Should we invite others to the site?

58 replies to this topic

#41 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12153 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

I would rather objectionable posts be dealt with by other members. As LFC notes, how DSP was dealt with. Banning or other moderator actions should only ever be used as a last resort. I would say that anyone that has blocked another member may want to reconsider a moderator position as a moderator should have more tolerance. That does not mean that you have to like it, but let the community try address it first. It was the community that effectively dealt with the three closest to trolls we have had.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#42 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7919 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

View PostAnBr, on 31 May 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

I would rather objectionable posts be dealt with by other members. As LFC notes, how DSP was dealt with. Banning or other moderator actions should only ever be used as a last resort. I would say that anyone that has blocked another member may want to reconsider moderator position as a moderator should have more tolerance. That does not mean that you have to like it, but let the community try address it first. It was the community that effectively dealt with the three closest to trolls we have had.

So see- AnBr is a natural moderator. And his content reminds us all- most of us on this board are.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

#43 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3767 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

Thanks, folks. Very illuminating: that removes my only reservation.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#44 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7665 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:49 PM

I think there are several people here who would make good moderators - people who are here a lot, people who contribute lots of valuable material, keep the place running, etc. Perhaps we should open the nominations to more people, or invite individuals to step forward who might be interested in moderating. How many moderators would this place need? At the moment it is rather self-regulating.

Also, when might these new 'others' arrive?
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#45 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7537 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

Sorry for dropping this. Been busy, will deal with it at some point.

And I haven't seen any further comms from anyone on new people either.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#46 Craig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hello all, I might be your newest member as of writing - Traveler recruited me off of the bloomberg comments section. Haven't written any responses on the Politics threads yet, but I've got a couple of ideas brewing.

It looks like I have a lot of the same political leanings as most of the folks around here along with a couple divergent/contrarian views, some of which I hope to share with all of you soon. I'm not a terribly frequent poster on any forum or comment section that I've been a part of, but I enjoy reading the back and forth and giving my 2 cents when I feel they're contributive.

My background might bring something a little fresh as well - lived most of my life in North Carolina inside one of the many pockets of liberal thinking dotting a canvas of mostly red. I work and interact with Trump supporters everyday, so I sometimes have a little insight into their reasoning.

Thanks for the invitation, and I'm lookin forward to many thoughtful discussions.

#47 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12153 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

Welcome!
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#48 justconnect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

These days, as an infrequent lurker, I really should have no say in this discussion.

But that doesn't seem to stop people these days -- so my outsider opinion is that bringing in a small group of informed and interesting posters would spark things up a bit.

(I have dropped off considerably in my online posting ... so don't take my absence personally! Still very fond of the perceptive and witty voices on this formerly-Frum-"Forum".)
So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Lord, let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. Molly Ivins

#49 George Powell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

I am another newbie to this site. If nobody ever invites new blood I find it a bit puzzling how this site continues to exist and indeed how it started. I am sure all will be revealed. Yes, if a member comes across a poster who they think can make an intelligent contribution to the forum why not invite them?
I come from the Bloomberg section and was 'recruited' by mountaineer.

I have a few ideas to post but they will probably considered contentious, so I will bide my time for a bit.

#50 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12153 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

Welcome. This forum is the extension of the old Frum Forum when Frum closed up shop. The older members frequented Frum's blog and were part of that community. When Frum moved on to TDB many of us followed and ended up here when he stopped contributing to TDB. many of us have known each other for years. While you will find some great thought, insight and information presented here, it is also a fantastic source for some great news and opinion links.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#51 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8665 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:00 PM

View PostAnBr, on 13 July 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

While you will find some great thought, insight and information presented here, it is also a fantastic source for some great news and opinion links.

Not to mention low humor and occasional great recipes paired with rare beers. Or maybe that's rarely bearded recipes good with pears. Something in that range.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#52 George Powell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:37 PM

View PostAnBr, on 13 July 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

Welcome. This forum is the extension of the old Frum Forum when Frum closed up shop. The older members frequented Frum's blog and were part of that community. When Frum moved on to TDB many of us followed and ended up here when he stopped contributing to TDB. many of us have known each other for years. While you will find some great thought, insight and information presented here, it is also a fantastic source for some great news and opinion links.
Thanks for the welcome, it is appreciated. I have been reading TRS posts for a few months and know for a fact that you have some deep and interesting resources here. I hope some people at least find my posts similarly provocative and thoughtful.

#53 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4380 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:47 PM

D. C. Sessions, on 13 July 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

Not to mention low humor and occasional great recipes paired with rare beers. Or maybe that's rarely bearded recipes good with pears. Something in that range.

We save our low humor for days of the week ending in Y. Welcome, George Powell. :)
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#54 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7665 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

Welcome George Powell. Are you related to Colin? ;)

#55 George Powell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:37 AM

Rue Bella, on 18 October 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

Welcome George Powell. Are you related to Colin? ;)
Thanks for the welcome. Re Colin - Difficult to be really sure. Although I do share 60% of my genes with a banana and even admit that a grain of rice has more genes than I do.
Good to be on board.

#56 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7665 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:10 AM

And by any chance would that rice be Condi?

;)

#57 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1545 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:33 AM

Welcome, George.

If you're so inclined, check out the "Community" forum -- that's the repository for most of the lighter, "fun" discussion threads. Many of us regulars and semi-regulars have posted introductory sketches of ourselves here.

Come to think of it, mine could stand to be updated...
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#58 George Powell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:42 AM

Rue Bella, on 19 October 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

And by any chance would that rice be Condi?

;)
Ha, no. We have about 32,000 functional genes but a grain of rice has 34,000 plus functional genes. And we share more than half our genes with a banana. I am boring Welsh, but don't let old Rich T Bicci know I said that.

#59 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12153 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 01:58 PM

It seems as if Craig and DCoronata are MIA. For that matter Progressive whisperer has not posted here in a while.

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users