5 replies to this topic

#1 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

Scientists who last year built a prototype harvester to extract water from the air using only the power of the sun have scaled up the device to see how much water they can capture in arid conditions in Arizona. Using a kilogram of MOF, they were able to capture about 7 ounces of water from low-humidity air each 24-hour day/night cycle. A new and cheaper MOF could double that.

Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

#2 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:58 PM

Soooo... George Lucas was only forty years ahead of his time?
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

The Fremen in Dune had this down pat. (Am I dating myself?)
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4 DCoronata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:50 AM

View PostLFC, on 12 June 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

The Fremen in Dune had this down pat. (Am I dating myself?)
Yeah, but they make terrible documentaries.
Ambassador Spock: "There's an old Vulcan proverb, that only Nixon could go to China, and only Trump could screw up North Korea."

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
“Do you believe we can trust you rabble with a Republic?"

#5 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8200 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:12 AM

Still, lovely properties. Will Arrakeen get a Trump Tower?
Posted Image
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#6 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 13 June 2018 - 06:12 AM, said:

Still, lovely properties. Will Arrakeen get a Trump Tower?

Yes. And Trump will illegally steal water for the golf course just like he does in New Jersey.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users