconvenienced, and for long periods of time, they will start to complain. Not to mention all the food that will spoil if freezers

As for living in California, especially near the coast, I love it here. But unless you have $$$, or a good paying job, or are super frugal, you almost have to be grand-fathered in. Fortunately we had parents who bought an average home in the mid 50's and 'rode it up'.

Lots of people I know have used their long-owned Cali homes as their retirement savings. Sell their tract house for close to a million, and move to a more modest part of the state.

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 10 June 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

And batteries. It will be interesting how this plays out. PG&E is doing it, in part, to cover their asses, but when enough people have been inconvenienced, and for long periods of time, they will start to complain. Not to mention all the food that will spoil if freezers

Sounds like a perfect market for the Tesla Powerwall.

#9 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5633 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

I and my fellow former Midwesterners who live in CA agree that we'd rather face earthquakes than tornadoes. Earthquakes are usually far more infrequent.

I wonder though about PG & E's decisions to cut power. Are they trying to hold us hostage to get the legislature to limit their liability for PG & E caused fires?

#10 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7838 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:25 PM

I and my fellow former Midwesterners who live in CA agree that we'd rather face earthquakes than tornadoes. Earthquakes are usually far more infrequent.

Shhhhh, shhhhhhhhh! Dont tell them! Let them continue to fear the earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, droughts... We really don't want more people moving here looking to share our Paradise, do we?

I wonder though about PG & E's decisions to cut power. Are they trying to hold us hostage to get the legislature to limit their liability for PG & E caused fires?

That would be my guess.

#11 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9525 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:01 PM

Alternately, more storage on the grid is more storage on the grid.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#12 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7838 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 10 June 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

Alternately, more storage on the grid is more storage on the grid.

Can you explain? Something like money in the bank, I assume. The less you spend, the more remains.

Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users