7 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

David Koch is stepping down from his empire due to health issues. Maybe the weight of guilt for all the evil he's done is finally crushing his soul? Nah. He has no soul. I don't say this about many people but I'm hopeful he'll end up in the RIP - 2018 thread soon. VERY soon.

Billionaire conservative icon David Koch is stepping down from the Koch brothers’ network of business and political activities.

The 78-year-old New York resident is suffering from deteriorating health, according to a letter that older brother Charles Koch sent to company officials Tuesday morning.

Charles Koch wrote that he is “deeply saddened” by his brother’s retirement. “David has always been a fighter and is dealing with this challenge in the same way,” he wrote.

David Koch is leaving his roles as executive vice president and board member for Koch Industries and a subsidiary, Koch Chemical Technology group, where he served as chairman and chief executive officer. Koch is also stepping down as chairman of the board for the Americans For Prosperity Foundation, the charity related to Koch brothers’ primary political organization.

Charles Koch had assumed a more visible leadership role in the brothers’ affairs in recent years. He will continue to serve as the CEO of Koch Industries and the unofficial face of the network’s political efforts.

One down...
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4771 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

It doesn't matter if these two disappear. Their legacy lives on and we're the ones who have to deal with it.

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 05 June 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

It doesn't matter if these two disappear. Their legacy lives on and we're the ones who have to deal with it.

I view it as a classic case of "the first thing you do when you're in a hole is to stop digging." Getting rid of some of the worst financiers of the destruction of America's nearly 250 years of democracy is a good first step.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4 DCoronata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

I was reading about how terribly pissed they are about the Tariff King.

You got what you paid for.
Ambassador Spock: "There's an old Vulcan proverb, that only Nixon could go to China, and only Trump could screw up North Korea."

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
“Do you believe we can trust you rabble with a Republic?"

#5 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

View PostLFC, on 05 June 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

David Koch is stepping down from his empire due to health issues. Maybe the weight of guilt for all the evil he's done is finally crushing his soul? Nah. He has no soul. I don't say this about many people but I'm hopeful he'll end up in the RIP - 2018 thread soon. VERY soon.

One down...

A like "like".
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#6 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8200 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 05 June 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

It wouldn't shock me if they left a large (like more than 1/4) slice of their money to pushing their agenda.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#7 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12173 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:25 PM

Larger. When you have that much, how much do the kids need?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#8 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8200 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

View PostTraveler, on 06 June 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

Larger. When you have that much, how much do the kids need?

That would be a perfectly reasonable choice.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users