191 replies to this topic

#181 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10264 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

The cake cases are predicated on the legal premise that decorating a cake is an expressive act protected under the First Amendment.

Health care is much more like being served in a restaurant [1] or accommodated in a hotel. Only, if anything, more so.

[1] Who is defending the artistry of a master chef? WHO?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#182 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:48 AM

Hmmmm, how about house painting, landscaping, interior decorating, and other "artistic" services?

#183 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10264 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:26 PM

View PostJackD, on 07 November 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

Hmmmm, how about house painting, landscaping, interior decorating, and other "artistic" services?

Trust a lawyer to drag us over to the slippery slope.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#184 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6117 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:51 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 07 November 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

Trust a lawyer to drag us over to the slippery slope.

Jack didn't make the slope; he just pointed it out!

#185 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31001 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

Trump wants to stuff LGBTQ people back in the closet as much as possible. Here we have more legalized discrimination of legally married couples this time in allowing discrimination when it comes to adoptions. I guess some marriages are just more marriagey than others. I suspect there are entire states that would grab this and run with it, Alabama being the first shithole to come to mind.

Foster care agencies could soon turn away prospective foster parents because they are gay or trans, thanks to a rule proposed by the Trump administration on Friday.

The rule would remove language protecting LGBTQ people and others from discrimination in programs funded by grants from the Department of Health and Human Services, according to the Washington Post.

The change would apply to a wide range of programs, including those aimed at HIV prevention and treatment for opioid addiction and other substance abuse. But advocates say it appears targeted at the child welfare system, where it could have devastating effects, including keeping children from finding homes and even funneling them into the prison system.

“If you turn away a qualified, loving family that wants to open their home to a child, then you’re not placing a child,” Denise Brogan-Kator, chief policy officer of Family Equality, a group that advocates for the rights of LGBTQ families, told Vox.

Because the change is broad, it would also allow programs to discriminate on the basis of religion — for example, by refusing to allow non-Christian couples to adopt or foster children. It could also allow foster care agencies to refuse to take in gay or trans youth.

The move, which the Trump administration says is necessary to protect religious freedom, is part of a long list of actions the administration has taken to strip anti-discrimination protections from LGBTQ Americans. Earlier this year, the Supreme Court allowed the president’s ban on trans people serving in the military to go into effect. Also this year, the Trump administration finalized a rule allowing providers to refuse to offer transition-related care if it violates their religious beliefs (though a federal judge struck that rule down on Wednesday).

BTW does this mean I can start an adoption agency that turns away white evangelicals?
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#186 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10264 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:44 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 07 November 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

Jack didn't make the slope; he just pointed it out!

And then dragged us over to look at it and pushed us onto it.
— Nate Silver

#187 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10264 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:45 PM

View PostLFC, on 07 November 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

BTW does this mean I can start an adoption agency that turns away white evangelicals?

No.

Because reasons, that's why!
— Nate Silver

#188 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:13 PM

I don't think I pushed you; I think you jumped.

#189 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31001 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

Rick Perry isn't just stupid.

Outgoing Energy Secretary Rick Perry believes President Trump has a higher calling.

During a preview of an interview aired on “Fox and Friends” Sunday, Perry said that he told Trump that he was God’s “chosen one” — a phrase that he appeared to borrow from a boast the President once made of himself.

Last August, Trump drew backlash for saying that he was the “chosen one” meant to fix the U.S. economy and trade relations during an impromptu gaggle with reporters. Trump’s remarks came just hours after he tweeted a conspiracist’s quote about him being the “King of Israel” and the “second coming of God.” The President soon after said it was “fake news” that anyone took his remarks seriously.

“God’s used imperfect people all through history. King David wasn’t perfect. Saul wasn’t perfect. Solomon wasn’t perfect,” Perry said.

Perry then recalled what led him to tell Trump that he was “the chosen one.”

“And I actually gave the President a little one pager on those Old Testament kings about a month ago and I shared it with him,” Perry said. “I said, ‘Mr. President, I know there are people that say you said you were the chosen one and I said, ‘You were.’”

Perry added that he told Trump that “if you’re a believing Christian, you understand God’s plan for the people who rule and judge over us on this planet in our government.”

Last month, it was reported that Perry eyed his resignation in the wake of getting roped into the Ukraine scandal, which involved Perry and Rudy Giuliani reportedly wielding their influence in Ukraine’s natural gas sector. Soon after, Perry was also subpoenaed as part of the House’s ongoing impeachment inquiry.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#190 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31001 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:16 PM

William Barr has now given two infamous speeches, the last one to the Federalist Society particularly ranting and dangerous, where he screeched about how the liberals were trying destroy America. He's doing nothing less than attempting to further the American divide and create political civil war. The Republicans are dropping in popularity and they have nothing in the tank other than repeatedly agitating their side while attempting to obstruct the other side from voting. They are not real Americans.

An op-ed in the NY Times gives a really good analysis of Barr's lies. The author is much gentler than that but the fact is that (much like in the Mueller report) Barr ignores reality and pushes baseless opinions and outright falsehoods. After laying out a number of facts that simply fly in the face of the right-wing's accusations of liberals wanting to destroy society (Dreher is constantly on the same train) the author summarizes:

While there has been some willingness by liberals to come to terms with aspects of the conservative critique, the same cannot be said for the social issue right.

Patrick Deneen, whose book received near unanimous praise from conservative critics, defines the “culture war” that has characterized recent decades, and which seems to grow more virulent daily, in implacable terms: “Democracy, in fact, cannot ultimately function in a liberal regime.”

Barr, in turn, argues that

in the Framers’ view, free government was only suitable and sustainable for a religious people — a people who recognized that there was a transcendent moral order antecedent to both the state and man-made law and who had the discipline to control themselves according to those enduring principles.

The secular left, in Barr’s view, is at war with what he views as a decent America:

This is not decay; it is organized destruction. Secularists, and their allies among the “progressives,” have marshaled all the force of mass communications, popular culture, the entertainment industry, and academia in an unremitting assault on religion and traditional values.

The reality is that Barr is not only selling traditional values to conservative voters, some of whom are genuinely starved for them, he is also marketing apocalyptic hogwash because, for his boss to get re-elected, Trump’s supporters must continue to believe that liberals and the Democratic Party are the embodiment of evil, determined to destroy the American way of life.

Relentless pressure to maintain the urgency of that threat is crucial to Trump’s political survival. It is embedded in the president’s rhetoric, core to his manic ambition and essential to his re-election strategy. The unanswered question is whether it is necessary not only to bolster Trump’s at once inflated and fragile ego, but also for the continued competitive strength of the Republican Party. Based on the evidence before us now, it certainly seems that it is.

Yep, and "relentless pressure to maintain the urgency of that threat is crucial to" the business plans of the entire right-wing noise machine. They support each other and the result is an fetid immoral stew of lies and outrage. Each successive generation sees this clearly with their own eyes but yeah, it's the liberals that are destroying religion.

#191 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2268 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

Right. The world of religion was so moral before the advent of secularism.

And, when and wherefrom this transcendental morality arise? A few thousand years ago? Whenever I hear these reflexively silly arguments I'm reminded of Hitchen's retort:

https://youtu.be/MQox1hQrABQ

#192 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:13 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 07 November 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

And then dragged us over to look at it and pushed us onto it.

And then sued us!

OK, I'm late to the party.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users