#1101 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1947 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

A good piece on the lasting damage

It's too bad Frum didn't see the logical consequences of the crime family he helped to navigate for the past few decades. But I'll take a repentant sinner over the obtuse MAGAt or currently cowardly GOP office holder there now, any time.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#1102 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31668 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:24 AM

Trump gives a rousing speech filled with praise and support for Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin. (Just kidding. He was pure Trump.)

In a characteristic speech full of digression and focus on his own problems, President Donald Trump stumped in Kentucky Monday ostensibly to pump up Republican turnout for Gov. Matt Bevin’s ® reelection race Tuesday.

According to Politico, Trump ally Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) also took to the stage to demand the unmasking of the whistleblower who touched off the impeachment inquiry.

Many in the audience reportedly wore shirts emblazoned with “read the transcript,” an odd mantra for Trump and his fans who insist that the fairly blatant quid pro quo in the White House’s call memo of Trump’s call with the Ukrainian President is a “fake news” concoction.

In the course of his hour-and-twenty-minute speech, Trump eventually made his way back to the subject at hand.

“We work together. Now he is difficult, I have to say. You know. Maybe it’ll cost him the election,” Trump said of Bevin. “He’s such a pain in the ass. But that’s what you want.”

While this is part of the 2019 election it's here because it's an indicator of Trump's popularity in what should be an easy win state.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1103 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2188 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

“We work together. Now he is difficult, I have to say. You know. Maybe it’ll cost him the election,” Trump said of Bevin. “He’s such a pain in the ass. But that’s what you want.”
With friends like these...
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#1104 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8128 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

The MAGAts will eat that endorsement up - it's proof of Trump's 'honesty'.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#1105 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

View PostLFC, on 05 November 2019 - 11:24 AM, said:

Trump gives a rousing speech filled with praise and support for Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin. (Just kidding. He was pure Trump.)
While this is part of the 2019 election it's here because it's an indicator of Trump's popularity in what should be an easy win state.

So with 98% in, Bevin trails by 1%.

And in Virginia, it seems pretty certain that the Dems will win control of both Houses of the General Assembly (as of now, have won or are leading in 22/40 seats in the State Senate, and 52/100 seats in the House of Delegates).
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1106 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:52 PM

Update: in Kentucky, the D leads by 0.3% with essentially all the votes counted.

In the VA State Senate, the D's have won 21/40 seats for control of the chamber, and are leading in one more. In the House of Delegates, the D's have won 49/100 seats and are leading in 6 more, so control is virtually certain.

But the R's are ahead in the MS Governor's race.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1107 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13989 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:07 PM

The Wikipedia entry on Andy Beshear has already been updated calling him Governor-elect. https://en.wikipedia...ki/Andy_Beshear
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#1108 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:32 PM

On the bright side, Trump can now appoint Bevin acting Secretary of Whatever.

#1109 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13989 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:34 PM

That loser?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#1110 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:46 PM

View PostAnBr, on 05 November 2019 - 10:34 PM, said:

That loser?

Well, he can't appoint Cuccinelli to anything else without, you know, going to the Senate.

#1111 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10364 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:56 AM

Apparently, he can -- maybe. Appoint the Cooch to an obscure slot [1] in DHS that is currently open [2], change the order of succession, and then promote him to [1] Secretary of DHS more or less automatically.

[1] Acting, of course
[2] perhaps because it involves work and no headlines
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1112 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9376 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:12 AM

After the Kentucky and Virginia results, many elected Republicans may realize that self-preservation could mean running away from Trump, at least in marginal districts. I won't hold my breath, of course, the party being what it is, but the writing seems to be there on the wall.

#1113 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10364 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:33 AM

I suspect that's what the impeachment timing is planned to exploit.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#1114 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13400 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:33 AM

View Postindy, on 06 November 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

After the Kentucky and Virginia results, many elected Republicans may realize that self-preservation could mean running away from Trump, at least in marginal districts. I won't hold my breath, of course, the party being what it is, but the writing seems to be there on the wall.
Do marginal POG districts exist? Snark aside, seems to me those are pretty rare, and getting only rarer. We got a few outside Philly. The fact that a rally and massive turnout based on impeachment disapproval didn't turn the blue tide toward Beshear is certainly encouraging. In Kentucky no less. That's a 30-point swing from 2016.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#1115 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3415 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

Go Virginia!!

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8gy5a4wMpIw

Now for some intelligent legislation, evrything from guns to ERA

And my personal favorite

http://www.virginiap...rijuanarec.html

#1116 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2304 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

View Postindy, on 06 November 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

Writing on the wall? But the big, beautiful wall is see-through. Instead it's so much easier to heed Trump's exhortations of "Read the Transcript" that have started showing up on T-shirts. Trump is of course banking on the notion that most of his supporters will not read the transcript.

I think the Democrats should come up with a counter T-shirt:

Read the transcript.

Says,

Want javelins? First do me a favor, though.

#1117 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8128 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:34 AM

https://www.thedaily...e-wins-election

A Virginia woman who famously lost her job after she was photographed flipping the bird at President Donald Trump’s motorcade in 2017 has won a seat on a county board of supervisors. Juli Briskman became an unwitting hero to many when she was revealed to be the cyclist pictured giving the middle finger to Trump and his caravan of SUVs as he pulled out of one of his golf courses. Briskman was then asked to leave her government contracting job or face termination. She sued and won a severance claim, but her wrongful-termination lawsuit was dismissed. With 99 percent of the vote reported by the Loudoun County Office of Elections on Tuesday night, unofficial returns showed Briskman, a Democrat who campaigned on a pledge of increased transparency in local government, ahead of Republican incumbent Suzanne Volpe with 52 percent of the vote.

More writing on the wall from lower on the ballot in VA.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#1118 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31668 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:41 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 05 November 2019 - 09:52 PM, said:

Update: in Kentucky, the D leads by 0.3% with essentially all the votes counted.

From the Department of Elections Have Consequences we see a Democrat who has learned from Republicans; move fast, move hard, and pay no attention to the opposition. These are the rules that the Republicans created so no whining.

The New York Times has Beshear at 49.2 percent to Bevin’s 48.8 with 100 percent of precincts reporting. The latter has refused to concede, citing “more than a few irregularities,” but no specifics.

Beshear gave a victory speech anyway, saying that he’d not yet spoken to Bevin. “My expectation is that he will honor the election that was held tonight, that he will help us make this transition.”

“Let’s wish this governor and his family the very best,” he added.

He also promised that in his first week in office, he’d “rescind this governor’s Medicaid waiver,” “give this state a brand new board of education” and “restore the voting rights of more than 140,000 citizens.”

Kentucky has no mandatory recount law, meaning that Bevin would have to take his case to the courts. He can also ask that counties check that the votes they already counted were tallied correctly.

And what did AnBr say?

View PostAnBr, on 05 November 2019 - 10:34 PM, said:

That loser?

Oh, yeah. Big time. Under the Trump bus in the blink of an eye.

Bevin’s shocking loss is an outlier in the Bluegrass State, as every other statewide contest Tuesday night went to the Republican.

While the outcome is certainly a commentary on Bevin’s deep and bipartisan unpopularity, it also sheds light on the limitations of President Donald Trump’s coattails.

The President stumped in Kentucky, his arm draped around Bevin’s shoulders, just two days ago. He implored his supporters to vote, telling them it “sends a really bad message” if Bevin loses. The incumbent also took pains to nationalize the race, impugning the impeachment inquiry and modeling himself as Trump’s mini-me.

Beshear, on the other hand, avoided impeachment and national Democrats at all costs, homing in on “bread and butter” issues like healthcare and the state’s public school system. He ran up the margins in city centers like Louisville and Lexington and their suburbs, capitalizing on the lack of GOP enthusiasm for Bevin.

Trump immediately tried to distance himself from Bevin’s apparent loss.

BTW when Trump was stumping for Bevin he had this to say. Yes it was said lightly but you know this stings his fragile ego.

"If you lose, they're going to say Trump suffered the greatest defeat in the history of the world. This was the greatest. You can't let that happen to me!"

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1119 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10364 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

View PostTraveler, on 06 November 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

Do marginal POG districts exist?

Actually, yes -- that's the whole point of gerrymandering. Granted, they get to pick the "margins," but a solid-red district is wasted votes. It's the solid-blue districts where they want the votes to be wasted.
— Nate Silver

#1120 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10364 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

View Postgmat, on 06 November 2019 - 08:41 AM, said:

Go Virginia!!

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8gy5a4wMpIw

Now for some intelligent legislation, evrything from guns to ERA

And my personal favorite

http://www.virginiap...rijuanarec.html

How about a decent SLAPP law?
— Nate Silver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users