#501 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 07 June 2019 - 09:00 AM, said:

Planned Parenthood does not get federal dollars for abortions.

That's only due to the Hyde Amendment that we've been discussing over in the election thread, right?

Title X money for preventative services (contraception, pap smears, STD tests). So the burden to pay for abortion falls on the low income women who are on Medicaid.

In the eyes of a not insignificant portion of the Republican base some forms of contraception are abortion. Yep, these people are nuckin' futs.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#502 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

Planned Parenthood does not get federal dollars for abortions. They get Medicaid reimbursement and some Title X money for preventative services (contraception, pap smears, STD tests). So the burden to pay for abortion falls on the low income women who are on Medicaid.

...for abortions per se. However, that’s a distinction without a difference to the hard core (yes, LFC, they are nuckin’ futs on this issue.). Money to the organization that does it = money for the procedure itself, period, full stop.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#503 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13436 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

View PostLFC, on 07 June 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

As an example there was a used car business near me that was around for a number of years and seemed to be doing fine. I bought my old Miata from that place years ago. They put up a giant Trump sign and somehow and in this economy (SE PA is doing very well) they collapsed. Maybe I'm reading too much into that anecdote but if you alienate even a quarter of your potential customer base you're going to feel it. We certainly swore we'd never go back as long as the ownership was the same.

In this very blue city there was a used car lot that had been around for years and was always busy. He hung out a big tRump sign and the traffic to that lot disappeared. A few months later it went under.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#504 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

Biden flip-flops on the Hyde Amendment. [sigh]

Former Vice President Joe Biden changed his official stance on the use of federal funds for abortions.

According to video of his speech at a Democratic gala in Atlanta Thursday evening, Biden said he would no longer support the Hyde Amendment, which bans the use of federal Medicaid funds for abortions. Just hours before, Biden reiterated his support for the amendment only to reverse course Thursday after he was castigated by reproductive rights groups and many of his 2020 challengers.

“I can’t justify leaving millions of women without the access to care they need, and the ability to exercise their constitutionally protected right,” he said. “If I believe health care is a right, as I do, I can no longer support an amendment that makes that right dependent on someone’s zip code.”

Biden said he decided to flip-flop on his past belief in light of the Republican-led attacks on women’s health care happening in conservative states across the country.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#505 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13436 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

From an Andrew Yang supporter
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#506 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2217 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

View PostLFC, on 07 June 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Biden is a poor campaigner. I don't even understand his rationale. He's now for repealing Hyde Amendment because Republicans are hell bent on outlawing abortion. Huh? If abortion is outlawed (or, severely restricted to make it nearly impossible to obtain) then making some public money available will not solve the problem. Public money cannot be used for things that have been rendered illegal or impossible to obtain, however much one makes it available. Who the hell came up with that justification?

Biden is a wobbly choice and may fall short of nomination, or be damaged by then.

#507 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13289 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

Planned Parenthood does not get federal dollars for abortions. They get Medicaid reimbursement and some Title X money for preventative services (contraception, pap smears, STD tests). So the burden to pay for abortion falls on the low income women who are on Medicaid.
I trust that medicaid is not paying, no? I seriously thought that PP had a fundraising arm put together a pot of money to assist poor folks. Color me ignorant. It doesn't change my view of the Hyde amendment though. If you read that Guttmacher article I posted, this really jumped out at me:

The tiny sliver of all sexually active women not practicing contraception (11%) accounts for the remaining half of all abortions.
That is indeed inexcusable. Due to lack of access to contraceptive services? Or just plain irresponsibility?

Bottom line, this a decent reason why they should not receive taxpayer funding.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#508 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:56 AM

View PostAnBr, on 07 June 2019 - 10:14 AM, said:

Interesting. I wonder how he'll do at connecting to crowds.

#509 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

View PostAnBr, on 07 June 2019 - 09:52 AM, said:

In this very blue city there was a used car lot that had been around for years and was always busy. He hung out a big tRump sign and the traffic to that lot disappeared. A few months later it went under.

I would not patronize any business that was overtly pro-Trump. Unless it caused me massive inconvenience. But that would be unlikely. With the internet, there are almost always options.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#510 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9953 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:46 PM

View PostAnBr, on 07 June 2019 - 10:14 AM, said:

So he's the long-sought economic liberal/social conservative who is fine with the New Jim Crow so long as the WWC get $12k per year?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#511 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:11 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 07 June 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

So he's the long-sought economic liberal/social conservative who is fine with the New Jim Crow so long as the WWC get $12k per year?

If only DSP were here to share this moment.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#512 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:15 AM

WTF, Joe? Did you sleep through your career as V-P? You know, in those years BEFORE Trump.

Former Vice President Joe Biden is hellbent on insisting that he can and will extract cooperation and bipartisanship from his Republican peers — and less rosy-eyed observers are getting angry.

At a fundraiser Monday night, he shared his faith in his GOP counterparts.

“With Trump gone you’re going to begin to see things change,” he said per HuffPost. “Because these folks know better. They know this isn’t what they’re supposed to be doing.”

His statement has echoes of what he said last month, when he predicted “an epiphany” among his “Republican friends” when President Donald Trump leaves office.

For some, the refrain is getting old.

#513 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3686 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:06 PM

The day after reading how phrases like "clinging to god and guns" or "basket of deplorables" did hurt the candidate and was obsessed over in the news media for far too long, we're now seeing a message where Biden is being pressured to say, in essence, "Yeah, the Republicans can just fuck off." Really?

The realization that the leading candidate MUST claim to be a uniter who includes rather than excludes is far too abstract of a concept for some.

Remember, Biden is setting himself up as the opposite of Trump. He's not Trump-but-Democrat. He's presenting the image of much better than Trump. The same is true even if someone else ends up the nominee. Trump the divider vs Biden the uniter. Republicans are exclusive; Democrats are inclusive.

Take those people aside and explain it to them. Use simple terms for they seem simple enough that they simply don't get it. This is big leagues. Start using strategy and cunning.

(Quick aside, the larger message Biden is portraying here is also a contrast to the Bernie-bros and the puritopians. Bernie also seems to have a bit of history acting this way.)
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#514 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:32 PM

Well it might be useful to look at how Biden has worked with Republicans in the past. The things he's done don't go down well with today's Democrats. Claiming the Republicans will change after Trump is likely to be rejected as utter nonsense by Democrats and Republicans alike.

#515 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3686 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:02 PM

I don't doubt that it's nonsense to believe that Republicans will actually change.

That doesn't change my stance that it's more strategically sound to act as if it's important to work with them and act as if the goal is to represent every voter in the country. It's extremely shallow thinking to try to force him into a "deplorables" moment.

What's the goal of these criticisms of Biden? Imagine him changing his stance to, as I put in in my previous post, "Yeah, the Republicans can just fuck off."

Which message is more likely to move the electorate? Is it "We don't want or need any Republicans" or is it "We feel we can work with everyone to make a better future for all Americans?"

I know there are plenty of people pushing this idea that swing voters don't exist. Yet, somehow, Clinton was enough of a decisive figure to enough people that we ended up with President Trump, Inc.

I'm not saying Joe actually believes republicans can actually be worked with. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. (I don't believe so, not that it matters much.) What matters is using the best tactics necessary to take back the White House and Congress. If one of those tactics is to say "We can work with them", then use that tactic.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#516 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:15 PM

Trump wants to stay in the land of denial. I saw go for it, Donny! Don't listen to your campaign and just be yourself.

During campaign rallies since he’s become president, President Donald Trump has repeatedly dismissed polls that reflect poorly on him as somehow representing “suppression,” or not including the 10 percent of people he thinks support him but refuse to say so publicly.

But his denialism about bad polling now reportedly extends to polls conducted by his own campaign.

As Politico recently detailed, the Trump campaign put together a 17-state polling project that found the president lagging behind Democratic frontrunner Joe Biden in key battleground states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan. But according to the New York Times’s Annie Karni and Maggie Haberman, after he was briefed about the “devastating” polling, Trump told his aides to deny it and instead tout polls showing him doing better.

As an aside I found this to be amusing

Along the lines of “other data” that shows him doing well, Trump on Monday evening tweeted a poll from his favorite pollster, Rasmussen, showing his approval rating at a relatively robust 50 percent.

Despite the Phony Witch Hunt, we will continue to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! Thank you!! pic.twitter.com/MXuiolM745
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 10, 2019

But there are a couple of reasons not to give much credence to Trump’s tweet. First, as CNN detailed in December, Rasmussen — which is known to skew to the right — was the least accurate pollster out of any that released generic congressional ballot polls in the runup to November’s midterm elections:

Rasmussen’s final poll was the least accurate of any of the 32 polls. They had the Republicans ahead nationally by one point. Democrats are currently winning the national House vote by 8.6 points. That’s an error of nearly 10 points.

Secondly, and relatedly, the Rasmussen poll Trump cited is an outlier when compared to others. For instance, RealClearPolitics’ aggregated polling of Trump’s approval rating, which includes Rasmussen, currently has it pegged at a much more problematic 44 percent, with 53 percent disapproving of his job performance.

#517 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

Smooth move, Joe. Very well played.

Former Vice President Joe Biden on Tuesday deftly handled a heckler who interrupted his speech in Iowa — and discouraged supporters from treating the heckler as protesters are treated at President Donald Trump’s rallies.

After a man loudly interrupted Biden’s address, the vice president spoke up to calm people in the crowd who were yelling and getting upset.

“No, no, no, that’s okay,” Biden said. “This is not a Trump rally, let him go!”

After things had calmed down, Biden told the heckler that he “promised” he would sit with him and answer his questions or concerns once he was finished with his speech.

This drew applause from around the room.

#518 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29894 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

Hey, Dems. Listen up. By all means keep investigating Trump but get off the impeachment bandwagon and hop LOUDLY onto the Pelosi populist legislation train. People want these things. You voted for a number of them already. Now get your f***ing lazy asses out in every media outlet you can find and keep banging the drum about how Senate Republicans won't even consider any of the things you want to do for the real people of America. Say it now! Say it loud! We've got an agenda for the American crowd!

One of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s arguments against a Democratic push for the impeachment of President Trump is essentially … “What’s the point?” With Republicans in control of the U.S. Senate, Pelosi has suggested that the upper chamber would ignore a House impeachment and allow Trump to remain in office. That’s almost certainly true. But the argument raises one obvious inconsistency: Under Pelosi’s direction, House Democrats have spent the past few months passing numerous bills on issues other than impeachment that Senate Republicans have ignored.

So what’s the difference between an immigration bill that’s going nowhere and an impeachment that’s going nowhere? The politics. (Duh!)

Pelosi has outlined an agenda of nine signature bills. Democrats have approved six of them. And Pelosi’s agenda, unlike impeachment, is popular with the public; it unites congressional Democrats and to some extent divides congressional Republicans. And these bills, as opposed to impeaching Trump, align well with what appears to be Pelosi’s broader strategy: to force GOP incumbents to vote against popular legislation in advance of the 2020 elections, protect Democrats in closely divided districts from tough votes, and keep the Democrats talking about and doing things that the public likes.

Five of the bills passed without a single ‘no’ vote from a Democrat. A bill to expand background checks to nearly all gun sales drew two “no” votes among Democrats — both from members who represent districts won by Trump in 2016. That’s more than 1,200 total “yes” votes for the Pelosi agenda among Democratic House members, compared with two “no” votes. Pelosi hasn’t quite split Republicans — the most “aye” votes that any of the six bills received from Republicans was eight (out of their 198-person caucus) — but voting against these bills probably isn’t ideal for the Republicans.

The key planks in the bills all have the support of the majority of the public — and some of them (like expanding background checks for gun sales) are extremely popular, according to polls. Here are nine proposals from the six bills that have passed the House and how impeaching Trump compares in terms of public support:

See the chart at the link for the list of each policy and its relative popularity. Get populist, Dems! And I mean that in a good way that's healthy for our nation.

#519 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9953 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

View PostLFC, on 11 June 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

Trump wants to stay in the land of denial. I saw go for it, Donny! Don't listen to your campaign and just be yourself.

Trump knows that he's much more popular than those polls show -- he can tell by the crowds at his rallies.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#520 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4987 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:19 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 11 June 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

Trump knows that he's much more popular than those polls show -- he can tell by the crowds at his rallies.

And Sean Hannity said so.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users