Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2158 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:27 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 02 April 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

Please!
No one throws his supporters and sycophants under the bus better than The Dumpster. In this one way, he truly is world class, except that he's not (yet) resorting to torture and execution. That's for his second term.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#1742 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14677 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:36 PM

View PostLFC, on 02 April 2020 - 02:59 PM, said:

Suck it, Sessions.

Mushroom?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#1743 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11081 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:50 PM

View PostAnBr, on 02 April 2020 - 05:36 PM, said:

Mushroom?

Ewwwww!

No, but it's bad enough sharing a surname with Jefferson Beauregard III without people using my perfectly good and honorable name as though we can be lumped in with him.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1744 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34157 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:05 PM

Mushroom?

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1745 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2158 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:49 PM

View PostLFC, on 02 April 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

Posted Image
Just ask Stormy
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#1746 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34157 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:56 PM

Some people need this stapled to their foreheads and the backs of their hands so it's always in view until they wise up.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1747 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4833 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:08 AM

Mushroom?

Barley sugar.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#1748 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5409 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:58 AM

Mushroom?
Are you all daring me to bring back my old avatar?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1749 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14677 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 04:35 AM

View PostLFC, on 02 April 2020 - 08:56 PM, said:

Some people need this stapled to their foreheads and the backs of their hands so it's always in view until they wise up.

Posted Image

There is a fourth one that was about 15% or so of the Sanders supporters. The ones that were so upset that Sanders lost the nomination that they voted for tRump themselves.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#1750 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14677 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

Donald Trump is the only real winner if Bernie Sanders remains in the Democratic primary

There is not a lot of certainty in the midst of an unprecedented pandemic, but two things are increasingly clear: one, that Donald Trump is unfit to serve in the Oval Office and cannot be re-elected president in November; and two, that Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., needs to drop out of the Democratic primary.

Former Vice President Joe Biden is the Democrats' best chance to beat Trump at the ballot box — even if it’s remote or virtual — this November, and there is virtually no way for Sanders to win enough delegates to best him in the remaining primaries. Thus, the longer that Sanders yet again remains in the race, the more it yet again hurts the Democrats’ chance at winning the White House.

Plus, continuing to attack a Democratic candidate looks ridiculously tone deaf as his fellow Americans battle the virus that Trump allowed to spread unchecked.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#1751 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7553 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:23 AM

So I noticed something interesting that I haven't seen talked about.

Trump's approval has been rallying in most polls, due to a "rally 'round the flag" effect -- except one. Rasmussen.

Everyone knows this poll leans R and it has always given him the best numbers for the many months I've tracked this on 538. But now he has worse numbers there than he has had in a while.

What this tells me is that his base is unhappy with him. And older voters, which probably support him most, are scared and unhappy.

Even though his overall approval is almost back above water, he's not in good shape. And we are barely getting stared on the pandemic. Of course the Dems will try to find a way to blow it but...

Posted Image
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#1752 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2121 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:09 AM

I don't know if the Democrats "will find a way to blow it", but the voters may. It wouldn't be the first time.

#1753 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34157 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:24 PM

Joe Biden isn't just the presumptive Democratic nominee, he's acting like it. Nice.

Joe Biden disclosed Friday evening he has told his Democratic rival Bernie Sanders that he is moving forward with cabinet and vice presidential picks.

Biden told donors at a virtual fundraising event his campaign is to unveil a committee to vet potential vice presidential candidates “sometime in the middle of the month," and said he has held discussions with others about potential cabinet positions.

"One of the things I learned a long time ago, and I really mean this, a good leader has to be willing to have people that are smarter than them, know more than they know about a subject, bring in people who in fact have an expertise you don’t have,” Biden said, according to a pool report.

“And so I am in the process and I actually had this discussion with Bernie. He’s a friend. We’re competitors. He’s a friend. I don’t want him to think I’m being presumptuous but you have to start now deciding who you’re going to have background checks done on as potential vice presidential candidates and it takes time,” Biden added.

It was the first time the former vice president has disclosed holding a private conversation with Sanders since the Democratic primary became a two-person race. Conversations have been happening at a staff level between the two camps.

And then there's the egotistical, self-centered, me me me douchenozzle.

Sanders has said recently he believes he still has a narrow path to the nomination, despite a significant delegate deficit against Biden.

#1754 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5409 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:57 PM

View Postcmk, on 04 April 2020 - 08:23 AM, said:

So I noticed something interesting that I haven't seen talked about.

Trump's approval has been rallying in most polls, due to a "rally 'round the flag" effect -- except one. Rasmussen.

Everyone knows this poll leans R and it has always given him the best numbers for the many months I've tracked this on 538. But now he has worse numbers there than he has had in a while.

What this tells me is that his base is unhappy with him. And older voters, which probably support him most, are scared and unhappy.

Even though his overall approval is almost back above water, he's not in good shape. And we are barely getting stared on the pandemic. Of course the Dems will try to find a way to blow it but...

Also, while the early phase of the epidemic has largely centered in blue areas of the country, I think it's starting to change. That's certainly been the case in my state (WA) where the epidemic started in the Seattle area, but after social distancing and other adaptations, is now spreading mostly in the largely red areas of the state. I think that's going to be a consistent theme. The "this is all a big conspiracy" viewpoint is going to get old real fast when the already anemic medical system outside metro areas gets overwhelmed and people have no jobs, no money, and no health insurance.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1755 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11081 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:37 AM

View PostLFC, on 04 April 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

And then there's the egotistical, self-centered, me me me douchenozzle.

He does, too: Biden dies.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1756 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2849 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:03 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 05 April 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

He does, too: Biden dies.

True enough. As it happens, that was the stated (on multiple occasions) rationale for Clinton staying in the race in 2008. Someone might assassinate Barack Obama before the election. I never completely forgave her for that. I gave her a mulligan the first time, but she just kept on saying it. I'm not happy with Sen. Sanders these days, but I'd be even less happy were I to discover he had voiced the possible demise of his opponent as a reasonable reason to stay in.

#1757 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11081 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:28 PM

View PostMSheridan, on 05 April 2020 - 11:03 AM, said:

I'm not happy with Sen. Sanders these days, but I'd be even less happy were I to discover he had voiced the possible demise of his opponent as a reasonable reason to stay in.

It's a lot more plausible with Biden pushing 80 than it was with Obama not even 50 yet. Of course, replacing one (near) octogenarian with another in even worse health doesn't strike me as a stellar contingency plan.

OTOH, once Biden has designated successor it's going to get even uglier if he does have to drop out, eh?
— Nate Silver

#1758 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2193 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:52 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 04 April 2020 - 08:57 PM, said:

Also, while the early phase of the epidemic has largely centered in blue areas of the country, I think it's starting to change. That's certainly been the case in my state (WA) where the epidemic started in the Seattle area, but after social distancing and other adaptations, is now spreading mostly in the largely red areas of the state. I think that's going to be a consistent theme. The "this is all a big conspiracy" viewpoint is going to get old real fast when the already anemic medical system outside metro areas gets overwhelmed and people have no jobs, no money, and no health insurance.

I think we’ll see a similar trajectory in Flori-DUH. There’s still a sentiment in the interior & northern parts of the state that it’s an issue for those heathens in South Florida to deal with. I don’t expect Dade & Broward Co.s to peak for another couple weeks, then the other large metros. Meanwhile, the red swaths will start getting cases “out of nowhere”, overwhelming their systems...and spilling over to the major facilities in my area, Jax, Orlando, & Tampa.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#1759 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8454 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:53 PM

https://thehill.com/...020-race-report

Some of Sen. Bernie Sanders' (I-Vt.) top aides and supporters have urged the 2020 Democratic presidential candidate to drop out of the primary race, sources familiar with the situation told The Washington Post.
Sanders' campaign manager Faiz Shakir and Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), one of the senator's top surrogates, were both part of the group that has pressed for him to suspend his campaign, according to the sources.
Other Sanders aides and allies such as national campaign co-chair Nina Turner have reportedly encouraged the 78-year-old to stay in the race.
“Millions of people are counting on him to be on the ballot so they can vote for that alternative vision that they support,” Larry Cohen, a longtime supporter who chairs a nonprofit associated with Sanders, told the Post. “If he was not on the ballot, they will feel abandoned.”

“If he was not on the ballot, they will feel abandoned.” - to these people I say, Grow Up!
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#1760 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34157 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:04 AM

View PostRue Bella, on 05 April 2020 - 07:53 PM, said:

“If he was not on the ballot, they will feel abandoned.” - to these people I say, Grow Up!

"But I need to cast my meaningless vote!" There are those that just can't accept that their guy lost and pretty badly. They were soooooo sure the rest of the country wanted him. Most of their friends did and that's pretty representative of the nation as a whole, right?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users