3 replies to this topic

#1 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5525 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:32 PM

This long New Yorker article explores the impact of software on the day to day lives of doctors. I thought it was just me that has come to believe that doctors pay more attention to their screens than to me. It seems like doctors might feel the same. All the information obtained and stored is not as useful as one might think (except maybe for malpractice discovery purposes).

#2 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1725 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:48 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 07 November 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

This long New Yorker article explores the impact of software on the day to day lives of doctors. I thought it was just me that has come to believe that doctors pay more attention to their screens than to me. It seems like doctors might feel the same. All the information obtained and stored is not as useful as one might think (except maybe for malpractice discovery purposes).
Haven’t read the article yet, but it doesn’t surprise me. My eye doc in particular (granted, he’s gotta be about eighty) grouses profusely about his iPad every time I go in there.
However, a friend of mine (granted, late 50s) in a different specialty seems to have embraced the technology.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27423 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:09 PM

I got part way through and hit the section about the patient benefits, something we've seen first hand for my wife who suffers from a chronic illness. I couldn't agree more. Yes, they need to get better at not eating doctors' time (better UX, assistants to do data entry, voice input, etc.) but having experienced the joy of watching my wife continue to suffer as multiple doctors floundered around or wanted yet another f***ing chest X-ray because they couldn't access the paper records or incompatible systems of other doctors all I can say is "suck it up, buttercup." Much like Obamacare we're far from perfect but way ahead of where we were.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

I do think that age of the doc is a factor. My favorite neurologist (older/very experienced) basically retired in protest. I also think it matters with hierarchy- what is the specialty?

My primary care doc- she's got the computer through the whole thing. At certain points, she's sending necessary prescription renewals to my pharmacy. At all points, she's listening. But we make little eye contact.

My surgeons- latest and greatest, lol- completely different. Shoulder doc has an assistant who does all the transcription, while he looks directly at his patient. He gets to spend more "quality" time with his patients- evaluate their body movement etc. Pretty stunning, as I've seen the result. By the time I leave the exam room, it's all on his computer. He is able to check it with his staff, make sure follow-up is clear before I leave. Hip doc- even weirder. He has a transcriptionist from the Philippines, on a screen. But the same thing happens, at the end. Very efficient, cost-effective. I do keep in mind that these docs make a whole lot more money than a primary doc group- much harder for PC to afford.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users