#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24426 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:02 PM

This goes way too far IMHO.

A group of protesters reportedly affiliated with the anti-fascist group Smash Racism D.C. surrounded the home of Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Wednesday night and shouted threatening messages, according to The Washington Post, which reviewed since-deleted videos and social media posts of the incident.

In one deleted video, the group was heard chanting, “Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!” In another video, a woman is heard saying she wanted to “bring a pipe bomb” to the house, according to the Post.

After one of the protesters slammed into the front door of Carlson’s home — causing it to crack — Carlson’s wife Susan Carlson locked herself in the kitchen pantry and called police, the Fox News personality told the Post. Carlson’s wife was home by herself at the time, as Carlson prepped for his 8 p.m. show. Police told the Post that about 20 people surrounded the home.

“It wasn’t a protest. It was a threat,” Carlson, who is often criticized for his inflammatory rhetoric, especially about immigrants and minorities, told the Post. “They weren’t protesting anything specific that I had said. They weren’t asking me to change anything. They weren’t protesting a policy or advocating for legislation. … They were threatening me and my family and telling me to leave my own neighborhood in the city that I grew up in.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24426 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:04 PM

Apparently Carlson, being Carlson, "embellished" what actually happened. This is from a reporter who was there. Oh, yeah. And what he actually said to police and was put in the police report isn't nearly so dramatic either. It's "almost" like Carlson lied about it on TV for ratings.

The incident, video of which was taken offline shortly after being posted, has prompted an aisle-crossing outcry – fueled in part by Carlson’s own significant embellishments of what occurred while he wasn’t home. I was there for the entirety of the 10-minute demonstration, and can report in detail what actually happened.

A group numbering 13 or 14 protesters trailed by four protest observers, some in the bright green hats often worn by trained First Amendment legal observers when monitoring police-protester interactions, walked up Carlson’s street just after dark on Wednesday.

One of the protesters knocked firmly on Carlson’s front door three times then trotted back down the steps to join the rest of the group in the street. This person did not throw their body against the door, as Carlson has claimed to newspapers. A police report on the incident makes no mention of damage to the Carlsons’ front door from the three stiff knocks, contradicting Carlson’s claim that the demonstrators had cracked the door.

Another protester read a brief statement through an amplifying device, then led the group in a series of chants against Carlson’s habitual promotion of white supremacist ideology and xenophobia on his Fox News program. Some of the chants included the refrain “we know where you sleep at night.” At multiple points, a chant broke down despite the rhythm-track efforts of a protester with a tambourine.

Video posted on LiveLeak shows portions of the event, which lasted less than 10 minutes. It also illustrates Carlson’s other embellishment — that one person was caught on a security video saying they wanted to return to his home with a pipe bomb. In fact, the person filming is heard saying “Pipe bombs! Synagogue victims!” as the speaker with the amplifying device wraps up their initial statement and begins to lead chants. Carlson’s show and broader media empire have long amplified the same flavors of xenophobic paranoia and white supremacist ideology believed to have motivated alleged so-called “MAGAbomber” Cesar Sayoc and Pittsburgh synagogue shooter Robert Bowers. There is no mention of the phrase “pipe bombs” in the police report later filed.

You can watch that clip — which captured the tambourine in action too — here:

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users