1581 replies to this topic

#1261 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:29 PM

It turns out that Zelensky very nearly delivered the Biden announcement as he was being extorted to do.

The stage was set.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky had received an ultimatum from the Trump administration. He was negotiating to sit for an interview with CNN host Fareed Zakaria. And Zelensky was prepared to do it: The President of Ukraine would go on international television and announce investigations into President Donald Trump’s domestic political opponent.

And then, Zelensky didn’t do it.

Over the course of a few nail-biting days in early September, Trump nearly obtained the “deliverable” he had sought from Ukraine for months. He’d wanted Zelensky to publicly announce investigations into Joe and Hunter Biden and purported Ukrainian meddling in the 2016 U.S. elections — perfect fodder for Trump’s 2020 reelection campaign.

The President had placed a hold on a nearly $400 million aid package to Ukraine, and the Ukrainians were feeling the heat.

The date for the announcement was reportedly set for Sept. 13. But just before Zelensky went public, the security aid was released — and the public learned of a whistleblower’s complaint that would come to rock Washington and endanger Trump’s hold on the Oval Office.

A look at the chronology reveals just how close Trump came to extracting what he wanted from Ukraine’s president.

On Aug. 12, an aide to Zelensky offered a generic anti-corruption statement to the American officials pushing for an announcement, who showed it to Giuliani. The former New York mayor “did not find that convincing” because it didn’t mention the specific probes Trump wanted, then-U.S. special envoy to Ukraine Kurt Volker later testified.

So Volker sent back an amended proposal specifically mentioning the specific probes — the Ukrainians refused.

The pressure campaign, at this point, intensified: Politico, in an Aug. 29 article, revealed publicly that the nine-figure aid package Congress approved for Ukraine had been held up for months.

“Need to talk with you,” Andrey Yermak, an aide to Zelensky, texted Volker in response to the story. Taylor testified later that he began receiving “desperate” calls from Ukrainian officials worried about the money. By law, if the money wasn’t spent by Sept. 30, it would be lost forever — a deadline of which Zelensky was painfully aware.

But the pressure campaign continued. And now, the aid money was explicitly involved.

On Sept. 9, the White House pressure campaign on Ukraine met a severe obstacle: Congress.

The Intelligence Committee’s inspector general notified Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-CA) that acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire was withholding a “credible” whistleblower’s complaint.

Schiff wrote to Maguire demanding the complaint. But Maguire provided nothing — later, he testified that he approached the White House after receiving the complaint, and that the White House said the phone call between Trump and Zelensky described in it was subject to executive privilege.

Also on Sept 9th, three congressional committees launched an investigation into whether Giuliani strong-armed Ukraine “to assist the President’s reelection campaign.”

Then, everything changed.

On Sept. 11, The White House released the $391 million aid package to Ukraine, news of which spread worldwide the next day.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1262 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:17 PM

I couldn't bear to put this in the Political Humor thread because it's just too true.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#1263 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:54 AM

Pretty much sums up the Republican position.

Posted Image

#1264 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2113 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:52 PM

I've lived in tinpot dictatorships

I've lived in Rajapaksa's Sri Lanka. I've lived in places where the government draws up kill lists of journalists. I've lived in Modi's India. I've lived in places where the government uses mob violence to silence minority voices. I've lived in Berdimuhammedow's Turkmenistan. I've lived in places where a narcissistic despot drops 2:1 scale statues of himself everywhere.

And yet, I have still until today never seen a Head of State live-tweeting intimidation to a witness speaking against him as she testified. Even the tinpot dictators like to leave the fig leaf, you know? I've never in all my travels seen a Head of State who is this full of self-doubt.

I don't know. There are a lot of awful dictators out there, but nearly all of them "earned it". I don't mean there's any justification for what they did; I mean that they had to claw their way up a ladder to get where they were. Rajapaksa was a political infighter for 40 years who finally defeated all his rivals. Modi started out selling tea on a train and worked his way up to the leader of Hindu nationalism by defeating everyone who stood in his way. Donald Trump was handed a TV show and parlayed that into the Presidency. I think that's the difference.

Anyways: my point is he's not even being a competent dictator. Dictators don't threaten witnesses directly. They have people for that.

Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#1265 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5109 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

I've lived in tinpot dictatorships

I've lived in Rajapaksa's Sri Lanka. I've lived in places where the government draws up kill lists of journalists. I've lived in Modi's India. I've lived in places where the government uses mob violence to silence minority voices. I've lived in Berdimuhammedow's Turkmenistan. I've lived in places where a narcissistic despot drops 2:1 scale statues of himself everywhere.

And yet, I have still until today never seen a Head of State live-tweeting intimidation to a witness speaking against him

as she testified

. Even the tinpot dictators like to leave the fig leaf, you know? I've never in all my travels seen a Head of State who is

this

full of self-doubt.

I don't know. There are a lot of awful dictators out there, but nearly all of them "earned it". I don't mean there's any justification for what they did; I mean that they had to claw their way up a ladder to get where they were. Rajapaksa was a political infighter for 40 years who finally defeated all his rivals. Modi started out selling tea on a train and worked his way up to the leader of Hindu nationalism by defeating everyone who stood in his way. Donald Trump was handed a TV show and parlayed that into the Presidency. I think that's the difference.

Anyways: my point is he's

not even being a competent dictator

. Dictators don't threaten witnesses directly. They have people for that.

We can't impeach him because he's not smart enough to commit high crimes and misdemeanors properly!
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1266 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9370 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

Aren't the jails filled with people who weren't very competent at their crimes?

#1267 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9370 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:38 PM

It was very nice to see the ovation that Ambassador Yovanovitch received at the end of her testimony.

#1268 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5109 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:09 PM

View Postindy, on 15 November 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

Aren't the jails filled with people who weren't very competent at their crimes?
...or wealthy enough to afford a lawyer competent at defending them.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#1269 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9370 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

Federal prosecutors in New York who are investigating Rudy Giuliani are seeking to interview people with knowledge of Ukraine's state-run oil-and-gas company, Naftogaz, according to two people familiar with the matter, suggesting investigators have opened a line of inquiry into whether Giuliani and his associates sought to secure energy deals by asserting influence on the company.

https://www.cnn.com/...uman/index.html

So while Rudy was busy running around the Ukraine trying to get somebody to say that Biden was exerting influence for the personal gain of his son, Rudy was also exerting influence for his own personal gain. It's always projection with these guys, isn't it?

#1270 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:31 PM

Ukrainian President Zelensky was going to appear on Fareed Zakaria GPS on Sep. 13 to announce the Biden investigations he was blackmailed into. He cancelled as shortly after the news broke on Sep. 11 that the whistleblower report had made it to Congress and the Trump administration released the aid in self defense.

As he does with many world leaders, Zakaria and his staff reached out to Ukrainian president Vlodomyr Zelensky after his historic win for an interview. As they negotiated the particulars--where, when, in English or with translators, et al., Zelensky and his staffers had their own agenda: they were planning to use this interview to announce the investigations that Trump had demanded (read: extorted) in order for Ukraine to get the funding Congress had mandated.

But then the media got wind of the whistleblower report and the Democratic majority announced an investigation into the withholding of funds and voila! the funds were suddenly released. The need to be on GPS was no longer a necessary mechanism and the interview was scuttled.

Zakaria said Thursday that it was his belief that the White House did not specifically request that Zelensky appear on "Fareed Zakaria GPS" but simply that it should be a televised interview.

He added that he had no idea that Zelensky had planned to announce Ukraine's investigation into former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter. Asked for his reaction when he found out that Zelensky's announcement would have been on his show, Zakaria replied, "You win some, you lose some. I would have loved to have it. He's a fascinating guy. I still would love to have an interview with him one of these days."

While semi-interesting as a footnote in history, it is also notable in how it lays to waste the Republican talking point that Zelensky was unaware of the withholding of funds and that he didn't have to do anything to get the funds released.

Zelensky was very much aware and very much willing to do whatever it took. Per The New York Times, the Zelensky administration made the calculus "that American military aid and diplomatic support during upcoming peace talks were worth the risk of seeming to support Trump in the American political process."

#1271 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

Here's a new line of Republican defense; this whole thing should never have been made public, should never have gone to impeachment, and would have been best handled "behind the scenes" by Senators. You know, because Congressional Republicans are so concerned with lawfulness. Bold notations are mine.

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) complained on Sunday that the whistleblower’s complaint about President Donald Trump’s call with Ukraine “has exposed things that didn’t need to be exposed.”

During an interview on NBC News’ “Meet the Press,” Johnson lamented “the damage that is being done to our country [1] through this entire impeachment process” against Trump over his scheme to withhold military aid to Ukraine to pressure Ukraine into investigating 2020 rival Joe Biden.
[1] No Republican is allowed to talk about "damage to the county" unless they are pointing a finger directly at their own party.

“And by the way, those individuals that leaked this, you know, if their interest was a stronger relationship with Ukraine, they didn’t accomplish it,” said Johnson. “Having this all come out into public has weakened that relationship, has exposed things that didn’t need to be exposed.” [2]
[2] Extortion didn't weaken our relationship with Ukraine, exposing it and stopping it in its tracks did. Ooookay.

Johnson, who visited Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky with Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) in early September to discuss the delayed military aid, argued that he and other senators could’ve handled the situation on their own [3], and in any case, Ukraine ended up receiving the aid. [4]
[3] Name something else you handled properly "on your own."
[4] Now a bog standard Republican talking point that ignores the fact that aid was released because of Trump's extortion was made public.

“So, this would have been far better off if we would have just taken care of this behind the scenes,” the Republican senator said. “We have two branches of government.” [5]
[5] We've watched the Trumpsucking performed by Republicans in the Legislative Branch for years now. You willingly allowed Trump to co-opt your branch long ago.

#1272 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:01 PM

Trump lying yet again about one of the patriots who is willing to tell the truth. It's now a predictable habit.

President Donald Trump bashed Jennifer Williams, Vice President Mike Pence’s national security adviser and a witness in the impeachment investigation, on Sunday by claiming without evidence that she was a “Never Trumper”

“Tell Jennifer Williams, whoever that is, to read BOTH transcripts of the presidential calls, & see the just released ststement [sic] from Ukraine,” Trump tweeted. “Then she should meet with the other Never Trumpers, who I don’t know & mostly never even heard of, & work out a better presidential attack!”

Trump’s tweet was a response to Williams’ closed-door testimony, the transcript of which was released by the House Intelligence Committee on Saturday.

The transcript shows that Williams, who was on the infamous call between Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in July, told impeachment investigators she heard Zelensky mention Burisma, a Ukrainian gas company with ties to Joe Biden’s son Hunter, during the call.

Williams’ account contradicts the White House’s released memo on the call, which does not record Zelensky bringing up Burisma. During the call, Trump had asked Zelensky to do him a “favor” and open an investigation into Biden as they were discussing U.S. military aid to Ukraine.

Williams also described the call as “unusual and inappropriate.”

Trump has baselessly accused other witnesses in the impeachment investigation, such as Bill Taylor and Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, of being “Never Trumpers” in an effort to discredit their testimonies on his scheme.

#1273 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

It's still Sondland's turn in the barrel. It will be interesting to see how he desperately tries to avoid the House Dems' "perjury trap" (to quote Trump). You know, the trap that can only be avoided by (GASP!) telling the truth. How unfair of the Dems. Despicable.

Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland, slated to publicly testify in the impeachment inquiry on Wednesday, kept acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and Energy Secretary Rick Perry apprised of the Ukraine pressure campaign, according to emails obtained by the Wall Street Journal.

In one exchange, he assured the two that Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky was willing to talk about sham investigations into the Bidens and the 2016 election, just before a scheduled call with President Donald Trump.

“I talked to Zelensky just now. He is prepared to receive Potus’ call,” Sondland wrote. “Will assure him that he intends to run a fully transparent investigation and will ‘turn over every stone.'”

The emails come on the heels of an episode first revealed by top Ukraine diplomat Bill Taylor, who told the House Intel Committee that his aide overheard Trump urging Sondland to focus on the investigations. Taken together, new evidence paints a picture of Trump administration officials lashed ever closer to coercion — or as Democrats call it, bribery — of a foreign government for a domestic political advantage.

Sondland’s upcoming hearing is one of the most highly anticipated testimonies of the inquiry so far. Mulvaney and Perry have both resisted House subpoenas, with Mulvaney in particular asking a judge to decide whether or not he has to comply.

#1274 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

Trump is pissed off at Pompeo for not effectively forcing his people to obstruct justice.

The impeachment inquiry has tested the seemingly unbreakable bond between President Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

According to an NBC News report Monday, citing four current and former senior administration officials, Trump has griped over Pompeo’s hiring of State Department officials who have provided damning testimony for Trump. Those familiar with the matter told NBC News that during a White House lunch on Oct. 29, Trump confronted his secretary of state regarding the officials and what he views as a dull attempt to block their testimony.

A senior administration official told NBC News that Trump “just felt like, ‘rein your people in.'”

Current and former senior administration officials told NBC News that Trump specifically takes issue with Pompeo’s appointment of top Ukraine diplomat Bill Taylor in June. Last week, Taylor publicly testified that the President asked EU Ambassador Gordon Sondland about the “investigations” into digging up false allegations into the Bidens.

An official familiar with the tensions between Trump and Pompeo said that the secretary of state “feels like he’s getting a bunch of blame from the President and the White House for having hired all these people who are turning against Trump,” before adding that Trump feels “it’s the State Department that is going to bring him down, so it’s all Pompeo’s fault.”

#1275 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:37 PM

The Hill, apparently FINALLY embarrassed (or scared) of their allowing John Solomon's lies and propaganda to be published under their banner, has announced some actions though the final outcome is yet to be seen.

The Hill Editor-In-Chief Bob Cusack sent out a memo to the staff Monday, alerting them that old opinion columns written by former editorialist John Solomon and referenced frequently in the impeachment inquiry may be annotated, corrected or fact-checked.

The statement, via a CNN reporter:

Oliver Darcy
@oliverdarcy
The Hill Editor-In-Chief Bob Cusack just sent this email out to staff announcing that the outlet is reviewing, updating, annotating, and when appropriate correcting columns by John Solomon.

Posted Image

Solomon worked in concert with Rudy Giuliani associate Lev Parnas and published pieces that touched off a smear campaign at the heart of the impeachment inquiry.

He published one article including claims from Yuriy Lutsenko, then Ukraine’s top prosecutor, that a U.S. diplomat presented him with a list of people not to prosecute. Lutsenko also said that he was reviving an investigation into Burisma Holdings to see if former Vice President Joe Biden interfered on behalf of his son, who sat on its board.

Solomon has acknowledged that Parnas connected him to Lutsenko.

The Ukraine prosecutor later walked back the entire story, saying that he asked the State Department for the names. U.S. officials there say that there was no such list and that the entire story is a fabrication. Lutsenko has also admitted that he saw no evidence of wrongdoing from the Bidens.

The Hill is trying to do some damage control after being dragged into multiple witness testimonies thus far.

#1276 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:41 PM

Trump's statements in the Mueller investigation is rearing its ugly head again.

A lawyer for the House of Representatives told an appeals court Monday that among the issues the House is probing in its ongoing impeachment inquiry is whether President Trump lied to special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.

The comments came in a hearing over whether the Judiciary Committee can access certain grand jury materials from Mueller’s probe. A district court judge already okayed their release, but now the the Justice Department is asking the appeals court to put that judge’s ruling on pause while it considers the case on the merits.

Much of Tuesday’s hour-and-a-half-long hearing focused on whether the House had met its standard of showing a particularized need for the sought materials.

House General Counsel Doug Letter said that the materials could answer the question: “Was the President not truthful in his responses to the special counsel.”

Letter was asked by Judge Thomas Griffith what the Mueller grand jury materials have to do with the Ukraine-focused impeachment proceedings currently happening on Capitol Hill.

“Don’t believe everything you read,” Letter said, referring to media reports that describe those impeachment proceedings as being separate from the Mueller-related inquiry.

Letter said that the House impeachment probe is “in part” about Ukraine, but that it is also looking at whether Trump obstructed the Mueller investigation and the question of, “What did he know about Wikileaks.”

This involves Manafort, Stone, and what Trump stated to Mueller in writing about what he did or didn't know.

#1277 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9370 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:57 PM

View PostLFC, on 18 November 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

Trump is pissed off at Pompeo for not effectively forcing his people to obstruct justice.

Pence must be a lot smarter than his perpetual blank expression indicates, or he must be some kind of nut whisperer, to have avoided (to this point) the mercurial ways of Trump. All this time, I've looked forward to the boom being lowered on him and, alas, nothing but disappointment.

#1278 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5109 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

View Postindy, on 18 November 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

Pence must be a lot smarter than his perpetual blank expression indicates, or he must be some kind of nut whisperer, to have avoided (to this point) the mercurial ways of Trump. All this time, I've looked forward to the boom being lowered on him and, alas, nothing but disappointment.

Maybe he's the Claudius of the present-day US, who by acting stupid for a number of years survived long enough to eventually become Emperor.

#1279 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31056 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:56 PM

More on Sondland and his deep, deep involvement in the extortion of the Ukrainian government. He can't be looking forward to testifying but maybe he's just decided that it's better than hoping for a pardon and leaving his fate in the hands of Trump.

Ukrainian officials arrived at the White House on July 10 expecting something approaching normal. They were in Washington for a scheduled meeting with then-National Security Adviser John Bolton with a plan to propose a new path for U.S.-Ukrainian relations under the umbrella of energy and security cooperation. All seemed to go well—until U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland stepped in. “That’s when things really went off the rails,” one person in the room said.

It’s been widely noted in testimonies by multiple House impeachment witnesses that Sondland interrupted the conversation between Bolton and the Ukrainians when he suggested that the Kyiv officials open investigations into Hunter Biden and the gas company he worked for if they wanted President Volodymyr Zelensky to land a White House meeting with Donald Trump.

Bolton immediately cut the get-together short, witnesses said, in an attempt to save what had until then been a normal meeting. But what’s been less clear—until now—is what happened moments later, when Sondland guided the Ukrainians into the White House’s Ward Room. Three individuals familiar with the conversation described what happened next.

Sondland continued to not just relay, but demanded ferociously, that the Ukrainians open the Biden investigations, saying it was the only chance for Washington and Kyiv to develop any further meaningful relationship, two individuals with knowledge of Sondland’s overtures said.

Sondland raised his voice several times in his attempt to persuade the Ukrainian officials sitting across from him, including Andriy Yermak, a close aide to Zelensky, and Zelensky’s then-national security adviser Oleksandr Danylyuk. One individual told The Daily Beast that Sondland “got very emotional,” adding that “there was lots of yelling.” Another individual called the meeting “erratic” and said the Ukrainians began to ignore Sondland and instead turned to Fiona Hill, who ran the National Security Council’s Russia desk at the time, for clarification on Washington’s messaging.

Sondland has previously tried to claim he didn’t know much about a quid pro quo with Ukraine—until he suddenly told Congress he now recalls the deal. But the details of Sondland’s behavior in the Ward Room underscore the intensity in which the EU Ambassador advocated for the investigations into Biden and Burisma.

The details also raise questions about how Sondland will perform in his public testimony in front of House impeachment investigators Wednesday. He is slated to appear this week along with a slew of other top U.S. officials, several of them from the State Department, to answer questions about what he knew of the efforts to oust U.S. Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch and Rudy Giuliani’s campaign to convince Ukraine to launch certain investigations.

#1280 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13365 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:56 PM

View PostLFC, on 18 November 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Trump's statements in the Mueller investigation is rearing its ugly head again.

This involves Manafort, Stone, and what Trump stated to Mueller in writing about what he did or didn't know.

Ahh...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users