#641 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29249 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

One down (a.k.a. Eric who?).

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) is reportedly set to end his presidential campaign.

According to the LA Times, Swalwell will abandon his campaign on Monday and announce that he’ll be running for a fifth term as a congressman.

Swalwell, who consistently trailed the polls at 1 percent or less, is the first to drop out from the mammoth Democratic field of more than 20 candidates.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#642 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13215 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:53 PM

I liked the guy, but not as a candidate.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#643 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29249 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:28 PM

Liz Warren's numbers are moving up. The money numbers, that is. (Not sure about the poll numbers.)

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) saw a massive fundraising surge in the last three months, lending further credence to her status as a frontrunner among a large 2020 presidential field.

In an email shared with supporters on Monday afternoon, Warren's campaign manager Roger Lau said that in the second quarter of the year, the Massachusetts Democrat raised more than $19.1 million from more than 384,000 people making more than 683,000 donations. The average contribution was $28 and, according to the campaign, more than 80 percent of second-quarter donors were first-time givers. The campaign said they now have $19.7 million cash on-hand.

That haul represents an enormous increase from Warren’s first-quarter fundraising—which, early on, raised doubts about whether her policy-centric campaign would resonate with voters. In the first quarter, Warren’s campaign said she raised more than $6 million, somewhat quieting those early concerns, especially as more than $1.4 million of that came in during the last week of the quarter.

The senator’s haul was accomplished after swearing off high-dollar fundraisers, a move her campaign has said allows her to focus on policy rollouts and near-constant grassroots events throughout the country.

Warren’s second-quarter tally puts her behind former Vice President Joe Biden, who recently announced raising $21.5 million since his late April launch, and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, who announced raising $24.8 million—the largest of the field so far.

But Warren’s second-quarter numbers beat out both Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), another competitor who has rejected high-dollar fundraisers, and Kamala Harris (D-CA), whose performance in the first Democratic debate has helped propel her poll numbers upward.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#644 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9819 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:33 PM

Not sure about the poll numbers?

The poll numbers are, basically:
[Biden Sanders]
[Harris Warren]
[Buttigieg]

And the rest in the noise.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#645 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5831 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 08 July 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

[Biden Sanders]
[Harris Warren]
[Buttigieg]

I heard an interview of William Weld, the other declared Republican candidate, former Rep. Governor of Massachusetts. He called Buttigieg a tall cool drink of water. His opinion means little to most voters, but Weld has been around the block a few times so I thought it was interesting to hear him say that.

#646 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 08 July 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

[Biden Sanders]
[Harris Warren]
[Buttigieg]

Biden and Sanders? My god. Why not Ted Kennedy?

#647 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9819 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 08 July 2019 - 06:53 PM, said:

I heard an interview of William Weld, the other declared Republican candidate, former Rep. Governor of Massachusetts. He called Buttigieg a tall cool drink of water.

Gotta be figurative. Buttigieg's office says he's 5'9" -- and I doubt that they're understating it.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#648 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9819 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

View Postgmat, on 09 July 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Biden and Sanders? My god. Why not Ted Kennedy?

Too far left.
— Nate Silver

#649 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13320 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:27 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 09 July 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

Too far left.

Not too far down?
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#650 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9819 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:35 PM

View PostAnBr, on 09 July 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

Not too far down?

Priorities, please.
— Nate Silver

#651 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7909 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:44 PM

What's shocking about the poll numbers is not who is ahead or who has gained ground - but rather that Trump is doing so well against almost all of them!

What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#652 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 09 July 2019 - 06:44 PM, said:

What's shocking about the poll numbers is not who is ahead or who has gained ground - but rather that Trump is doing so well against almost all of them!

Is he? I haven’t been looking at polls lately.

I thought he was trailing various possible D opponents.

#653 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7909 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:20 PM

View Postgmat, on 09 July 2019 - 07:30 PM, said:

Is he? I haven’t been looking at polls lately.

I thought he was trailing various possible D opponents.

Just judging by the poll LFC posted on the previous page:
http://www.talkradio...post__p__189971

No longer politically correct

#654 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:37 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 09 July 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

Just judging by the poll LFC posted on the previous page:
http://www.talkradio...post__p__189971

Damn

Oh well. My best friends just got a little place in Brittany. Maybe I can rent their shed.

#655 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9819 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:23 AM

View Postgmat, on 09 July 2019 - 08:37 PM, said:

Damn

Oh well. My best friends just got a little place in Brittany. Maybe I can rent their shed.

Bear in mind that once you get past the top two, there's a serious shortage of recognition. The fact that two female Senators who most people at best vaguely recall hearing about can basically tie Trump in a preference poll does not mean good things for Trump should either be nominated.

And that is in the absence of the usual airing of dirty laundry. Warren's already been scrutinized quite a bit and still comes out looking better the closer she's examined. Harris less so, but no big scandals either.
— Nate Silver

#656 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29249 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:07 AM

View Postgmat, on 09 July 2019 - 08:37 PM, said:

I've spent a week in Brittany. It's beautiful (at least it was when we were there in July years ago) but the food universally SUCKED.

#657 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:07 AM

View PostLFC, on 10 July 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

I've spent a week in Brittany. It's beautiful (at least it was when we were there in July years ago) but the food universally SUCKED.

My friends walk to a decent market, and I love to cook, so here’s hoping

#658 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13320 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:23 PM

"This should really worry Trump and the GOP for 2020"
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#659 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4309 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:13 AM

View PostAnBr, on 14 July 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

The link doesn't work. Have another go?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#660 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13215 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:42 AM

Maybe this? At the NetRoots convention:

The reason was a sense of urgency and, to be blunt, desperation to take the House back so it could be a check on Trump. A few of these very same progressives even admitted that in 2016 they had not voted for Clinton because they had supported Sanders in the primary and couldn't bring themselves to cast a ballot for, as they put it, the more hawkish and "Wall Street"-backed Clinton. But Trump had changed that demand for purity and replaced it with practicality, meaning they were now supporting anyone who was the Democratic nominee.

It was that very pragmatism that led the Democrats to capture the House, flipping 40 seats and winning about 10 million more votes than House Republican candidates, making it "the largest raw vote margin in a House midterm election ever," according to CNN.
(In contrast, in 2016, Clinton won the popular vote by a far smaller margin of about 2.9 million votes.)
Great article. If this is indeed the perspective of the Sanderites and greens, then we are in good shape.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

7 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users