Comey

25 replies to this topic

#1 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

Is there any merit in the thinking Comey and Trump colluded on Hillary's email?

'

#2 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1080 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:47 PM

Probably not; more likely that Comey's ego led him astray. Bill Clinton's chat with Attorney General Lynch didn't help.

#3 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8869 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

I think Comey has always been a straight shooter and believes all the things he says he believes. People make the wrong decisions for the right reasons all the time and I think he did that once or twice.

#4 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12012 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:10 AM

I'll give you that. But still doesn't excuse the moves made. Including the book now.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#5 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4673 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

I suspect Comey sees himself as a truth teller. He seems to tell his truths at times when he will get a lot of publicity for what he says.

#6 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8869 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:41 AM

I'm not sure what I think of the book yet. If your integrity is important to you, do you just take the crap the people pump out about you or do you defend yourself? In the FBI, Comey had to just sit back and take it because being nonpolitical is part of the job. After being in that environment for so long, behind a carefully constructed mask and avoiding pretty much ever saying what you really think, to have an ignoble end at the hands of a piece of crap like Trump must be maddening. I don't know how I would react.

On the other hand, I could never be an FBI person, so it's not a question I'd ever have to deal with.

#7 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

Say Comey : is there any more information you could supply on Hillary's email ?

#8 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1080 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:31 PM

How about how it's different than Colin Powell's?

#9 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4673 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:22 PM

View Postindy, on 15 April 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

I'm not sure what I think of the book yet. If your integrity is important to you, do you just take the crap the people pump out about you or do you defend yourself? In the FBI, Comey had to just sit back and take it because being nonpolitical is part of the job. After being in that environment for so long, behind a carefully constructed mask and avoiding pretty much ever saying what you really think, to have an ignoble end at the hands of a piece of crap like Trump must be maddening. I don't know how I would react.

On the other hand, I could never be an FBI person, so it's not a question I'd ever have to deal with.

It's Comey's timing that I question, not the writing of the book. My thought is that he should have waited until the Russian investigation is over. His part in all of that might come clear as a result of the investigation. I think it would more satisfying to be vindicated by a formal investigation than it would be to add to the circus of this moment.

#10 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

The timing of Comey's announcement was utterly crucial!
Comey must have known what the effect of his announcement
would be. Why did he care? Trump and he had an off and on
relationship and perhaps on the on part emails were suggested.
Colin Powell was a Token person and was treated as such unfortunately.

#11 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22510 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

This is what meltdown looks like.

President Donald Trump dismissed former FBI Director James Comey’s attacks on Monday by claiming Comey and former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe had “committed many crimes!”

In his tweet, Trump was likely referencing Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), and Comey’s May 2017 testimony when he told Grassley that he had never been an anonymous source to the news media. Trump has called out Comey for this incident before, like after McCabe released a statement last month, claiming that Comey knew that McCabe had authorized an agent to speak anonymously to a reporter in 2016.

However, during the Senate hearing in May, Grassley asked if Comey had ever been an anonymous source or authorized someone else to do the same, not if Comey knew anyone else who had been an anonymous source, as Trump argued.

Trump attempted on Monday to discredit Comey by aligning him with his ongoing narrative of attacks on the FBI for having — as he perceives it — a bias against him. Trump has attacked McCabe repeatedly in the past and claims McCabe had an anti-Trump bias in his handling of the investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server. McCabe was fired last month just hours before he was set to retire from the FBI following a report from the Justice Department’s inspector general, which reportedly claimed a lack of candor on McCabe’s part.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#12 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22510 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

In the aftermath Kellyanne Conway accidentally told the truth. Yeah, it happens sometimes. Of course she tried to talk it back later.

White House counselor Kellyanne Conway said Monday morning that former FBI Director James Comey changed the outcome of the 2016 election with his announcement about Hillary Clinton’s emails.

“This guy swung an election,” Conway said to ABC’s George Stephanopoulos. “He thought the wrong person would win.”

She tried to walk the comment back in a later appearance on CNN, telling Chris Cuomo that Clinton was already set to lose the election and that Comey’s announcement had no bearing on her doomed campaign.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#13 Joanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

I believe Comey's integrity. I think he made a wrong judgement that day. Why, I have no idea....

#14 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22510 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

View PostLFC, on 16 April 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

In the aftermath Kellyanne Conway accidentally told the truth. Yeah, it happens sometimes. Of course she tried to talk it back later.

Now she says she was just joking. [slow head shake]

Meanwhile Trump's meltdown directed at Comey continues.

On Friday, President Donald Trump met with White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, her talking points and briefing materials in hand, in the Oval Office ahead of one of her routine televised press briefings.

During the meeting, the president, according to two people familiar with Friday’s briefing prep, encouraged his spokeswoman to get tough on fired FBI Director James Comey—as a leaker, a fraud, and just another Trump-bashing self-promoter—when she went on TV later that day.

“The president wanted her to rip him apart,” one West Wing official with knowledge of the meeting told The Daily Beast.

Sanders did not disappoint her boss.

“The American people see right through the blatant lies of a self-admitted leaker,” she said in the briefing room on Friday afternoon, dragging Comey’s new book and tour as a “poorly executed PR stunt” designed to make the former FBI chief money and boost his reputation.

#15 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22510 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

Meanwhile not everybody from the FBI are fans of Comey coming out like this. Apparently one view is that Trump being President lands firmly on Comey's shoulders due to a massive mistake and now he's cashing in on it. I guess not everybody working under him shared his own self-assessment.

James Comey’s first interview since President Trump fired him as director of the FBI has enraged his former agents, who deluged The Daily Beast with their disdain as they watched him tell his side of the story to George Stephanopoulos on Sunday night.

Seven current or former FBI agents and officials spoke throughout and immediately after the broadcast. There was a lot of anger, frustration, and even more emojis—featuring the thumbs-down, frowny face, middle finger, and a whole lot of green vomit faces.

One former FBI official sent a bourbon emoji as it began; another sent the beers cheers-ing emoji. The responses became increasingly angry and despondent as the hourlong interview played out.

“Hoover is spinning in his grave,” said a former FBI official. “Making money from total failure.”

When a promo aired between segments announcing Comey’s upcoming interview with The View, the official grew angrier.

“Good lord, what a self-serving self-centered jackass,” the official said. “True to form he thinks he’s the smartest guy around.”

A current FBI official said it was bizarre that Comey seemed so pleased with the whole episode. “It’s how happy he looked on TV while cashing in on the biggest mistake in history. His mistake,” they said. “Jim Comey made that mistake. We all just wonder what could have been and what we could’ve done to change it.”

There was one former official who spoke out in support of Comey, saying the former director had seemed honest and heartfelt. “I thought he was highly trustworthy and very transparent, like watching someone in confession,” the former official said. “It seems like he’s still wrestling with it.”

The six others who spoke to The Daily Beast did not respond positively to the interview by its end.

One longtime Team Comey source—who is still an FBI agent—sent thumbs-up emojis repeatedly during the first half hour, but even this loyalist began to lose patience by the halfway mark—sending a frowny face. A few minutes later there was a nauseous emoji, and then a poop emoji after the final segment.

Another former FBI official not historically known for their use of emojis, sent a bowing emjoi which—they explained in a follow up message—they believed to mean “slamming my head into something, obviously.”

An additional source, who works frequently with the FBI, said they had refused to watch the extended cut of the interview altogether. “Didn’t watch it—I don’t care, he’s basically a scumbag. I don’t know how they’re letting him write a book in the middle of an investigation that he’s part of. I wonder if he had his book cleared by the intelligence community? He’s supposed to but I bet he didn’t.”

#16 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4673 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

Reporting based on emoji use in Twitter comments?

#17 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22510 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 16 April 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

Reporting based on emoji use in Twitter comments?

I found that amusing too. Junior journalist? Or am I just getting really old?

#18 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22510 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:16 PM

This piece resurrects the hard-right group of FBI employees that caused trouble before and the possible expectation that the story would leak anyway. Nate Silver isn't really buying it.

Nate Silver, who has previously written that the Comey letter “probably cost Hillary the election,” discussed this idea on Twitter tonight.

In analyzing the Comey’s interview with George Stephanopoulos, the polling analytics expert seized on section about the details of the investigation into disgraced Rep. Anthony Weiner, estranged husband of Hillary’s closet aide, who was being investigated for sexting with a teenager.

Comey said that he feared “a pretty reasonable likelihood” that Clinton emails being discovered on Weiner’s computer would get to the press through the New York office.

“The team that had done the investigation was in the counterintelligence division at headquarters, of the emails,” Comey said. “And there were no leaks at all, very tight. But the criminal folks in New York were now involved in a major way—and I don’t want to single anybody out ’cause I don’t know where it was coming from, but there’d been enough up there that I thought there was a pretty reasonable likelihood that it would leak.”

It all comes down to an understanding of the nature of the office, Comey said: “Counterintelligence is different. They’re so used to operating in a classified environment. They’re much tighter. But once you start involving people whose tradition is criminal, and in New York which has a different culture, there is a reasonable likelihood it was going to get out anyway.”

Silver was not fully convinced, pointing out that Comey likely could have bought his team a weekend to look over the emails on Weiner’s computer before dropping such a bombshell just before the election.

“Comey claims he faced an impossible choice between ‘concealing’ and ‘speaking’ about the HRC emails found on Weiner’s laptop. But there was a 3rd choice: wait & investigate further. He only learned about the emails on Oct. 27—one day before he spoke about them on Oct. 28,” Silver tweeted. “I’m not saying he should have waited until after the election. But 10/28 was a Friday. So have everyone cancel their weekend plans and dive into the emails. Then make a go/no-go decision on Sunday night based on whether there’s anything new and proprietary there.”

#19 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7531 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:16 PM

A current FBI official said it was bizarre that Comey seemed so pleased with the whole episode.“It’s how happy he looked on TV while cashing in on the biggest mistake in history. His mistake,” they said. “Jim Comey made that mistake. We all just wonder what could have been and what we could’ve done to change it.”

The damage. The horror.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#20 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22510 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

Trump lies. In other news water is wet.

President Donald Trump on Wednesday morning claimed that he did not fire James Comey as FBI director over his handling of the Russia investigation, even though the President admitted as much last year.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Slippery James Comey, the worst FBI Director in history, was not fired because of the phony Russia investigation where, by the way, there was NO COLLUSION (except by the Dems)!

Trump’s tweet contradicts comments he made to NBC’s Lester Holt in May of last year. The President said he was thinking about the Russia investigation when he decided to fire Comey and said he would have fired the FBI director regardless of any recommendation from the Justice Department.

“And in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story, it’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won,” Trump told NBC at the time. “This was an excuse for having lost an election.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users