#1 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12469 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

Hello All,

For some time now, I have been interacting with a pretty vibrant comment community over on Bloomberg View. IMO, one of the better commentariats on the net. (TAC is too wordy, LGM is too smart by half and the other communities are just too large.) TRS is is where I come first every day, and is my RSS feed (no small thanks to LFC). I value it as my own social media. You folks are as much my friends as many in meatspace. This site is special. I then go to BB for some spirited discussion with folks on the other side of the aisle.

But times they are a changin'. BB just went behind a paywall, so a bunch of commenters and I formed a strike. We now have 34 commenters signed up, including DCoronata and me. So now it looks like BB is turning a cold shoulder to our request for a more realistic paywall. Meanwhile comments have dropped off drastically.

So I am pretty sure that whole crew is going to get left high and dry. There are about 15 of those that would fit right in here. They are serious, smart, sensible and some are downright funny. A bit broader spectrum than what we have here, but most right down our line.

I know Charles does NOT want us soliciting folks, although I violate this edict regularly. DCoronata is the latest transgression. But now I want to explore with you all whether we should invite in the entire crew on ModeratePoli's blog. As a small site, such an invite is not broadcast widely. Many there will probably pass, but I think an important few would go for it. Each of these have an extensive disqus history you can view. Some are total turkeys and I doubt they would even sign up.

So should we open up for this crew? I will put together a poll once I get enough feedback and we can proceed accordingly.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. This could be a very good thing.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#2 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

Youngblood!
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

#3 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3767 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:18 PM

View PostTraveler, on 21 May 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

So should we open up for this crew? I will put together a poll once I get enough feedback and we can proceed accordingly.

Fine with me; but, to be blunt, I don't want any more DSPs or Raskolniks. I'm sure it goes without saying that none of your prospects, Traveler, will waste our time or frazzle our nerves. DSP was like an intolerable buzzing in the ears lasting years on end; Raskolnik shocked me to the core when he suddenly went barking mad in one post (or so it seemed), after a year or two of seeming to be quite a pleasant guy, if a little too reactionary and right wing for me. Thank God he removed himself from our midst before he stunk the place out.

But don't mind me; I have much less skin in the game now; I lurk more than I post.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#4 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12153 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 21 May 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

Fine with me; but, to be blunt, I don't want any more DSPs or Raskolniks. I'm sure it goes without saying that none of your prospects, Traveler, will waste our time or frazzle our nerves. DSP was like an intolerable buzzing in the ears lasting years on end; Raskolnik shocked me to the core when he suddenly went barking mad in one post (or so it seemed), after a year or two of seeming to be quite a pleasant guy, if a little too reactionary and right wing for me. Thank God he removed himself from our midst before he stunk the place out.

But don't mind me; I have much less skin in the game now; I lurk more than I post.

Trolls are one thing and are best dealt with by banning. Knuckle draggers are another issue that I don't think we should be too worried about. DSP and Raskolnik are why I think we can survive an occasional potential knuckle dragger. Rask did not last too long after being called out for his boorish behavior, not his views. Sometimes debating DSP felt a little like banging your head against a brick wall, but he was never rude and eventually gave up and moved on. To paraphrase Mittens, the knuckle draggers can self-ban themselves.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#5 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12153 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 21 May 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

Youngblood!

Or Fresh Meat!
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#6 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8665 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

Aside from the above qualifiers, seems good to me.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#7 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7665 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

Why not? Being the first TRS member who signed up (besides Charles) this place preceded the breakup of Frum's site. TRS survived the influx of y'all, it also should survive and probably prosper with some new blood. :)

Do we need to put in place some sort of written application? ;)
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#8 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7919 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

There we go- the OG commenter has spoken. Let's go- with Charles' approval. I see the consternation of this poster or that, but do remember- we can shun and/or ignore. Nobody forces any of us to bang our heads against a wall. Although I have... :P
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

#9 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1545 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

Of late, I’ve been more like Rich — lurking much more than posting. I’m not sure how much that will change after school finishes for the year.

I don’t see a problem with new membership offers. Off & on, I’ve considered inviting 1 or 2 “meatspace” cronies over, myself. The rest of you have pretty well covered potential issues that I could foresee.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#10 DCoronata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:46 AM

Hi there, topic's unintentional "subject" here...

I hope you've been enjoying my posts and I've certainly enjoyed being here and a part of the community. Traveller and I have been posting together at Bloomberg for several years, and he has suggested to "hand pick" a few of the literally hundreds of regular posters there to join us now that Bloomberg has paywalled. There's about a dozen people there who I am sure would be very interesting and fun contributors. Admittedly they do skew towards the economics and liberal side - there are a few very interesting "intelligent" conservatives there and a couple have been suggested - but they all tend to be very strong on their facts and intellectually sound. The demographics might seem to be a bit aged, but that seems to be similar to what's currently here as well. None of them are remotely troll like.

And there's even a birder with American Littoral Society creds there!

Most places run through a bell curve of "enthusiasm and participation", and as time goes by people drift away and no doubt this will happen to all of us. New blood tends is on the leading edge of the curve, and they might keep others on that edge for a longer period of time. At least, they might stretch the trailing edge.
Ambassador Spock: "There's an old Vulcan proverb, that only Nixon could go to China, and only Trump could screw up North Korea."

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
“Do you believe we can trust you rabble with a Republic?"

#11 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4380 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:51 PM

I welcome new blood. I came over here when Frum ended his site, and have found all of you to be well informed, challenging, and thoughtful, if maybe a little more to the political left (in most cases) than me. I like that all of you post interesting links, buttress your arguments with evidence and examples, and don't post ideological nonsense. So thank you all. Most commentariats, by contrast, are almost insufferable (to me anyway).

I hope we can attract new members to keep this refuge of sanity going (I welcome a broader spectrum of viewpoints, provided that one's opinion is evidence-based, and one's mind is open to new ideas).
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#12 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8665 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

Is there something like the RMS rule for discussion board demographics?
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24675 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 22 May 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

I welcome new blood.

Well THAT sounds a bit intimidating and troubling.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#14 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7919 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:14 AM

It makes the hair shiny and the skin oh-so glow-y.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

#15 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24675 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

View PostPractical Girl, on 23 May 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

It makes the hair shiny and the skin oh-so glow-y.

PG? Is that you?

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#16 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7665 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

Don't scare the new people....
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#17 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8665 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

Elizabeth Báthory, is that you?

#18 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7537 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:29 AM

Sorry for not replying on this sooner.

"I know Charles does NOT want us soliciting folks, although I violate this edict regularly."

Actually, I've repeatedly in the past encouraged people to invite others here, because our core has been stagnant for a very long time, and boards that don't get fresh infusions of new contributors always eventually die off. Sorry if I subsequently said anything to give the opposite impression.

That said, I'd prefer if the invites were targeted at good contributors as opposed to scattershotted at a whole group unless the group overall is of high quality.

Right now, invites would require manual approval and I'd need someone to (preferably) email me their usernames.

In the long run, this forum software needs an overhaul or replacement, which is going to cost time and money.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#19 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12469 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:33 AM

Thanks Charles,

The forum I am going to reach out to is mostly excellent folks. Although a few ROCs that will not come over anyway. Everyone there is about to set up their own, but I figure a broadcast invite to them all will bring in a few. So I will post it over there, get the name list and let you know.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#20 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24675 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

View Postcmk, on 24 May 2018 - 07:29 AM, said:

Actually, I've repeatedly in the past encouraged people to invite others here, because our core has been stagnant for a very long time...

Did Charles just tell us all that we need to shower?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users