2 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24496 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

Here's an interesting take on public education. Perhaps this is actually correct on the law. It's simply awful for our nation.

A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit focused on the poor reading skills of students at several Detroit schools, including because he concluded there is no right to literacy.

Judge Stephen Murphy III agreed in his 40-page ruling that "when a child who could be taught to read goes untaught, the child suffers a lasting injury - and so does society." But he added it still doesn't follow that literacy is a right.

Murphy's written ruling was posted late Friday in U.S. District Court for eastern Michigan.

The lawsuit filed in 2016 argued the schools are in "slum-like conditions" and "functionally incapable of delivering access to literacy."

It accused Gov. Rick Snyder, the state school board and others of violating the civil rights of low-income students.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8616 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

It's probably true in the sense that there is nothing in the Constitution specifying a right to literacy.
I'm not nearly so sure that the 14th wouldn't mandate that poor children have as much right to a State-sponsored education as wealthy ones, though.
And in most States that I know of [1], the State constitution is pretty emphatic about equal systems of education.

[1] Outside of the Confederacy, old or new.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#3 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 02 July 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

It's probably true in the sense that there is nothing in the Constitution specifying a right to literacy.
By the same token, there is nothing in the Constitution specifying a right to food or breathable air either. Somehow the Constitutional delegates didn't think they needed to make EVERY possible aspect of human life spelled out in parchment. "The right of the People to defecate in their homes shall not be abridged"
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users