#61 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7813 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:41 PM

https://www.nbcnews....mestic-n1013796

Tennessee DA under fire for saying he won't enforce domestic violence law for gays

In a video from 2018, Craig Northcott said of same-sex domestic violence cases: "There's no marriage to protect, so I don't prosecute them."

In a video filmed in 2018, Northcott faced a question from a constituent who asked about a “hypothetical” situation in which the federal government were to do something "ridiculous" and legalize same-sex marriage, which happened in 2015: “How as Christians do you think we should deal with all those situations?”

Northcott responded that “five people in black dresses rule us — it just takes five votes, it doesn’t take all nine,” referring to the five-justice majority that ruled in favor of gay marriage in 2015.

“DAs have what’s called prosecutorial discretion. Y’all need to know who your DA is. Y’all give us a lot of authority whether you know it or not," Northcott said. “We can choose to prosecute anything, we can choose not to prosecute anything, up to and including murder,” he said. “It’s our choice, unfettered.”

“So, to deal with that, you elect a good Christian man as DA, and you’ll make sure at least they don’t get prosecuted criminally,” Northcott said. He then transitioned: “Y’all know what assault is?”

Tennessee DA under fire for saying he won't enforce domestic violence law for gays
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#62 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4780 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

So if you don't like your DA, just gun them down?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#63 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9426 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:08 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 04 June 2019 - 07:48 PM, said:

So if you don't like your DA, just gun them down?

I don't think poison qualifies as a Second Amendment Solution to tyranny.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#64 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4780 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:14 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 04 June 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

I don't think poison qualifies as a Second Amendment Solution to tyranny.

Aw, come on! Why wouldn't biological warfare count as "arms"?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#65 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9426 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:36 PM

Because it doesn't bear even a slight resemblance to a penis.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#66 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3649 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:37 PM

What if it's delivered via syringe?

Or a tranquilizer gun?
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#67 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:30 AM

This is the kind of evil that make the Evangelicals touch themselves, though they feel guilty about it later. (The touching, not the attacks on children.)

Nearly two dozen Democratic U.S. senators, including three presidential candidates, have added their names to a letter calling on Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to immediately reverse a State Department policy that withholds American citizenship from some children of U.S. citizens who are born abroad.

The letter, led by Sens. Jeff Merkley of Oregon and Kamala Harris of California, calls the policy “a thinly veiled attack on LGBTQ Americans whose children are conceived through the use of egg donors and gestational surrogacy.”

“Your Department’s reinterpretation of immigration law to deny the constitutional right of citizenship to the children of same-sex couples who are born outside the United States is extraordinary and deeply disturbing,” the letter states. The letter’s 19 signatories urge Pompeo to immediately drop the State Department’s appeal of a court ruling striking down the policy, “and make it clear that every U.S. married couple is entitled to the same rights under the U.S. Constitution, no matter whom they love.”

In addition to Merkley and Harris, the letter was signed by Sens. Ed Markey (D-MA), Chris Murphy (D-CT), Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV), Tom Udall (D-NM), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Jacky Rosen (D-NV), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Chris Coons (D-DE), Cory Booker (D-NJ), Maggie Hassan (D-NH), Bob Casey (D-PA), Tim Kaine (D-VA), and Ron Wyden (D-OR).

The policy in question changes the State Department’s interpretation of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), a 1952 law that codifies eligibility for U.S. birthright citizenship. Under the policy, children born abroad via assisted reproductive technology like gestational surrogacy or sperm donation are considered to have been born “out of wedlock,” even if their parents are legally married U.S. citizens.

“Out of wedlock” births abroad face a bevy of legal and logistical hurdles to gaining birthright American citizenship, and the policy has led to numerous instances of the children of U.S. citizens being effectively turned away at the border.

“They basically take our marriage, and they say ‘It doesn’t mean anything. Your child was born out of wedlock,’” Adiel Kiviti, whose three-month-old daughter was born with the help of an egg donor and a gestational surrogate in Canada, told The Daily Beast last month. “We were there when she was born, she took her first breaths in our arms. Make no mistake: We are her parents—we are her only parents on her only birth certificate.”

“This is a very clear attack on families, on American families,” his husband Roee, who married Adiel in California in 2013, said at the time. “Denying American married couples their rights to pass their citizenship, that is flat-out discrimination, and everyone should be concerned about this.”

Two same-sex couples have sued the State Department over the policy, which they say disproportionately affects LGBT families, who stick out when seeking government documents that recognize the birthright citizenship of children born abroad.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#68 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7813 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

“Your Department’s reinterpretation of immigration law to deny the constitutional right of citizenship to the children of same-sex couples who are born outside the United States is extraordinary and deeply disturbing,”

Shrug... Just as the Tennessee DA above stated, gays are not legally married in his god-fearing eyes, so the law does not have to be enforced.

Just goes to show who the real perverts are.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#69 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:54 PM

The sickness continues to be abetted by this administration. Want to know why younger people are turning away from religion? This is the reason. No, it's not culture or society. They are looking into the empty cruelty of these people and are horrified by what they see.

The Trump administration’s Dept. of Health and Human Services (HHS) is facing two separate lawsuits just filed by the ACLU and by Planned Parenthood. The filings seek to strike down a new policy that would give people of faith special religious rights to discriminate, especially against LGBT people and women.

The new policy, slated to go into effect July 22, would provide “conscience protections” to health care workers and professionals. Those protections would allow, say, a doctor to not perform an abortion, even to save the life of a mother. They would allow, for example, a physician or nurse practitioner to reject a gay man on the grounds his very being violates their religious beliefs.

Courthouse News’ Adam Klasfeld posted a portion of the lawsuit which says the Refusal of Care Rule would “allow almost any health care provider – including hospitals or individual workers in the health care setting … to refuse to provide, assist with, or refer for virtually any health service, based solely on a personal objection.”

The rule would also make it legal to withhold information from patients, and without telling them.

The new HHS rule is merely the extension of a Trump administration plan to decimate the rights of women and minorities, under the guise of religious freedom. It is being enacted by Roger Severino (photo), a far right wing religious extremist who now heads HHS’s Office for Civil Rights.

News about the new rule first leaked in April.

“Patients want doctors who match their values,” Severino said, defending the proposed rule weeks later.

Severino once served as the CEO and counsel for the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, a far right wing religious legal organization. He also worked for The Heritage Foundation, and for the DeVos Center for Religion and Civil Society. The Human Rights Campaign has called him a “radical anti-LGBTQ activist.”

In early 2018 Severino created the Conscience and Religious Freedom Division in HHS’s Office of Civil Rights, in order to prioritize supposed cases of anti-religious discrimination among medical professionals.

“Severino is a defender of the discredited practice of conversion therapy, argued transgender service members ‘dishonors’ the military, and insisted that anti-LGBTQ discrimination is ‘based not on any sort of hatred but, in fact, out of love,'” GLAAD said in a statement at the time.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#70 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3649 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:19 AM

"The devil will quote scripture for his purposes."
~Shakespeare
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#71 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27887 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

I read a comment about this story last night (before I heard the actual story) where somebody noted that we now live in a society where it is illegal to give a water to a child dying of thirst. This mistreatment (murder, really) of desperate immigrants doesn't raise a peep of protest out of the right-wing Christianists. Imagine their reaction if they were Christians fleeing a collapsed nation and being treated this way by, say, Iran.

A federal judge on Tuesday declared a mistrial in the case of Scott Warren, an Arizona-based geographer who was charged with three felonies — two counts of harboring and one count of conspiring to transport undocumented people — after he offered two migrants food, water and temporary shelter.

“No Más Muertes,” or “No More Deaths,” the aide group with which the 36-year-old volunteers, celebrated the outcome.

BREAKING: HUNG JURY in the #ScottWarren case. After 15+ hours of deliberation, a hung jury was officially declared, demonstrating that there are Arizonans standing their ground for justice and kindness in a historic moment.

— No More Deaths (@NoMoreDeaths) June 11, 2019

Had he been found guilty, Warren would have faced up to 20 years in prison.

Warren’s prosecution was itself unusual. He was arrested just hours after No More Deaths released a compilation video of Border Patrol agents kicking over and emptying water bottles that volunteers had left for migrants in the desert borderlands, where thousands have died over the years. That fact was not allowed at trial, No More Deaths noted.

Reading from a statement outside the courthouse Tuesday, Warren pitted volunteers’ aide work in the desert against the Trump administration’s crackdown on migrants.

“Since my arrest in January of 2018, at least 88 bodies were recovered from the Ajo corridor of the Arizona desert. We know that’s a minimum number and that many more are out there and have not been found,” he said. “The government’s plan in the midst of this humanitarian crisis? Policies to target undocumented people, refugees and their families, prosecutions to criminalize humanitarian aide, kindness and solidarity. And now, where I live, the revelation that they will build an enormous and expensive wall across a vast stretch of southwestern Arizona’s unbroken Sonoran Desert.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users