23 replies to this topic

#21 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7596 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:55 AM

...and I sometimes wonder- those who stay: How many of those decisions are based on sheer arrogance/ignorance, and how many are made with economics in mind.

Here, with respect to fires, whether to go or not is based on experience. About a month ago, we were under a mandatory evacuation, but did not go because the wind was not coming our way. But we were ready, and our exit route is easy. In 2 other fires, we did go based on visual 'it's coming our way, and fast'.

Evacuations from hurricanes requires greater distances, and longer durations, so economics would enter into it. Fires, you drive to friends across town and wait a day or two, and the danger usually subsides.

I think authorities often set evacuation zones further than they need to in an abundance of caution. And for many people who lack common sense with respect to their surroundings, that is necessary. But so many people who have successfully lived through a few of these calamities are slower to heed warnings of impending doom, because 'last time' it did not live up to the warnings.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#22 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:58 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 14 September 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

I would have absolutely evacuated, for as long as it took. But then, we can carry our jobs with us, can afford lodging etc. Not a huge disruption for us.

Not everybody is in that position, and I sometimes wonder- those who stay: How many of those decisions are based on sheer arrogance/ignorance, and how many are made with economics in mind.

I saw a brief interview with a couple that broke down during their overly late evacuation. They ended up OK but the reason they gave for thinking they might ride it out was financial. It's scary to think how many people might be risking their lives simply because evacuation and later return to a fully intact home might crush them financially.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#23 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4857 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:56 PM

I think the financial reason is a pretty powerful one, especially when coupled with the idea that the authorities and media exaggerate the danger. But the financial part isn't really an "I can't afford to miss work" idea or even a "I can't afford a hotel room" one. The financial reason is an "I can't afford to replace my house/contents" reason. Somehow that coupled with the idea that it won't be so bad leads one to think "I will stay here and protect my stuff from damage or looting."

#24 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8287 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:35 PM

There are drawbacks to living in a small town in the Rio Grande valley. Evacuation isn't one of them. I'm on relatively high ground, the property is higher than those around us, and the runoff routes go well beyond that. Worse comes to worst, a five-minute walk takes us up another six or ten meters and if a flood reaches that high better start looking for an ark while asking for directions to Ararat.

Fire? the same five minutes' walk gets us to open desert.

Now, that's not bragging -- everyone should be able to recite similarly what their escape options are from memory, because that means you've actually thought about it. Brother #2 had to start scratching on paper to figure out how he'd leave his (former) Space Coast waterfront home in case of a hurricane.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users