462 replies to this topic

#461 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13331 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:08 PM

I find myself surprised to say that I think the demonstrators are wearing out their welcome. That guy out of a group of 10 or so that attacked the lone policeman with an iron bar and got shot for his efforts suggests some overkill. This wont end well if that keeps up. Of course, the mainlanders and their triad thugs brought that on themselves. But this mayhem has gone too far IMO. Time to throttle down to good old passive resistance. No need for inflammatory moves anymore. But Lam issueing that decree is just going to inflame them more. Not good.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#462 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13604 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:46 PM

View PostTraveler, on 04 October 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

I find myself surprised to say that I think the demonstrators are wearing out their welcome. That guy out of a group of 10 or so that attacked the lone policeman with an iron bar and got shot for his efforts suggests some overkill. This wont end well if that keeps up. Of course, the mainlanders and their triad thugs brought that on themselves. But this mayhem has gone too far IMO. Time to throttle down to good old passive resistance. No need for inflammatory moves anymore. But Lam issueing that decree is just going to inflame them more. Not good.

Outside agitator? Not suggesting the likelihood of it, just that you cannot always take things at face value, especially with anything out of China.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#463 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10170 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

Here's Boing Boing, with cites to Lawfare:

A new post on the site describes the consequences of a sharp downturn in the Chinese economy: a new mood among many Chinese businesspeople that they are at the end of the long Chinese boom and that there's no reason not to burn their bridges with non-Chinese firms, because they're not going to be doing business with them for much longer no matter what.

The site's author, Dan Harris, compares the mood in China today with the situation in Russia in the 1990s, when outside businesses would get repeatedly ripped off by their Russian partners, and would go away mystified that these partners would take the short term payouts of burning a foreign partner, at the expense of the much larger upside they could realize from an ongoing arrangement. For these Russian entrepreneur/bandits, Harris says, "They do not believe they will be able to operate freely five years or even one year from now. So though you see them as having irrationally sacrificed massive long term gains for much smaller short term rewards, they see themselves as having quite rationally grabbed what they could while it was still there."

Elsewhere, the excerpt comments on importers who order Chinese-made branded products only to find that the full orders that arrive are junk and that their contract manufacturers have locked up the importers' trademarks so that they can't even change sources. (Which, from a very small personal sample, I can believe.)

If -- big IF -- this is actually what's going on, if it's about to become unhealthy to do business in (or with) China for outsiders, then I can see the next recession triggering and being amplified by a bunch of other shocks, with a mass exodus from China perhaps topping the list.

I'm very interested to see what the more seasoned China hands have to say.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users