92 replies to this topic

#41 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29160 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

Doris Day passed at age 97. That's a hell of a run.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#42 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29160 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:43 AM

Doris Day, big band jazz singer.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#43 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13310 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:16 PM

From IMDB:

Throughout the filming, Doris Day became increasingly concerned that Sir Alfred Hitchcock paid more attention to camera set-ups, lighting, and technical matters than he did to her performance. Convinced that he was displeased with her work, she finally confronted him. His reply was, "My dear Miss Day, if you weren't giving me what I wanted, then I would have to direct you!

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#44 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7908 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:47 PM

Oscar Levant (?)(??): "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin."
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#45 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:59 PM

Wow 97. I had no idea of her age. She was a very good singer, nice phrasing. (hated Que Sera Sera though) I think of her fondly because at a certain point in her life, my mom resembled her. When I see the Day of the 1950's and 60's I remember my mom.

#46 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13310 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:03 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 13 May 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

Wow 97. I had no idea of her age. She was a very good singer, nice phrasing. (hated Que Sera Sera though) I think of her fondly because at a certain point in her life, my mom resembled her. When I see the Day of the 1950's and 60's I remember my mom.

Then there is the Pink Martini version. It was used for the pilot of "Dead Like Me" and is creepy. A sort of fusion with the Mephisto Waltz.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#47 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9805 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:35 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 13 May 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

I think of her fondly because at a certain point in her life, my mom resembled her. When I see the Day of the 1950's and 60's I remember my mom.

Yeah, that. For years after my father died I couldn't watch anything with James Garner because they looked disturbingly alike.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#48 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29160 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

Comedian Tim Conway died at age 85.

#49 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

View PostLFC, on 14 May 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

Saturday nights in front of the TV at my grandma's watching the Carol Burnett Show... Dang my childhood is dying off.

#50 Art_Vandelay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Location"Somewhere in Middle America"

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

I.M. Pei, Master Architect Whose Buildings Dazzled the World, Dies at 102

#51 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7908 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

10 buildings of I.M. pei. I was familiar with the one at the Louvre, but not the others. Or at least who the architect was.

https://www.dwell.co...e-love-193ed58f

#52 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4903 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 16 May 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

10 buildings of I.M. pei. I was familiar with the one at the Louvre, but not the others. Or at least who the architect was.

https://www.dwell.co...e-love-193ed58f

This would be a better list if they had the captions correctly matched to the pictures! The Art Museum at Cornell is identified as the Smithsonian, and it looks like (but not 100% sure) that there are other mix-ups as well.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#53 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29160 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

Grump Cat died at age 7.

Posted Image

#54 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7908 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:41 PM

Birdman beat me to it. :)

https://www.cbsnews....ract-infection/

"Grumpy Cat, viral meme sensation, has died at age 7"

7 years... not very old for a cat.

#55 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

Herman Wouk, age 103, author of The Caine Mutiny and many bestsellers that were turned into movies and tv miniseries... I spent a lot of hours reading his books. Unbeknownst to me at the time I read it, Marjorie Morningstar introduced me to the sort of New York Jewish life that I would later see first hand when I met and married.

#56 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29160 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:42 PM

Leon Redbone, age 69. I remember seeing him in a club in Richmond back in the late 80s.

#57 Art_Vandelay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:19 AM

Claus von Bülow, Society Figure in High-Profile Case, Dies at 92

In his best-selling book “Reversal of Fortune” (1986), Mr. Dershowitz recounted his role in aiding Mr. von Bülow. He began the book with a quote from a prosecutor involved: “This case has everything. It has money, sex, drugs; it has Newport, New York and Europe; it has nobility; it has maids, butlers, a gardener.”

#58 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:57 AM

Tony Horwitz, journalist.

Nice guy, met him once at a bookstore in DC. Pretty young, still, not a bad way to go. In town on a book tour, taking a walk in Chevy Chase, fell over dead.

https://www.npr.org/...iWBXFgsAspgDZf8

#59 Art_Vandelay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

Dr. John

Dr. John, a member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and a six-time Grammy winner, died Thursday morning from a heart attack, said publicist and social media manager Karen Beninato. Dr. John, whose real name was Malcolm John Rebennack Jr, was 77.

#60 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

A woman best-known to younger generations as "Anderson Cooper's mother," to my generation as a designer of blue jeans, and to a much older generation as "The Poor Little Rich Girl," Gloria Vanderbilt, age 95.

Gloria Vanderbilt was an artist, heiress, designer and philanthropist who, for many Americans, may be best remembered for her blue jeans. She died at the age of 95.
Vanderbilt's son, Anderson Cooper, announced her death Monday, airing an obituary for her on CNN. Vanderbilt had cancer, he said.

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users