3 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:57 PM

https://bigthink.com...cientists-claim

Time of death is considered when a person has gone into cardiac arrest. This is the cessation of the electrical impulse that drive the heartbeat. As a result, the heart locks up. The moment the heart stops is considered time of death. But does death overtake our mind immediately afterward or does it slowly creep in?

Some scientists have studied near death experiences (NDEs) to try to gain insights into how death overcomes the brain. What they’ve found is remarkable, a surge of electricity enters the brain moments before brain death. One 2013 study out of the University of Michigan, which examined electrical signals inside the heads of rats, found they entered a hyper-alert state just before death.

Scientists are beginning to think an NDE is caused by reduced blood flow, coupled with abnormal electrical behavior inside the brain. So the stereotypical tunnel of white light might derive from a surge in neural activity. Dr. Sam Parnia is the director of critical care and resuscitation research, at NYU Langone School of Medicine, in New York City. He and colleagues are investigating exactly how the brain dies.

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2 DCoronata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:44 AM

The brain relies on sensory input to function properly, deprived of inputs, it starts to invent its own simulation. This is nothing more than a brain crying out for some information and then trying to fill in the gaps to explain what's going on. Doesn't mean they're aware of death, they're just trying to make sense of things.
Ambassador Spock: "There's an old Vulcan proverb, that only Nixon could go to China, and only Trump could screw up North Korea."

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
“Do you believe we can trust you rabble with a Republic?"

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:07 AM

DCoronata, on 28 June 2018 - 05:44 AM, said:

The brain relies on sensory input to function properly, deprived of inputs, it starts to invent its own simulation. This is nothing more than a brain crying out for some information and then trying to fill in the gaps to explain what's going on. Doesn't mean they're aware of death, they're just trying to make sense of things.

Sounds like me every time I examine the political state of America.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8338 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:16 PM

View PostDCoronata, on 28 June 2018 - 05:44 AM, said:

I know we've migrated, but I have seen this phenomenon in real time. Even within death, the brain fires. Truly, it can go back to concerns for the people you love. TRUTH- I have seen the fight to live and the title fight against what came next. Shit- it happens and although I would love to deny it, I had Mr's face in my hands. Honestly, I tried to explain it to him that I would be ok- always his main concern. I don't give a damn about what the ME and the Police said- I got his last breath, and last word. A little piece of energy released, and then it's gone. So it goes.

The brain is the most interesting piece of the human body. We still know only a tiny piece of it. Peace to you, and if the site goes dark, please come to the new one. Even though I've argued against you, you have great thoughts.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users