136 replies to this topic

#41 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28453 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

Alabama makes the stand for the morality of hating fags and discriminating against them.

Alabama Public Television refused to air an episode of “Arthur” last week that featured a wedding between two men, choosing instead to play a re-run episode.

APT’s director of programming, Mike Mckenzie, told AL.com on Monday that he isn’t planning to air the episode.

“Parents have trusted Alabama Public Television for more than 50 years to provide children’s programs that entertain, educate and inspire,” Mckenzie said. “More importantly – although we strongly encourage parents to watch television with their children and talk about what they have learned afterwards – parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision. We also know that children who are younger than the ‘target’ audience for Arthur also watch the program.”

The long-running children’s cartoon caused a stir last week with its episode “Mr. Ratburn’s Special Someone,” in which the titular character’s teacher marries another man. Many applauded the show for including representation of a LGBTQ relationship, while conservatives like Sebastian Gorka lamented that the cartoon wedding was “a war for our culture.”

AL.com noted that APT also declined to air a 2005 “Arthur” episode that included a character with two mothers.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#42 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28453 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

The Christianist zealots have gotten further in the administration than any other. You can thank Mike Pence in no small part for allowing these utterly insane religious nutjobs (or as Pence would call them "my people!") to actually have access to the levers of government power. Every time you scratch the Republican Party a little more you reveal another freak show. And, as we all know, it's aaaaaallll about sex. The hangups they've bred into themselves are downright scary.

Recently, a congressional staffer going about his business on the Hill encountered a couple of people who handed him a pamphlet with the scintillating title “Sexual Sin and the Aphrodisiac of Power.” Sadly, this was not a post-#MeToo effort to discourage sexual harassment in the halls of Congress. Instead, the document implored “legislators, staff and lobbyists” to adopt a strict fundamentalist view of sexuality, which holds that there is no legitimate expression of sex — including masturbation — outside “the confines and commitment of a husband and a wife (a male and a female) in the bonds of matrimony.”

Most urban dwellers, in Washington or elsewhere, have had these chance encounters with religious proselytizers trying to lure om the lost, lonely and emotionally vulnerable. But this was no random encounter with some true believer or doorbell-ringer. These folks were working for Capitol Ministries, a powerful right-wing group that is laser-focused on founder Ralph Drollinger’s goal of recruiting public leaders and leaning on them to impose the group’s far-right views on a public that overwhelmingly rejects them.

Furthermore, the group has been quite successful so far. As the pamphlet indicated, sponsors of the Capitol Ministries Bible Studies includes seven members of President Trump’s Cabinet, the head of NASA, and Vice President Mike Pence. According to Peter Montgomery of People for the American Way, who has been monitoring Capitol Ministries for years now, the group has weekly Bible studies for House members and senators, as well as one for Cabinet officials.

“[Drollinger] uses this really rare and privileged access he has by doing things like a Bible study with members of the Cabinet to tell these powerful public officials that the Bible mandates right-wing economic, social and environmental policies,” Montgomery told Salon.

This is evidence, he continued, “that the Trump administration is the culmination of the religious right’s takeover of the Republican Party over the last few decades.”

Drollinger is sensitive to claims that, by wielding this influence, he is violating the separation of church and state. Instead, the line at Capitol Ministries is that they “believe in an institutional separation” but also that they “believe in influence.” Which is to say they aren’t trying to forcibly convert all Americans to Christianity, but they are most definitely interested in forcing an extreme interpretation of Christian dogma on all American citizens, whether they agree with it or not.

For instance, in a 2018 class, Drollinger taught his acolytes that “Government is meant by God to quell evil” adding, “Governments and their leaders must send a constant message that sin will be punished.” So the policy upshot of that message would be that Americans can believe whatever they want in private, but if they commit what Drollinger teaches is “sin,” they should face governmental punishment.

“Sexual Sin and the Aphrodisiac of Power,” which is available at the Capitol Ministries website, is a good example of what Drollinger is teaching the people who run the country. Members are asked to refer to Galatians 5:16, the verse that instructs, “you will not gratify the desires of the flesh,” because the “the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit.”

The Bible defines “the desires of the flesh” pretty broadly and without much consistency. They seem to include “idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy.” This Bible study, however, is focused entirely on the issue of sexual expression outside a heterosexual marriage, including those expressions that might happen when “the privacy of a hotel room is combined with the promotion of the internet or pay-per-view television.”

“Since most everyone possesses sexual desire, get married!” the pamphlet cheerily recommends, as if making a life-changing legal and emotional commitment was about the same level of decision as grabbing a sandwich because you’re hungry.

But despite the breeziness of the “just get married” message early on, things turn more serious later the document: “Once married, one’s body becomes the property of his or her spouse.”

Specifically, the pamphlet explains that spouses need “to be unselfish when it comes to meeting the physical needs of their mates” so “as to remove the temptation of sexual fulfillment outside of wedlock.”

Read on about some of their "successes."
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#43 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28453 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

More sickness as Trump supports religious based discrimination at every turn. Why? Because the evangelicals publicly suck his dick. It's as toxic as any codependent relationship can be. "Express your love for me and I'll hurt the people you don't like."

#44 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7884 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

Not only continued christian dysmorphia, but anything Obama was for, Trump is automatically against. Win-win.

President Trump is steadily rolling back Obama-era nondiscrimination policies across the entire federal government — including health care, housing and the military.

What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#45 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7884 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

https://abcnews.go.c...people-63253924

Administration moves to revoke transgender health protection

he Trump administration moved Friday to revoke newly won health care discrimination protections for transgender people, the latest in a series of actions that aim to reverse gains by LGBTQ Americans in areas ranging from the military to housing and education.

The Health and Human Services Department released a proposed regulation that in effect says "gender identity" is not protected under federal laws that prohibit sex discrimination in health care. It would reverse an Obama-era policy that the Trump administration already is not enforcing.

"The actions today are part and parcel of this administration's efforts to erase LGBTQ people from federal regulations and to undermine nondiscrimination protections across the board," said Omar Gonzalez-Pagan, a senior attorney on health care at Lambda Legal, a civil rights organization representing LGBT people.

What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#46 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5723 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

View PostLFC, on 24 May 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

The Christianist zealots have gotten further in the administration than any other. You can thank Mike Pence in no small part for allowing these utterly insane religious nutjobs (or as Pence would call them "my people!") to actually have access to the levers of government power. Every time you scratch the Republican Party a little more you reveal another freak show. And, as we all know, it's aaaaaallll about sex. The hangups they've bred into themselves are downright scary.

Read on about some of their "successes."

I see this obsession with the sexual behavior of others as a sign of these people working out their unhealthy personalities and experiences...sort of like the incels ...but with a Biblical gloss over it all. And how do they know what goes on in “the privacy of a hotel room is combined with the promotion of the internet or pay-per-view television.”? Hmmm? Sounds like a guilty conscience to me.

#47 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28453 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

Franklin Graham, even more rotten fruit of an already rotten tree, calls for a "special day of prayer" to protect Trump against his enemies.

One of the country’s most prominent evangelicals and most ardent supporters of President Trump is using his platform to prompt fellow Christians to pray for Trump’s protection against his “enemies” who he seek to “destroy him.”

On his Facebook page, Franklin Graham announced a designated “special day of prayer” for Trump on Sunday, June 2.

“President Trump’s enemies continue to try everything to destroy him, his family, and the presidency,” he said. “In the history of our country, no president has been attacked as he has. I believe the only hope for him, and this nation, is God. This is a critical time for America. We’re on the edge of a precipice. Time is short. We need to pray for God to intervene. We need to ask God to protect, strengthen, encourage, and guide the president.”

Along with 250+ Christian leaders, I am asking followers of Christ across our nation to set aside next Sunday, June 2,…

Posted by Franklin Graham on Sunday, May 26, 2019

Graham is the head of Samaritan’s Purse and son of the late evangelist Billy Graham. Franklin Graham has been a longtime supporter of Trump and has maintained that his support is contingent on his belief that Trump defends the values of evangelical Christians, despite questions about Trump’s moral misgivings.

#48 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4234 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:02 PM

So. If the Democrats win 2020 America falls off a precipice?

Righhhhhhhht . . . .
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#49 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5723 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

Doesn’t Franklin want Armageddon? I lose track of who wants s us destroyed and where it’s supposed to happen.

#50 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4861 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

On his Facebook page, Franklin Graham announced a designated “special day of prayer” for Trump on Sunday, June 2

Since Nancy Pelosi already said that she's praying for Trump, I think she should issue a statement of support.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#51 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13199 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#52 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3668 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:50 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 28 May 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

Since Nancy Pelosi already said that she's praying for Trump, I think she should issue a statement of support.

That would be a perfect twitter response from her; "I'm already praying for him."
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#53 Sinan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2732 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:21 PM

I have to confess that I can begin to see why history is filled with events fueled by pure hatred towards others. Since Trump has been elected, my distaste for the other side has begun to feel like true hatred. Once it gets to the point where this emotion is overwhelming, bad things happen if enough people feel the same way. There simply is no common ground anymore. It is a battle that will result in turmoil if it continues. I simply cannot fathom how reasonable people can act in these ways. Sure I know there are plenty of good people on both sides but that has always been true. You pick sides and live and die with your choice. We are entering dangerous territory folks. I fear that a trigger point or event may unleash the ugly side of humanity. We are not immune from being human beings.
"anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding

"A person who reads books lives a thousand lives. A person who never reads lives only one"
George Martin

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Zappa

"and let not mankind bogart love"

Willie Nelson and Colbert

#54 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1733 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:52 PM

View PostSinan, on 30 May 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

We are entering dangerous territory folks. I fear that a trigger point or event may unleash the ugly side of humanity.

We are not immune from being human beings.

"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#55 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:05 AM

View PostSinan, on 30 May 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

I have to confess that I can begin to see why history is filled with events fueled by pure hatred towards others. Since Trump has been elected, my distaste for the other side has begun to feel like true hatred. Once it gets to the point where this emotion is overwhelming, bad things happen if enough people feel the same way. There simply is no common ground anymore. It is a battle that will result in turmoil if it continues. I simply cannot fathom how reasonable people can act in these ways. Sure I know there are plenty of good people on both sides but that has always been true. You pick sides and live and die with your choice. We are entering dangerous territory folks. I fear that a trigger point or event may unleash the ugly side of humanity. We are not immune from being human beings.

I know there have been many parallels to WWII drawn up, but I have conjectured that in some respects we’re closer to the run-up to WWI, especially considering the aspects of the economic divides in the West.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#56 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28453 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

View PostBact PhD, on 31 May 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

I know there have been many parallels to WWII drawn up, but I have conjectured that in some respects we’re closer to the run-up to WWI, especially considering the aspects of the economic divides in the West.

I was thinking we're closer to 1860.

#57 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28453 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

A Catholic bishop with a clear lack of decency and an enormous lack of hypocrisy tries to say that gay culture is a danger to children.

Providence, Rhode Island Bishop Thomas Tobin found himself under fire this weekend after he posted an extremely homophobic tweet warning his fellow Catholics about LGBTQ Pride month and falsely claiming that gay pride and gay “culture” are “especially harmful for children.”

The tweet went viral, but Bishop Tobin got “ratioed,” meaning his remarks were so offensive the number of people who took time to comment outweighed the likes and retweets exponentially.

#58 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28453 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:23 PM

View PostLFC, on 21 May 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

Alabama makes the stand for the morality of hating fags and discriminating against them.

A church in Alabama takes a stand against evil. In fact they've taken multiple stands. Evil is unhappy about that.

A historic Methodist church in Birmingham, Alabama will break with denominational policy to host a “family friendly” screening of the “Arthur” episode that flung conservatives into a frenzy and pushed the state’s public television station to opt out of running the programming.

The Birmingham First United Methodist Church will hold an event on June 15 to screen the “Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone” episode, which features Arthur’s third-grade teacher Mr. Ratburn getting married to his male partner. The premiere episode of the 22nd season of the PBS show was well-received on Twitter, but prompted uber-conservative talking head Sebastian Gorka to declare a “culture war.”

While it didn’t specifically comment on the content of the episode, Alabama Public Television told AL.com last month that it wouldn’t air it because it has a “trust with parents about our programming.” More than a decade ago, APT also opted to skip an Arthur episode that featured a cartoon character who had two mothers.

The Birmingham church event advertises “wedding cake, sparkling apple juice and surprises” on its Facebook page. First Church was chosen by the local Sidewalk Film Festival event coordinators to host the screening because of its “mission is to be an open place for all and for many years we have been advocates for the full inclusion of LGBTQ persons not only in the life of the church, but in all of society,” Rev. RG Wilson-Lyons told TPM in a statement Tuesday.

It’s not the first time the Birmingham church has been chosen to host screenings during the pro-LGBTQ film fest, the church said.

“We have seen the good that can come from sharing our space with our partners who seek to elevate conversations about justice in our community,” Wilson-Lyons said. “First Church sees this screening as another opportunity to raise awareness for justice, equality, and liberty for all persons.”

The United Methodist Church as a whole is historically known for its social justice advocacy — recently, hundreds of clergy formally condemned former Attorney General Jeff Sessions for the Trump administration’s family separation policy.

#59 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28453 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:54 PM

Former Bush speechwriter Michael Gerson describes Franklin Graham as an angry political toady. Sounds about right.

Conservative columnist Michael Gerson, a former speechwriter for President George W. Bush, has taken a hammer to the Rev. Franklin Graham’s call for Christians to pray for President Donald Trump to defeat his political enemies.

Writing in the Washington Post, Gerson said that Graham has completely warped and twisted Christian teachings and filtered them through the very narrow lens of personal politics.
Report Advertisement

“In Graham, we are seeing God in the hands of an angry political toady,” he wrote. “Offended by the views and tactics of Trump’s opponents, Graham decided to play his ultimate trump card: calling for God to intervene on one side of a political and cultural struggle.”

He then went on to describe Graham’s theological view that he could personally call on God to help the president win the 2020 election “an absurdity and an abomination” that completely contradicts Christian teaching.

“Graham has become a prophet in exact reverse,” he argued. “Instead of calling out Trump’s cruelty and poor character, he excuses them. Instead of confronting corruption, Graham blesses it. His message reveals nothing about God’s priorities and everything about his own. He has found his pearl of great price — the political welfare of Trump — and has sold everything else to buy it.”

#60 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4861 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:57 PM

The Plague of Toadies!
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users