1324 replies to this topic

#481 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:04 PM

Alabama's favorite pedophile, Roy Moore, is pre-accusing the GOP of voter fraud. I guess what's good for the goose...

Last week was rough for Roy Moore.

He lost President Trump’s support before he even announced whether he needed it, got dissed by his former Democratic opponent and suffered the wrath of a Donald Trump Jr. tweet.

But the former judge and accused child molester is chalking the whole fallout up to a simple phenomenon — voter fraud.

During an interview with a conservative radio host, the “Jeff Poor Show,” Moore said he was “surprised” by the warnings from the “Washington establishment” against his election bid. He launched into a convoluted diatribe about how establishment Republicans are afraid he’ll win because he won’t join their “club” in the Senate.

“They’ve gotta come up with some reason to dissuade me so that their chosen candidate can get elected, who that may be, but it’s not me,” he said.

“Everybody has a right to run for the United States Senate,” he continued. “I will say this, the Washington establishment has more control over what happens in Alabama than people realize, just like the last election showed. That election was so fought by establishment Republicans and of course the Democrats which naturally would. … I think people should know that there’s an attempt to steal their vote.”

Last week both the President and Trump Jr. tweeted warnings about a possible Moore Senate bid. Republicans are concerned a Moore run would result in Sen. Doug Jones’ (D-AL) reelection. Moore says he has not yet made a final decision about running, but plans to make an announcement this month.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#482 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10273 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 03 June 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

I go to a hockey blog where they have an informal sarcasm font. I've refused to ever use it and have had to explain why on multiple occasions; it ruins the effect if you're declaring it ahead of time.

Use alt-text for the body and they can get the warning only by hovering over the text.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#483 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13369 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostJackD, on 03 June 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

A false accusation is a good reason to support Biden? Aren't there a few other things to consider about his candidacy that are more important?
No kidding. But the fact that they went to such effort speaks volumes about who they are most concerned about.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#484 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13772 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:42 PM

Biden unveils $1.7 trillion climate plan, paid for by reversing Trump corporate tax cuts

Former Vice President Joe Biden unveiled a plan Tuesday to put $1.7 trillion into clean energy research and infrastructure overhauls, funded by rolling back Republican corporate tax cuts.

The 2020 Democratic presidential candidate aims to use that federal investment to spur more than $5 trillion in state, local and private money for measures to address climate change, his campaign said. Biden would push for net-zero emissions by 2050, reenter the Paris climate accords and ban new oil and gas permits on public lands and waters.

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#485 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10273 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:59 PM

Personally I'm all for Biden being the front-runner for, oh, a year or a bit less. Let the Republicans unload all of their oppo and slander on him, then he steps out.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#486 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13369 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

I like him as VP.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#487 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

View PostTraveler, on 05 June 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

I like him as VP.

Biden as running mate with PG's beagle?

Their slogan could be 'Take a bite out of crime.'
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#488 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:23 PM

Yes it's very early but this can't look good to the folks inhabiting Trumpville.

There’s a new poll out of Michigan yesterday and it shows President Trump getting crushed by Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders.

This poll sponsored by The Detroit News and WDIV-TV is broadly similar to other national and state polls. Biden is strongest – or in this case shares the title – and Warren and Harris are the weakest, though they still both beat Trump. The different in this case is that Biden and Sanders both poll the same, beating Trump by a 53% to 41% margin. Buttigieg is 47%-41%, Warren 47%-43%, Harris 47%-44%.

Whether this shows Sanders getting stronger in general or whether it’s Michigan specific or just polling noise isn’t clear. We still have as an open question whether the non-Biden/Sanders candidates are a bit behind because of relative name recognition or other obstacles.

In general though these are very bad numbers for the President in what is supposed to be the heartland of his support, at least relative advantage as a Republican. Obviously his true heartland is in the Deep South.

But it also points to the geographical contours of the 2020 election. If Democrats win Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, Trump’s presidency is over. There’s lots of evidence that Trump is at a severe disadvantage in Michigan and Pennsylvania. The question is Wisconsin.

I think Democrats have many reasons to feel optimistic about Wisconsin. But it’s clearly a very different state in 2020 terms. The most significant thing that stands out to me is that Scott Walker came really close to holding on in the 2018 wave. Wisconsin is the unknown on which Trump’s presidency could very well stand or fall.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#489 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

Doug Jones (D-AL) is just fine with running against the state's highest profile pedophile Roy Moore.

Sen. Doug Jones (D-AL) on Wednesday washed his hands of Republicans’ anguish over the possibility of another Roy Moore Senate bid.

During an interview with CNN, Jones laughed at the drama surrounding Moore’s potential bid, calling the whole situation “amusing.”

“Everybody is running around like they got their hair on fire with the possibility of Roy Moore getting back in the race. We’ll just see how it goes, that’s their politics, not mine,” he said. “I am following the lead, I’m being an independent voice for Alabama, doing the things that are important, going right back to those kitchen table issues. I will let those guys fight it out, see what happens and see who lands and we will go from there.”

#490 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:02 PM

I think we're about to find out how big a non-negotiable abortion is in the Democratic primary with Joe Biden's support of the Hyde Amendment banning public money from being used for abortions. Although I'm very pro-choice I have to say that I'm kinda' with Biden simply because the country is so close to 50/50 (and has been so for two decades at least) on the issue. There's a big difference between a right and a funded right.

Joe Biden set himself apart from his Democratic competitors Tuesday by affirming his support for the Hyde Amendment, a law barring federal funds for abortion services, except in the cases of rape, incest, or when the mother’s life is in danger.

The former vice president’s campaign team told NBC News that Biden does not support repealing the 1976 law, which has become unpopular with Democratic candidates this election cycle.

The statement differentiated him from 2020 frontrunners like Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Pete Buttigieg—all of whom have pledged to repeal the amendment. It also set him at odds with the 2016 Democratic platform, which specifically called for a repeal of the Hyde Amendment, putting him in a potentially awkward position should he become the 2020 nominee.

“We are committed to our official Democratic Party platform, which is very clear on this issue. We support every woman's fundamental right to make decisions about her own body with her doctor and the repeal of the Hyde Amendment,” said Elizabeth Renda, DNC Women’s Media Director.

The announcement also drew outcry from reproductive-rights groups, who feel the law unfairly bars low-income women from accessing abortion. Even groups that generally do not speak out against other Democrats, such as Emily's List, NARAL and Planned Parenthood, put out statement's condemning it.

"At a time when reproductive rights are under consistent attack, it's unacceptable that a major Democratic nominee supports the Hyde Amendment," Emily's List President Stephanie Schriock said in a statement. "We hope that Vice President Joe Biden will reconsider this position and what it means to millions of women."

A source at Emily's List told The Daily Beast that they typically do not go after other Democrats, but that Biden's comments were so far outside of the party's stance they felt compelled to respond. A source inside a reproductive rights organization said they felt called to comment because they hadn't seen such a stark departure from a Democratic candidate so far, and wanted supporters to know they would not change their position.

#491 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13369 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:17 PM

I think most of us here think similarly. If 35% of women have them, that presumes a similar number of men who are OK with it, which is a pretty solid majority minority with direct experience. This is a pretty good summary of abortion rates in the US. Wish there was something more current. Only 11% are by women without contraceptives. Which is why many more women and men support the right to choose.

That said, Dems insisting that anti-abortion folks' tax dollars should cover these is downright scary IMO. There are a ton of ways to direct funding to PP via contributions if the Dems really cared. Which has worked fine so far, no? So what is this nonsense? I despair for the party. Talk about the hubris of the ignorant. What a bunch of frigging idiots.

Edited by Traveler, 06 June 2019 - 01:48 PM.

#492 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:52 PM

I do not care for Chris Cilizza, or at least his analytical skills. I believe in the past I have even used the term "lazy tool" when referring to him. However, he did bring something moderately interesting to the table yesterday:

The Republican Party isn't who you think it is

It isn't completely new information; I think we may have talked about it before. Nonetheless, it does have significant implications for the future. First and foremost, it implies that unless the Republican Party completely and finally implodes, the current dysfunction that seems so unsustainable is likely to continue for quite a while. The fact that this would crater the country has very little impact on this probability.

Non-college educated whites make up a very large demographic that isn't going anywhere in a hurry, especially in the reddest parts of the country, which make up a majority of the number of states even if the majority of the population of the country does not live there. Our Constitution gives states a lot of power to obstruct. The Democratic Party already has a lot of interest groups to keep happy. Serious attempts to recruit/win over a largely hostile demographic would make it hard to do so, unless it were crystal clear that said attempts were all-inclusive (e.g., universal health care helps everybody).

The most hopeful future I can envision that seems to have any significant likelihood has a future Republican Party that has lost enough in enough of the country for the big money that courts it to start looking elsewhere for useful idiots. This would inevitably end up making the Democratic Party even less Democratic, but at least the starting point would be significantly leftward of where the Republicans are now. I hope I am wrong about this. I probably am, anyway, as likelihood hasn't seemed to have much to do with American politics for decades.

#493 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:07 PM

View PostTraveler, on 06 June 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

I think most of us here think similarly. ...[snip]

That said, Dems insisting that anti-abortion folks' tax dollars should cover these is downright scary IMO. There are a ton of ways to direct funding to PP via contributions if the Dems really cared. Which has worked fine so far, no? So what is this nonsense? I despair for the party. Talk about the hubris of the ignorant. What a bunch of frigging idiots.
Moreover, for any number of voters that might align with Dems on, say, environmental issues, but are ambivalent about abortion, the insistence on using taxpayer $$ to pay for the procedure is an abhorrent deal-breaker.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#494 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:27 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 06 June 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

It sure explains the GOP's increasing hostility towards education at all levels. They don't want public schools and colleges which teach children to think. They want Evangelical Christianist madrassas to continually turn out a steady, dependable, and easily angered/aggrieved voting base.

#495 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:11 PM

It sure explains the GOP's increasing hostility towards education at all levels. They don't want public schools and colleges which teach children to think.

I'm not sure they are that specific about it. They don't value people who have been educated because they think they are looked down upon as uneducated rednecks (which often happens). Remember the negative power of 'clinging to their guns and religion'.

Many evangelicals frown upon education because they have seen 'good' children who go off to secular colleges come home no longer believing - or worse, 'out of the closet'. Of course that has something to do with critical thinking, but I am not sure clearer thinking is what they attribute loss of faith to. More likely 'brainwashing by dirty godless libruls', or falling prey to the 'homosexual agenda'.

(edited)
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#496 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6134 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 06 June 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

I'm not sure they are that specific about it. They don't value people who have been educated because they think they are looked down upon as uneducated rednecks (which often happens). Remember the negative power of 'clinging to their guns and religion'.

Many evangelicals frown upon education because they have seen 'good' children who go off to secular colleges come home no longer believing - or worse, 'out of the closet'. Of course that has something to do with critical thinking, but I am not sure clearer thinking is what they attribute loss of faith to. More likely 'brainwashing by dirty godless libruls', or falling prey to the 'homosexual agenda'.

(edited)

Religion is about faith and tribalism for this particular brand of people. It's drubbed into them and they are shielded from others who don't fit into their categories. So of course they think any contrary faith or thinking is imposed on their children when they go to college.

#497 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10273 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 06 June 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

Many evangelicals frown upon education because they have seen 'good' children who go off to secular colleges come home no longer believing - or worse, 'out of the closet'.

Or just plain don't come home. Why, oh why, would a good West Virginia boy from seven generations of West Virginia coal miners not want to come home to "West Virginia, almost heaven," his family, and the occupation that has supported them for time out of mind?
— Nate Silver

#498 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10273 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:36 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 06 June 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

Religion is about faith and tribalism for this particular brand of people. It's drubbed into them and they are shielded from others who don't fit into their categories.

Well, that and any of them who aren't adamantly tied to the old home and the old ways keep leaving for some reason.
— Nate Silver

#499 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:52 AM

View PostMSheridan, on 06 June 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

Interestingly they specifically mention Montgomery County, PA which is where I live. I live in the reddest part of the county and in the 20+ years I've been here I've seen obvious signs signaling a blue shift. Actual political signs on lawns are changing. The party representation in front of my polling place used to be clearly more heavily Republican but not anymore. The extra big Trump signs that popped up at a few businesses and homes VERY quickly disappeared.

As an example there was a used car business near me that was around for a number of years and seemed to be doing fine. I bought my old Miata from that place years ago. They put up a giant Trump sign and somehow and in this economy (SE PA is doing very well) they collapsed. Maybe I'm reading too much into that anecdote but if you alienate even a quarter of your potential customer base you're going to feel it. We certainly swore we'd never go back as long as the ownership was the same.

I think in my area there are a few factors that are causing this blue shift. One is the continued expansion of the Philadelphia suburbs. Housing is being built and companies are coming in to take advantage of the well educated workforce. We're a bit out from that but as a result the homes around me are affordable and more young families are moving out this way. Our home 10 miles closer to my job would likely cost 50% more. Our home on an identical nearly 2 acre wooded lot which is surrounded by other large wooded lots and wetlands that can't be developed would probably cost double. The red vote is either moving further into Pennsyltucky (Berks County is very red except perhaps right around Reading) or dying off due to old age.

#500 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6134 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:00 AM

View PostTraveler, on 06 June 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

I think most of us here think similarly. If 35% of women have them, that presumes a similar number of men who are OK with it, which is a pretty solid majority minority with direct experience. This is a pretty good summary of abortion rates in the US. Wish there was something more current. Only 11% are by women without contraceptives. Which is why many more women and men support the right to choose.

Planned Parenthood does not get federal dollars for abortions. They get Medicaid reimbursement and some Title X money for preventative services (contraception, pap smears, STD tests). So the burden to pay for abortion falls on the low income women who are on Medicaid.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users