#261 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6413 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:55 PM

pnwguy, on 27 February 2020 - 05:56 PM, said:

Well, Dumpster did say to "take the oil" when talking about invading other countries. But who knew that the Almighty would provide another kind?

I understand how this sort of thing can happen when there is no science around to help explain something but in this era I don't get it. Do people still feel so unable to explain things that they grab onto something like this? Is it just more fun and satisfying to believe that some benevolent something is communicating with them somehow, common sense be damned?

#262 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10715 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:24 PM

golden_valley, on 27 February 2020 - 07:55 PM, said:

I understand how this sort of thing can happen when there is no science around to help explain something but in this era I don't get it. Do people still feel so unable to explain things that they grab onto something like this? Is it just more fun and satisfying to believe that some benevolent something is communicating with them somehow, common sense be damned?

They don't like the explanation.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#263 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2400 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

That's it. The foundation for supernatural belief: thrill and titillation. Oh, and laziness. Avoids the need for hard work of a proper explanation. "God did it. God has his own mind beyond the reach of mere mortals. No point trying to figure it out. Rules don't apply. Just accept it."

Another motivation is fame. Quotidian events and explanations are too pedestrian to bring any attention. However, defiance of common sense, and rejection of evidence and natural explanations is a path to notoriety. Applies to both sides: those who indulge in the tricks and those who are thrilled by them (they're special too because they get it, they're the selected ones, not you elitists).

#264 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2302 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

Do people still feel so unable to explain things that they grab onto something like this? Yes

Is it just more fun and satisfying to believe that some benevolent something is communicating with them somehow, common sense be damned? Yes

Carlin - “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#265 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32834 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:05 PM

pnwguy, on 27 February 2020 - 05:56 PM, said:

Well, Dumpster did say to "take the oil" when talking about invading other countries. But who knew that the Almighty would provide another kind?

Wow. That's just ... sad.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#266 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32834 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:06 PM

Interesting history on the right-wing Christianist unquenchable lust and drive for power and where it's roots are from. Reagan did more than his part to help these anti-democracy theocrats along. This is a sickness in our country and it needs to be crushed.

Right around the time the House began its impeachment inquiry, the homepage of the U.S. Department of State featured a talk by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo titled “Being a Christian Leader.” Only a few weeks had passed since Attorney General William Barr told students at Notre Dame Law School that “secularists” are to blame for “moral chaos” and “immense suffering, wreckage, and misery,” and that “Judeo-Christian moral standards are the ultimate utilitarian rules for human conduct.” Then, at a January campaign rally at a Miami megachurch, President Donald Trump told the largely evangelical crowd that God is “on our side.”

Most of us have a sense that this kind of religious-nationalist rhetoric and behavior got its start with the revolution that Reagan brought to power. A decisive moment was in August 1980, at the Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas, when Reagan addressed 15,000 thousand pastors and religious activists. “I know that you can’t endorse me,” but “I want you to know that I endorse you and what you are doing,” he said, to wild applause.

Reagan’s speech at the Reunion Arena marked a sea change in the role of conservative religion in American politics. But some of those who had helped organize the event were concerned that the one individual who deserved the most credit for the transformation of the interface of politics and religion was not on the podium. “We agreed that it was unfortunate that Rousas Rushdoony was not speaking,” radical theologian Gary North later observed, recalling an exchange with Robert Billings, a Reagan campaign staffer who had previously served as executive director of Jerry Falwell’s Moral Majority organization. Billings responded, “If it weren’t for his books none of us would be here.” “Nobody in the audience understands that,” North countered. “True, but we do,” Billings reportedly replied.

Howard Phillips, a former Nixon administration aide who was also present at the Reunion Arena, called Rushdoony the “most influential man of the 21st century.” As he confided to author and religious studies professor Julie Ingersoll in 2007, “The whole Christian conservative political movement had its genesis in Rush.”

Rousas John Rushdoony was born in 1916 to Armenian immigrants who had narrowly escaped the genocide, in which as many as 1.5 million Armenians were murdered by Turks of the Ottoman Empire. Rushdoony’s father, who founded the Armenian Martyrs Presbyterian Church in Kingsburg, California, ministered to a community of fellow Armenian refugees, who agonized and grieved as letters from relatives back home came to a standstill. “In Armenia, there was no neutral ground between Islam and Christianity,” Rushdoony wrote in 1997. “And I came to realize there is no neutral ground anywhere.”

Rushdoony left his family home and made his way to college at the University of California, Berkeley. He did not fit in. Advised to read the classics, Rushdoony later called this “the ugliest experience of my life.” He pronounced the works of Shakespeare, Homer and the rest of the canon “classics of degenerate cultures. What they offer at their best is evil.”

Rushdoony emerged from Berkeley with all the distinctive features of his intellectual persona in place: a resolutely binary form of thought that classified all things into one of two absolutes; a craving for order; and a loathing of the secular world.

Rushdoony began to advocate for a return to “biblical law” in America. The Bible, Rushdoony said, commands Christians to exercise dominion over the earth and all its inhabitants. Women are destined by God to be subordinate to men; men are destined to be ruled by a spiritual aristocracy of right-thinking Christian leaders, and public education is a threat to civilization for it promotes a “secular world-view.” In over thirty books and publications, including The Messianic Character of American Education and The Institutes of Biblical Law – often hailed as his magnum opus and recommended as one of the Choice Evangelical Books of 1973 by evangelical flagship journal Christianity Today — Rushdoony laid it all out in a program he called Christian Reconstruction.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#267 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32834 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:17 PM

More on the sick, twisted, religious zealots wheedling their way into the Republican Party and our nation's government. Everything about these people constitutes a threat to democracy and freedom.

It’s one of the most enduring conundrums of the Donald Trump era: How is it that the Christian right, the self-appointed monitors of American morality, have come to so enthusiastically back a thrice-married chronic adulterer who lies as easily as he breathes?

Author Katherine Stewart has the answer: Because the true god these folks worship is power. In her book, “The Power Worshippers: Inside the Dangerous Rise of Religious Nationalism,” Stewart details how she traveled around the country, getting to know the various Christian conservative figures that are whipping support for Trump and his agenda. She deems the “Christian nationalists” and demonstrates how their supposedly Christian values always come second to their endless quest for power.

On the upside maybe they'll destroy themselves with purity tests.

There is perhaps no easier way to illustrate the history and present realities of white evangelicals’ pluralism problem than by turning to the Southern Baptist Convention. These days, the range of acceptable political opinion among white Southern Baptists ranges approximately from very right-wing to ultra right-wing. But even as the SBC struggles to come up with an effective response to numerous cases of abuse and coverups that have come to light in recent years, some of the prominent ultra-right-wingers are clamoring to suppress the merely very right-wingers, whom they disdain for being “too liberal” and blame for declining finances in the SBC’s central structures.

The primary target of the ultras’ ire is Russell Moore, head of the SBC’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, a body that was formed on the foundations of the older Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty (with which the SBC cut all ties in 1991) and the Christian Life Commission. The ERLC’s founding was part of the culmination of the SBC’s so-called “conservative resurgence,” a purge of liberals from SBC leadership and institutions that dominated SBC life in the 1980s and 1990s. The hostile takeover was led by men like Paul Pressler, who stands credibly accused of molesting boys over decades, and Paige Patterson, who was disgraced in 2018 when audio surfaced of him counseling an abused wife to stay with her husband and to try to change him through prayer.

#268 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32834 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:20 PM

Here's an example of one of Trump's "best people", so fine in fact that he pardoned her for her crimes. This is how they justify their crimes against gay people, by falsely playing the victims themselves.

After President Donald Trump pardoned former reality show star and convicted felon Angela Stanton-King she announced her run for Congress, challenging civil rights leader and Democratic U.S. Rep. John Lewis for his Georgia seat.

Stanton-King announced her candidacy on Friday, running on a so-called “ProLIFE” platform.

That same day she posted a violent anti-LGBTQ meme depicting a rainbow-colored graphic of an arm with a hand pointing a gun, finger on the trigger, not just at someone’s head but shoved into the back of it, assassination or “execution-style.” The apparent intended victim also happens to be wearing a Christian cross.

Presumably, the message is LGBTQ people are violent murderers.
Defend democracy. Click to invest in courageous progressive journalism today.

The graphic, identified by “Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters” author and blogger Alvin McEwen, reads:

LGBT “Rights”.
1995: We want tolerance.
2005: We want equality.
2015: Bake the f##### cake, bigot.
2016: Say my pronouns or go to jail.
2020: Let me f### your 8 yo kid, pedophobe.

Any suggestion LGBTQ people are by and large pedophiles who are demanding the right to rape children is not only false, but disgusting.

(Trigger warning, NCRM suggests caution.)

Here is a screenshot of the tweet, which currently can be found here. Her tweet reads: “Enough is Enough,” with an #LGBTQ hashtag.

Posted Image

#269 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6413 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:48 PM

I know the US is a violent country but it still surprises me that a group that calls itself "pro life" is posting execution images against anyone.

#270 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32834 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:26 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 10 March 2020 - 06:48 PM, said:

I know the US is a violent country but it still surprises me that a group that calls itself "pro life" is posting execution images against anyone.

It's not against gays. They're claiming the gays are coming to execute them because, you know, Christians are so persecuted in this country.

#271 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6413 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

View PostLFC, on 10 March 2020 - 07:26 PM, said:

It's not against gays. They're claiming the gays are coming to execute them because, you know, Christians are so persecuted in this country.

Oh sorry.

#272 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5264 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:49 PM

They're concerned with protecting "innocent life," that is life that hasn't achieved the ability to make its own decisions yet. Once people decide they're more attracted to their own gender, or that they'd rather vote for Democrats, that no longer applies.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#273 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10715 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:13 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 10 March 2020 - 07:49 PM, said:

They're concerned with protecting "innocent life," that is life that hasn't achieved the ability to make its own decisions yet.

Or breathe.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#274 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32834 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:37 PM

Trump's Christianist base stays as warped and twisted as ever. I used to be more live and let live but this is a sickness upon our land that is a danger to our very democracy. It must be defeated, stuffed back "into the closet" as it were. We simply can't ignore the supporters of fascism and the reasons they support it.

Evangelical white Christians in the United States are largely satisfied with President Donald Trump, who has assiduously courted their vote ahead of the 2020 election, according to a poll released Thursday.

The Pew Research survey said 76 percent of evangelical white Christians said they agreed with Trump on many or all issues, while 81 percent said Trump “fights for what I believe in.”

Trump has become a staunch opponent of abortion as he seeks to rally evangelicals behind his re-election bid, while he has also appointed two conservative judges to the Supreme Court.

At an evangelical church in January, Trump told the delighted congregation “I really do believe we have God on our side” and promised “another monumental victory for faith and family, God and country, flag and freedom” in the election.

Any loss of evangelical support — especially in battleground states like Florida — could damage his chances of a second term.

The survey revealed more mixed reaction to Trump personally, with 61 percent describing him as morally upstanding and 69 percent describing him as honest.

On his character, 70 percent described him as self-centered, 49 percent described him as even-tempered and 83 percent said he was intelligent.

The survey was conducted among 6,395 Americans, including about 1,000 white evangelicals.

#275 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32834 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:05 PM

Another sick Christianist f*** employed by the Trump administration.

Fun fact: The United States cabinet had not had a Bible study class in over 100 years until Donald Trump took office. But now every Wednesday a man named Ralph Drollinger convenes some of the most powerful people in the country to delve into Christian scripture.

But Drollinger’s religious musings aren’t relegated only to closed-door White House sessions. He also has a blog, Capitol Ministries, where he shares his thoughts with the world.

And earlier this week he posted what he calls a “biblically astute evaluation” of the coronavirus crisis. It’s a doozy.

“Yes, America is experiencing the consequential wrath of God,” he says. He lays out five key “identifiers” of why this is, with number three being “a sensation toward homosexuality.”

“Clearly indicative of God’s forsaking wrath is when the abandoned serve the creature rather than the creator,” he writes. “Indicative of forsaking wrath is a proclivity toward lesbianism and homosexuality.”

It’d be one thing if these were just the inconsequential ramblings of a religious wingnut, but Drollinger has direct influence at the highest levels of the federal government. The Intercept reports that his religious justifications were even used by Trump in devising the disastrous policy of separating migrant children from their families in detention.

And Drollinger’s dangerous thinking doesn’t stop there.

He also claims the Earth is suffering from illness and natural disasters because people worship the “religion of environmentalism.” Environmentalists, he says, are “largely responsible for God’s consequential wrath on our nation.”

So… the people who are trying to combat climate change are actually causing climate change by the very nature of their passion.

#276 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5264 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:16 PM

View PostLFC, on 26 March 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

I didn't realize that Wuhan was the Chinese equivalent of Polk/Christopher Street.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users