8 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12070 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:15 AM

https://motherboard....anged-the-world
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24426 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

Sounds like two somebodies still got some serious splainin' to do.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8604 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

If superconductivity could be harnessed at room temperature, it would allow for the free transport of energy, wildly faster computers, and incredibly precise sensors. Indeed, it would fundamentally change the world.

Mmmmm ... not quite. There are two obstacles to long-range power distribution with superconductors, and temperature is only one of them -- arguably the lesser.

The other is that superconduction is incompatible with magnetic fields. For weak fields, the superconductor excludes the field; that's how you get the liquid-nitrogen cooled [1] object floating above a magnet. Stronger fields, like in medical instruments, the LHC, and power systems kills the superconductivity. The consequences can be can be pretty spectacular. Every superconductor has what's called its "critical field" where the superconductor "goes normal." So if these folk have demonstrated superconductivity on the small scale at temperatures above 273 K, they still have to demonstrate it at high current densities.

[2] Superconductivity at LN2 temperatures is pretty recent itself.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#4 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4340 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:03 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 14 September 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

Mmmmm ... not quite. There are two obstacles to long-range power distribution with superconductors, and temperature is only one of them -- arguably the lesser.

The other is that superconduction is incompatible with magnetic fields. For weak fields, the superconductor excludes the field; that's how you get the liquid-nitrogen cooled [1] object floating above a magnet. Stronger fields, like in medical instruments, the LHC, and power systems kills the superconductivity. The consequences can be can be pretty spectacular. Every superconductor has what's called its "critical field" where the superconductor "goes normal." So if these folk have demonstrated superconductivity on the small scale at temperatures above 273 K, they still have to demonstrate it at high current densities.

The transition temperature which is normally reported is the one at zero magnetic field. The more one lowers the temperature from there, the higher magnetic field the material can support and remain superconductive. But a zero field transition temperature of 273K would mean you can support a very large magnetic field at 77K (liquid nitrogen temperature) and remain superconductive. So not all bad.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5 George Powell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 05:00 AM

I wonder if there is an upper limit to magnetic field intensity set by space itself or dark matter. Similarly might gravity have an upper limit.

#6 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8604 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:28 AM

View PostGeorge Powell, on 18 October 2018 - 05:00 AM, said:

I wonder if there is an upper limit to magnetic field intensity set by space itself or dark matter. Similarly might gravity have an upper limit.

It's ... high. Very, very, very high. 1 Tesla is a pretty strong field: it's more than the saturation field for most ferromagnetic materials.

A neutron star's magnetic field is high enough that you're better off using exponential notation for it rather than writing zeros.

A lithium atom, thanks to the orbital moment of the single electron in the P shell, has a field near the nucleus of (IIRC) something like 10^18 Tesla. So there's lots of room to improve technology before the Universe gets upset.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#7 George Powell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 18 October 2018 - 07:28 AM, said:

It's ... high. Very, very, very high. 1 Tesla is a pretty strong field: it's more than the saturation field for most ferromagnetic materials.

A neutron star's magnetic field is high enough that you're better off using exponential notation for it rather than writing zeros.

A lithium atom, thanks to the orbital moment of the single electron in the P shell, has a field near the nucleus of (IIRC) something like 10^18 Tesla. So there's lots of room to improve technology before the Universe gets upset.
If the upper limit is very, very, very high then that would/could make all observations very, very linear. I am not thinking of improving technology so much as getting a general theory. Switching to gravity as a basic force we assume that a huge mass added to another huge mass will be m1 + m2, but it might be very slightly less, depending on what causes gravity.

I believe gravity could be extra-terrestrial, a minor effect of dark matter. Why should gravity suck, why cannot we be pushed down from above. If we have two bodies close to each other and dark matter interacting at a phenomenally low rate, but with incredibly huge numbers of 'gravitons', then it will leave a graviton vacuum in between. The two masses will be PUSHED together by a seemingly weak force. I looked at this once before and concluded that the force between the two would be to the square of the interactions, making a weak force a very very weak force.

Meanwhile far apart bodies would be pushed apart by the same dark matter. If we conclude that there is limited dark matter then it is also reasonable to assume that it would thin out at the edges of the universe and gravity might even become less, not universally the same.

#8 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8604 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

I don't think that squares very well with the fact that gravity is a function of density in a Newtonian sense. Also, obviously, not really easy to square with that (quite a few by now) experimental tests of General Relativity and the Equivalence Principle.

In any case, electromagnetism is rather useful from galactic to subnuclear particles so the "limits of magnetic field strength" thing is going to be quite a ways from anything we're likely to run into in the lifetimes of those now living.

#9 George Powell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:30 AM

If gravity or magnetism is ever show to have an upper limit then things could get interesting. In the mean time I will continue to believe that gravity is extra-terrestrial and that we are pushed down from above. It is one of my foibles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users