#21 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:07 PM

The Post on Kennedy's announcement:

https://www.washingt...fa4f_story.html

Here is to the Bernouts that held to their "principles" and refused to vote for "the lessor of two evils." You have handed yet another victory to Putin's efforts to destroy our democracy. Congratulations, comrades.
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#22 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1658 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:10 PM

View PostAnBr, on 27 June 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

Here is to the Bernouts that held to their "principles" and refused to vote for "the lessor of two evils." You have handed yet another victory to Putin's efforts to destroy our democracy. Congratulations, comrades.
Of course this was EXACTLY the reason so many POGers and business Republicans held their nose and voted for Dumpster.

If there was EVER a reason for the Dems to get their sh*t together and mobilize a Senate flip in 2018, this was it.

The 2019 version: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of Trump, and to the oligarchy for which it stands, one nation under delusions, easily divisible, with liberty and justice for the highest bidder."
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#23 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1608 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

Not to mention all the theocratic states that all appear.

#24 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

Posted Image

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#25 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

View Postpnwguy, on 27 June 2018 - 04:10 PM, said:

If there was EVER a reason for the Dems to get their sh*t together and mobilize a Senate flip in 2018, this was it.

Not happening. Purity is more important.

#26 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:11 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#27 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

View PostAnBr, on 27 June 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

To use two quotes hurled around under the last administration, "you built this." "Thanks, Bernouts."
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#28 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

A sane case for actually looking at the next SCOTUS nominee. Of course it won't happen. As long as they're a hard right-wing partisan the Republicans will vote for them. Just as they support Trump because he's a hand with a pen (and willing to stuff his administration with the worst corporate raiders you can imagine) they are willing to approve of an incompetent who just gives them the "right" vote each and every time. There's nothing they'd like better than another Clarence Thomas.

In the last few weeks, we have seen the kind of America that Donald Trump has envisioned. It’s one where children are forcibly separated from their parents, judges and journalists are threatened for doing their jobs, and fundamental rights like due process are attacked.

In his words and actions, Trump has made it plain that he does not treat his oath to uphold the Constitution seriously, particularly the independence of the judiciary. He has ridiculed a federal judge for his Mexican heritage, tried to strong-arm the Ninth Circuit Court, and just weeks ago, criticized a judge’s decision to revoke Paul Manafort’s bail.

Trump treats his nominees as if they are taking a fraternity pledge to Alpha Phi Trump. When then-Judge Neil Gorsuch called Trump’s attacks on judges “disheartening” during his confirmation hearing, the president reportedly griped to aides that he might pull his nomination over fears that he would not be “loyal,” a complaint reminiscent of James Comey’s assertion that Trump sought a pledge of personal loyalty.

This has made it vitally important for members of the Senate to exercise their constitutional duty to be a check on the president. But that is now especially true with the retirement of Justice Anthony Kennedy from the Supreme Court.

Senators must vet any Supreme Court nominee put forth by this president to determine whether he or she, like Trump, does not adhere to our country’s ideals of justice, equality, and the rule of law. This means that we cannot have a rushed nomination process.

And yet, that appears to be precisely what we are getting.

“We will vote to confirm Justice Kennedy’s successor this fall,” Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said on Wednesday.

This statement reveals so much.

How can you make such a statement without knowing who the nominee is?

For McConnell, the nominee’s resume, his or her jurisprudence, appears to be of secondary concern. It is not about a thoughtful and careful deliberation regarding an individual’s record; it is about meeting arbitrary deadlines and timetables.

This is as short-sighted as it is craven. The retirement of Justice Kennedy is a flashing red light with a blaring alarm sound about the potential threat to civil liberties in America. It is critical that all senators, particularly Republican ones who have expressed concern about Trump’s actions in the past, give a sober and honest consideration of the president’s nominee. And if it is merited, they should step up, demand a deliberative process that seeks answers to hard questions, and not agree to vote until you get them.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#29 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1658 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

View PostLFC, on 28 June 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

There's nothing they'd like better than another Clarence Thomas.
Yes there is. A WHITE Clarence Thomas.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#30 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#31 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

This one vote may very well define them for all of history.

Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and Susan Collins (R-ME) are already feeling the pressure as both Republicans and Democrats lobby them hard to vote for or against President Donald Trump’s eventual pick to fill Justice Anthony Kennedy’s seat, according to a Thursday Politico report.

White House counsel Don McGahn reportedly called both lawmakers to feel out their thinking on the issue. Both were brought into a meeting of bipartisan senators Thursday evening with the President to discuss the vacancy. Murkowski was also sought out by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell Thursday for a private discussion.

“There’s pressure because of the gravity of such a nomination,” Murkowski told Politico. “I am not going to suggest that my opportunity as a senator in the advise and consent process is somehow or other short-cutted just because this is a Republican president and I’m a Republican.”

“This is what goes on in the Senate. Sometimes you’re in the pressure cooker,” she added.

“No matter how I vote there are going to be people who are furious at me,” Collins told Politico. She said that she won’t just blithely walk the party line because “it’s a Supreme Court nominee. It’s not the assistant deputy secretary for weights and measures at the Commerce Department. This is a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land. It matters.”

Both women reportedly want Trump to expand his pool of candidates beyond his current list, which is full of judges who would move the court sharply to the right.

#32 Craig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

A little bit of levity on this from The Onion:

How Will Justice Kennedy’s Retirement Affect The Supreme Court?

Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy announced Wednesday he will retire July 31 after more than 30 years on the Supreme Court, a decision with far-reaching ramifications for the judicial branch, as well as the U.S. political system as a whole. The Onion takes a look at the effects that Justice Kennedy’s retirement will have on the nation’s highest federal court.

New old white guy to sit up there

Could result in split 4-4 rulings for the foreseeable future as Senator Mitch McConnell will block any nominations until after the next election

Supreme Court will better reflect nation by not having any moderate conservatives

#33 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1608 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

Re: Susan Collins, we all know how she turns out: she folds. As problematic are Democrats, Donnelly, Heitcamp, and Manchin. Tester, bless his heart, voted against Gorsuch.

#34 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9427 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:29 PM

View PostLFC, on 28 June 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

There's nothing they'd like better than another Clarence Thomas.

On the contrary -- Thomas actually has principles. They're loathsome, but from time to time he is one of the few Republicans on the Court who actually votes against the Party's interests. I'd suggest that Alito and Gorsuch are closer to being pure hacks.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#35 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9427 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:30 PM

View PostAnBr, on 28 June 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

Those two inscriptions are lacking something important: they should both have "Only" inserted at their beginnings.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#36 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:40 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#37 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12967 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

Posted Image

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#38 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7813 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:35 AM

To those who wanted to 'burn it all down', you are getting your wish. We are almost there.

So, what is your plan for getting it back even better than before? Some spirited rallies? A two minute rant on MSNBC or CNN?

What Trump has been able to destroy in less than 2 years is more than you'll be able to fix in 20. And that assumes winning a lot of elections, which is not guaranteed.

What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#39 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1608 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:54 AM

Plan: some suggest winning the presidency and both houses and stacking the court together with reinstating all of the abandoned regulations. Might be a start.

#40 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9427 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:00 PM

View PostJackD, on 30 June 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

Plan: some suggest winning the presidency and both houses and stacking the court together with reinstating all of the abandoned regulations. Might be a start.

A Federal law comparable to the Voting Rights Act, banning gerrymandering and requiring States to provide their citizens with all required documentation necessary to vote; with temporary ID sufficient to get the job done for as long as the ID is pending etc.

Oh, and: specifying the standard of evidence required to prove discrimination.
— Nate Silver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users