9 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

Police arrested hundreds despite having no evidence that they did anything illegal. Prosecutors then they hid evidence from the defense attorneys. This is no shock under this President and AG.

A man accused of conspiring to riot during President Donald Trump’s inauguration has been acquitted by a Washington, D.C., jury.

News outlets report 29-year-old Casey Webber, of the district, was found not guilty Monday on several charges. The jury continued to deliberate on charges against Webber’s three co-defendants Monday.

The Washington Post reports the trial in D.C. Superior Court is the second involving defendants charged in connection with protest on Jan. 20, 2017, that turned destructive. The first trial resulted in not-guilty verdicts for all six co-defendants.

Prosecutors have dropped charges against more than 150 other defendants, including some dismissed last week after a judge found the U.S. Attorney’s office failed to turn over video to their defense. Prosecutors say charges are pending against more than 40 defendants.

What I want to know is why the prosecutors who clearly violated the law by suppressing evidence still have a job and haven't been disbarred for their misconduct crime. (Yeah, I know the answer.)
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

More info from WaPo.

In all, 234 people were charged in connection with the Inauguration Day disturbance that stretched over 16 downtown Washington blocks and resulted in smashed windows and other property damage. Twenty-one people have pleaded guilty. Seven defendants, including Webber, have been found not guilty at trial.

In the trial in Knowles’s courtroom, prosecutors told jurors in their opening statements that the evidence against Webber was different from that against the other defendants: They said they would use social media messages to argue Webber took part in a conspiracy to plan and carry out the riots. They argued they had video and photographs that showed Cadman, Basillas and Felice breaking windows and destroying property.

Webber’s attorney, April Downs, said the messages showed only that Webber planned to attend a protest of the inauguration. The verdict, Downs said, was “only fair” and proved that her client had nothing to do with the riots. “There no evidence to support these charges against him,” Downs said

Mass incarceration as a means of intimidation. I think Godwin is appropriate here.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

View PostLFC, on 05 June 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

Mass incarceration as a means of intimidation. I think Godwin is appropriate here.
Well, it takes time to build concentration camps. You didn't expect them to be ready on Inauguration Day did you?

To channel Rumsfeld, "you go to war with the fascism you have, not the fascism you might want..."
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

#4 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4095 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

View Postpnwguy, on 05 June 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Well, it takes time to build concentration camps. You didn't expect them to be ready on Inauguration Day did you?

Couldn't they repurpose Obama's FEMA camps used for Jade Helm? Don't tell me those *weren't* actually a thing!
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#5 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11920 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

Those assholes vandalized stuff on tape. Sure the prosecutors were malfeasant, but that doesnt obviate the crime in the first place. Why do that idiotic crap?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#6 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7517 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:33 PM

Mass incarceration as a means of intimidation.

Like taking young children away from their parents at the border, and keeping them in what have been described as cages. Good way to keep others from coming here.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#7 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

Traveler, on 06 June 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

Those assholes vandalized stuff on tape. Sure the prosecutors were malfeasant, but that doesnt obviate the crime in the first place. Why do that idiotic crap?

Are you saying 243 people vandalized stuff on tape? That sure as hell doesn't sound like what actually happened. I have no problem going after the actual vandals. I have a huge problem rounding up and charging hundreds of protesters without evidence of a crime.

And any official who hides evidence should be fired and prosecuted regardless of the case. AFAIC that's no different than you trying to steal money or kidnap somebody. Fines and jail time levied over selectively released evidence is a crime. We just don't prosecute it like we should which is why it continues to happen too often.

#8 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8007 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:06 PM

LFC, on 05 June 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

What I want to know is why the prosecutors who clearly violated the law by suppressing evidence still have a job and haven't been disbarred for their misconduct crime. (Yeah, I know the answer.)

It's called "qualified immunity," to distinguish it from "absolute immunity," which is reserved for judges. In practice, there's no difference.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#9 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8007 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

Rue Bella, on 06 June 2018 - 11:33 PM, said:

Like taking young children away from their parents at the border, and keeping them in what have been described as cages. Good way to keep others from coming here.

Well, not everyone gets treated that way, if you know what I mean.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#10 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11920 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

View PostLFC, on 07 June 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

Are you saying 243 people vandalized stuff on tape? That sure as hell doesn't sound like what actually happened. I have no problem going after the actual vandals. I have a huge problem rounding up and charging hundreds of protesters without evidence of a crime.

And any official who hides evidence should be fired and prosecuted regardless of the case. AFAIC that's no different than you trying to steal money or kidnap somebody. Fines and jail time levied over selectively released evidence is a crime. We just don't prosecute it like we should which is why it continues to happen too often.
I was referring to those ON tape. Note I castigated the DAs for the rest. Sorry if I was a little terse.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users