1075 replies to this topic

#421 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13291 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

You seriously think going full metal jacket left is the answer? Seems to me that there are more folks in the middle that could be picked up than voters who don't show up.

Andy beat me to the punch...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#422 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30012 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostAnBr, on 15 May 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

Making a statement for bipartisanship alienates the entire left? That is not a call to capitulate to the right. That makes the entire left sound as unthinking intractable as the baggers where compromise is a dirty word. Personally I think that Repugs should pound sand, but we are talking about the voters that swung from Obama to tRump and made the difference in '16. They are *FAR* more reliable voters than the Bernouts that couldn't be bothered to vote for their messiah in the primaries.

The Bernouts seem to forget (or perhaps they just don't care) that there are many of us who disagree with their preferred choice. Sanders is not my choice and I won't support him, I will speak up against any of his policies I think are awful, I will almost assuredly vote for somebody else in the primaries, but if he wins I will vote for him over Trump (DUH!). Any person who prefers Sanders but can't substitute every other Democratic candidate's name in my last sentence and stand by that statement is useless in the fight to heal this country so f*** 'em. No more pandering to the extremes. Maybe one day (not likely) the Republicans will learn this. The Democrats need to learn it NOW.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#423 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7995 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

The Bernouts seem to forget (or perhaps they just don't care) that there are many of us who disagree with their preferred choice.

Not only disagree with him, but actually blame him for the election of Trump. As well as blame their idiot followers who said they wanted to 'burn it to the ground' rather than vote for Clinton. And they got their wish....

Last election Sanders was viewed as an irritation. This time he will be viewed as the menace he is.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#424 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30012 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

View PostLFC, on 13 May 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

This is a classic Republican outreach approach to women and minorities. Is it changing policies and rhetoric so they actually feel like there's somewhere in the party for them? Of course not! It's heading for pure identity politics. It comes down to nothing more than "Look! We have a black woman running!"

Whoo hoo! Looks who's first up; a Cuban born woman who is a staunch Trump supporter and a birther. She's a complete and total crank but she's an immigrant female crank so that makes it so much better. Apparently that's what Republicans call "diversity."

A House candidate that national Republicans have touted as an example of improved diversity recruitment has a long history of touting conspiracy theories — including a video that’s deceptively edited to make it sound as if President Obama said he wasn’t born in the United States.

Restaurateur Irina Vilariño is running for a Miami-based House seat against Rep. Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (D-FL), who unseated three-term Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-FL) last fall. National Republicans have highlighted the Cuban-born immigrant’s campaign to argue that they are recruiting a diverse class of candidates.

But while Curbelo frequently broke with his party and carved out a moderate image, Vilariño is a fierce supporter of President Trump, and her Twitter profile is packed with conspiratorial content that may not play well in the swing district.

In March, Vilariño retweeted a video that is edited to make it sound like President Obama says he was born in Kenya.

“It’s true, I’m not an American. I wasn’t born in Hawaii, I wasn’t born in the United States of America. I come from Kenya,” the first video makes Obama say.

In other recent tweets, she touted conservative provocateur Dinesh D’Souza’s suggestion that Obama cheated to get into Columbia University (“inquiring minds would like to know,” she said), highlighted a claim that liberal donor George Soros was behind an effort to torpedo Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation (“follow the money”), and promoted an unfounded claim that Christine Blasey Ford, who accused Kavanaugh of sexual assault, was a promiscuous alcoholic. That final claim comes from an account that touts QAnon, the far-right conspiracy theory that the “deep state” is out to get Trump.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#425 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9981 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

View PostAnBr, on 14 May 2019 - 10:38 PM, said:

Remember the Dem, whoever it is needs to win back those in the center.

View PostAnBr, on 15 May 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

Making a statement for bipartisanship alienates the entire left? That is not a call to capitulate to the right. That makes the entire left sound as unthinking intractable as the baggers where compromise is a dirty word.

The "bipartisanship" mantra has been a code-phrase for exactly that, e.g. making concessions to Republicans on the ACA to get "bipartisan" support that never arrived, playing along with Collins' perpetual "moderation" while she always finds a reason to support McConnell's program to play Lucy. It got old thirty years ago, and people have gotten the message: "bipartisanship" means reinstating the filibuster in the Senate (and all of the other mechanisms for blocking majority rule) as soon as Democrats get a majority and it'll be gone again as soon as Republicans do. It means that Democrats will nominate centrist judges that never get so much as a hearing in a Republican Senate and Republicans don't even pretend to have meaningful confirmation hearings.

When a Democrat talks about "bipartisanship" in the freaking primaries, it means that he'll appoint Republicans to Cabinet posts (and also the less visible ones) and otherwise spend his tenure in office trying to meet McConnell et al halfway. And then halfway to the next goalpost, and halfway again. In other words, the best you can hope for is an Eisenhower Republican who's running as a Democrat.

That might be better than another Trump, but is it enough better that people are going to stand in line until midnight to cast provisional ballots? Take time off without pay from work? (You can fill in the rest of the list if you like -- it's long.)

I'm not talking about Berners. I am talking about minorities and young people who agree with Democrats but don't see that electing them makes a difference because they're playing touch and the other team is playing rugby.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#426 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5944 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

While station shifting on a long drive I heard an unidentified commentator/pundit type say many Americans only care that Social Security and Medicare works and that their kids can get decent paying jobs. They perceive Democrats as paying all the attention to the fringe and none to them. Stuff about Trump's campaign or business practices, or what they perceive as attention to fringe interests (Black Lives Matter, MeToo, LGBTQ anything) doesn't have anything to do with them.

I wonder if this is correct and what your reactions to these statements are.

#427 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13461 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:29 PM

Re, Biden's commanding lead: https://www.washingt...-new-hampshire/

We cannot emphasize enough that actually voters in the Democratic primary are not far left and don’t want someone who is far left. Voters do want someone to carry on President Barack Obama’s legacy, not bad-mouth it, and their logical preference is Biden. (“Among those who say Obama is very important, 39% currently support Biden while 15% support Sanders, followed by Buttigieg (10%), Harris (9%), Warren (8%), Booker (3%), and Klobuchar (3%).")

Most of all, what Democrats really want to do is win. “The overwhelming majority (68%) of likely Democratic voters prefer to have a nominee who would be a strong candidate against [President] Trump even if they disagree with that candidate on most issues. If they were forced to choose, just 25% say they would favor a Democratic candidate who they are aligned with on the issues even if that person would have a hard time beating Trump.” Every candidate and every campaign adviser would do well to have these numbers displayed prominently in their headquarters. You do not have to chase the left. In fact, it’s a bad strategy.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#428 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4396 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:56 AM

Hm.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#429 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30012 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

Bill de Blasio is #23.

#430 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3690 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:56 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 15 May 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

While station shifting on a long drive I heard an unidentified commentator/pundit type say many Americans only care that Social Security and Medicare works and that their kids can get decent paying jobs. They perceive Democrats as paying all the attention to the fringe and none to them. Stuff about Trump's campaign or business practices, or what they perceive as attention to fringe interests (Black Lives Matter, MeToo, LGBTQ anything) doesn't have anything to do with them.

My reaction is that the failure of the 4th estate is nearly complete.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#431 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1868 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

Probably more truth to that than many TRSers would like to believe. Remember:

-More people can identify one of the Kardashians than they can a Supreme Court justice.
-Entire swaths of the US population rarely, if ever, knowingly encounter (live, in person) a member of the POC or LGBTQ communities. Or, if they do, it’s been a recent and begrudging encounter. Even Dear Daughter, in her just-completed college education, encountered classmates from the boonies whose first dealings with POC were at their small liberal arts school. Said classmates held cherished beliefs (tropes) about POC, too.
-“It’s the economy, stupid.”
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#432 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8149 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:17 AM

Since the older crowd represents the largest section of the voting public, I actually think that the perception is fairly spot on. The younger crowd of voters grew up with "Sally Has Two Mommies"- or whatever. Unfortunately for the right wing, public education worked to remove the stigma.Whoop-tee-tah, for them.

They "care" about Black Lives Matter/Me, Too etc. But they're growing into a world where income inequality isn't shrinking, but widening. For many, the "economy, stupid" means working two jobs. Driving all over hell and gone, because you can't afford to live where the jobs are.

After a while, they really do get sick of the fringe movements. Just like their parents/grandparents- they care. But they care about that which matters to them, as well. Many in this age group are starting to see the consequences of our current (cough) Administration's policy wants. They really are quite freaked out about medical care (just like Mom and Dad), as they can't help, financially. They're also quite concerned about SS, as that's another place they simply can't help with. Even those doing well have choices- either I make it/keep it/invest in my future, or I spend the rest of my life taking care of Mom and Dad.

No easy answers.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#433 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13461 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

Joe Biden is Ignoring Bernie Sanders

Former Vice President Joe Biden is running like it is his nomination to lose. Instead of getting into the weeds with Bernie Sanders, he’s brushing off his attacks like they’re nothing. Is this the right strategy for a front runner? Who the hell knows anymore?

"Bernie is trying to rekindle the magic of 2016, where he was the outsider running against a longtime member of the establishment," said Dan Pfeiffer, a former senior adviser to President Barack Obama. "The challenge is that this year there are no candidates with a claim to outsider status."

A Sanders representative declined to comment. Mark Longabaugh, an adviser to Sanders' 2016 campaign, said the senator ran then by pitting himself first and foremost against Wall Street, pharmaceutical drug companies and the billionaire Koch brothers, who fund conservative causes and campaigns.

Sanders' critiques of Biden come as the former vice president is taking the lead in many polls, displacing Sanders from the top.

For his part, Biden only nods at the tensions without mentioning Sanders by name.

You can see how hypocritical all of this is just by tracking the dishonest rhetoric of the Sanders campaign. Hundreds of millions of dollars were spent by Wall Street, drug manufacturers, and the Koch brothers to run President Barack Obama and Joe Biden out of office. He was in the administration that fought these people and gave the country the Affordable Care Act. He was on the receiving end of their abuse. This is just more of the same from Bernie. Instead of talking about what he plans to do, he attacks every Democrat in the race and tries to win by dividing the party that he’s too pure to actually join.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#434 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30012 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

The New York Post is mocking Bill de Blasio's candidacy.

Posted Image

They're not the only ones.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio’s decision to join the dozens running in the Democratic primary was met with a solid wall of negative reaction.

From derision to irritation to outright laughter, reactions from the Twitter-verse display the extent to which no one was clamoring for a President Bill de Blasio.

Maybe this will spook additional marginal types from trying to jump in.

#435 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5944 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

Love the headline of this article "Kamala Harris is the Jan Brady of the 2020 Race"

That’s become her caricature on the trail over the past few months, and it crystallized three weeks ago during a CNN town hall in New Hampshire. She kept responding to questions in the same way: ducking direct answers and saying, over and over, that she wanted to have “a conversation” about what to do. “[Harris] wants to study stuff. [Elizabeth Warren’s] college debt plan is ‘a discussion we should have.’ Reparations is “something we should study,” tweeted the former Barack Obama strategist David Axelrod, annoying but rattling members of the Harris team I spoke with.
snip

“This is not a game show where you’ve got a buzzer, and you should hit the buzzer, and you can win some money,” Harris told me over the phone last week. “I think we need to really agree that shouldn’t be the kind of incentives we’re having”—that “the pundits will be clapping and happy if, within 30 seconds, you answer the question that’s on the board.”

The problem for Harris, though, is that other people are winning the game. Pete Buttigieg has leapfrogged her in the polls, with both voters and the press drawn to his accessibility and constant off-the-cuff answers; Warren has been getting attention for her nonstop release of policy proposals; and other candidates have gotten noticed by making their own impromptu news.

She's got a point. The media distorts the conversation because it wants to have quick sound bites to use to compare and contrast candidates.

#436 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7995 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

She's got a point. The media distorts the conversation because it wants to have quick sound bites to use to compare and contrast candidates.

She does have a point. But alas that's not how elections are won these days. Very few pay attention to anything longer than a 'sound bite' or tweet. You've got to make your point before someone is asked to listen, but gets bored and hits the remote control.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#437 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30012 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 16 May 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

She announced her candidacy nearly 4 months ago. Who knows how long she considered a run before that. She's a U.S. Senator which means she's supposedly up on the major issues of the day. She should have a pretty strong opinion on these issues by now, certainly as strong and more informed than many of the other candidates. She doesn't need to have a detailed policy for everything but she needs to be well on her way and explain where she's at.

I've pretty much ignored her so far. Other than "he speaks well" I've been the same for Buttigieg. If either of them (or any other candidate) wants me to really pay attention then they're going to have to show me something.

#438 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8149 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

Right now, most of the field is afraid to come out with anything specific. God forbid, any one candidate break out who either has a legislative record (or otherwise) and then has to eat their words. Better to beat up on Joe (or even Bernie) than actually tell us what you'd do. Specifically, in the things that matter. If I were voting for Researcher in Chief, in would be different. Would let them think all day long. But I'm not.

Tis the problem with this size field. I don't even know how many- 240? :)
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#439 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

I realize, PG, that you are a Biden supporter but I think you'll have some difficulty justifying his campaigning in Michigan in the 2018 midterms for a Republican candidate for the House as well as his claim in 2011 that after the election the Republicans would become bipartisan and cooperate or his current claim, after experiencing McConnell's intransigence, that they will do so once Trump is removed. Plenty of his opponents have made concrete proposals.

#440 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30012 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

Still love me some Liz!

Sen. Elizabeth Warren made clear Wednesday that she has no sympathy for one of the Trump administration’s top bank regulators after he called a tough line of questioning on Wells Fargo “insulting.”

“Good,” responded Warren, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate, after Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) chief Joseph Otting objected to the Massachusetts senator’s criticism of the Trump administration’s bank-friendly regulatory practices and lack of transparency.

The Massachusetts senator pushed Otting on his plan to keep secret the Trump administration’s assessment of the successor to former Wells Fargo CEO Tim Sloan, whose scandal-plagued tenure ended with his abrupt resignation in March.

Warren—who frequently called for Sloan’s ouster and applauded when he stepped down—asked Otting to commit to “publicly disclosing the OCC’s evaluation of the ‘competence, experience, character, or integrity’ of the next Wells CEO.”

When Otting refused—citing his “prerogative”—and claimed “no one has been more tougher [sic]” on Wells Fargo than himself, Warren said, “At the OCC? That’s a low bar.”

“I find that insulting that you would make that comment,” said Otting, to which Warren replied, “Good.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users