Texas Republicans Will Vote on Whether to Remove Muslim-American From GOP Position Because of His Religion

20 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13623 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

https://www.newsweek...d-shafi-1285867

As the House of Representatives welcomes its first two Muslim congresswomen, Texas Republicans will vote on Thursday over whether to remove Tarrant County Republican party vice-chair Shahid Shafi from his seat because he identifies as a Muslim-American.

The vote comes after some members of the county party put forth a motion to remove Shafi, a Republican trauma surgeon and Southlake City councilman, from his position due to his Islamic beliefs.

Dorrie O’Brien, a precinct chair, expressed fear that Shafi would uphold Islamic law over the U.S. constitution and that he might be related “to Islamic terror groups.”

“We don’t think he’s suitable as a practicing Muslim to be vice chair because he’d be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable in the U.S., in Tarrant County, and in the TCGOP," O'Brien wrote on Facebook. "There are big questions surrounding exactly where Dr. Shafi’s loyalties lie, vis a vis Democrat and Republican policies.”

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10190 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

Any Jews in Tarrant County should take

We don’t think he’s suitable as a practicing Muslim to be vice chair because he’d be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable in the U.S., in Tarrant County, and in the TCGOP,

seriously to heart. Also Hindus, Catholics, Methodists, etc. more or less in Niemöller's order.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#3 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:01 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 10 January 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

Any Jews in Tarrant County should take

seriously to heart. Also Hindus, Catholics, Methodists, etc. more or less in Niemöller's order.

Better add Black, Latinos, Asians, and so on to the list as well.

Don't forget the gypsies and witches.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#4 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8069 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

As PG once said: What is wrong with these people?
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#5 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

What's wrong with those people?

They're racists and haters for starters. There's plenty else wrong as well.

#6 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6041 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

A lot of what's wrong with those people is ignorance and unwillingness to learn anything that might challenge their comfortable, easy assumptions.

#7 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9361 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

That's much more polite phrasing than I would have used.

#8 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8160 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

Oh, Lord. The Texas Leg begins their marathon 140 day session with real, live pressure and issues. Take your pic. Schools-State funding down, due to oil royalties (I think our GOPer President has said it's a "tax cut")- water rights, property taxation/valuation. On and on, yet there's always one or two with the stupid stuff. Dog whistles, that don't even resonate with the rest of the party.

Thus it is, every two years here. We also have Dan Patrick. I think his official title is Lt. A-hole-in-Chief, but most call him our Lt. Governor. He's been hard after the (failed) Bathroom Bill, and vowed during his campaign to get it to the Floor again, this session. Instead, he's declared victory in true Trump fashion:

"When you win the battle, you don't need to fight it again."

Or, when you have a boatload of Texans who come to the polling places to vote D on it all, something interesting happens. Entire courts get flipped from R to D. And a couple of those are courts who now will have nothing to do with Patrick's shenanigans.

I'm not a huge fan of voting for judiciary positions. On the other hand, we may not have turned TX politically blue. But taking a page from the GOPers, we took some of the courts. Bottoms up, Patrick!!
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#9 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5078 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

I don't know, I'd find re-election campaigns by Thomas and Kavanaugh quite amusing.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#10 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2014 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:37 AM

The Republican Party in Texas’ third-largest county on Thursday voted in support of its Vice Chairman Shahid Shafi against efforts to remove him because of his Muslim faith.

Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#11 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13340 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

139-49. That is close to 30% racists. Not like that is a surprise.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#12 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4471 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostTraveler, on 11 January 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

This should be the cue for me to slag off Texas in condescending hoity-toity Limey style. However, that's interdicted by the ghastly racist mutants that have felt enabled by the Brexit referendum to crawl out of the woodwork. I'm not sure dear old Blighty might not score more than 30%.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#13 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13340 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

Rich, thems is POGers only. I seriously doubt the rest of Texans are quite that batshit crazy. At least I hope so.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#14 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4471 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Well, we've got at least Beez and Prac as counterexamples.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#15 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13623 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostTraveler, on 11 January 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:

Rich, thems is POGers only. I seriously doubt the rest of Texans are quite that batshit crazy. At least I hope so.

As the saying goes, not all Republicans are racists, but all racists are Republican.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#16 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8069 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

View PostTraveler, on 11 January 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

I'd guess in that group it's more than 30%. Some would have been aware of how it looked and voted to keep the guy in spite of what they might really have wanted. Appearance is everything, and there will be future elections.

A question going forward is will Mr. Shafi remain a Republican. Probably yes, since a hallmark of being a good GOP is falling in line against one's own self interest.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#17 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2014 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

It's about 60/40 GOP/Dem here might be changing haven't seen recent numbers

Edit: Wikipedia shows 53/43 as of 2016
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#18 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13340 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

Wonder what the 2018 numbers are.

#19 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13623 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

View PostTraveler, on 11 January 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

Wonder what the 2018 numbers are.

Well, Beto did far better than most would have thought he cold have done a year or two ago.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#20 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10190 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

Yes, it's Republicans only. Remind me again how many that leaves in Texas. (PG excepted.)
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users