4 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

Elon admitted that they charged too hard into automation. Just because robots can do many of the tasks humans can doesn't mean you get to skip setting up an efficient assembly line.

Elon Musk says Tesla relied on too many robots to build the Model 3, which is partly to blame for the delays in manufacturing the crucial mass-market electric car. In an interview with CBS Good Morning, Musk agreed with Tesla’s critics that there was over-reliance on automation and too few human assembly line workers building the Model 3.

Earlier this month, Tesla announced that it had officially missed its goal of making 2,500 Model 3 vehicles a week by the end of the first financial quarter of this year. It will start the second quarter making just 2,000 Model 3s per week, but the company says it still believes it can get to a rate of 5,000 Model 3s per week at the midway point of 2018.

Previously, Tesla has blamed bottlenecks in the production of the Model 3’s batteries at the company’s Gigafactory for the delays. But in a wide-ranging (and largely positive) interview with CBS’s Gayle King, Musk also admits it was Tesla’s over-reliance on robots in the production.

Musk then said the company needs more people working in the factory and that automation slowed the Model 3 production process. He alluded to a “crazy, complex network of conveyor belts” the company had previously used and said the company eliminated it after it became clear it wasn’t working.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

Musk is proving himself to be more of a technologist and promoter than somebody who can spin up a manufacturing business.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s attacks against “sanctimonious journalists” and “divisive” unions have captured the public’s attention in recent weeks, but Musk has bigger problems on his hands: His automaker has struggled to deliver on the promise of a mass-market fully electric car, the Model 3 sedan.

When Musk delivered the first Model 3s last year, he jokingly warned customers and employees that the firm would be entering “production hell.”

But according to several former Tesla insiders, it’s not a joke.

Cars built by hand, fires that turned a paint sprayer into a flamethrower, rampant quality problems, and a bloated workforce plague the factory, the insiders say. That’s on top of an injury rate that Reveal News reports is higher than the industry average, with shocking examples. These interconnected symptoms of Tesla’s “production hell” raise questions about the company’s entire approach to manufacturing, which diverges significantly from the auto industry’s practices that have been honed over decades.

The sources requested anonymity to speak because of Tesla’s history of trying to catch leakers, including once reportedly leaving a “fingerprint” in memos to find who divulged them to the press.

I've seen this same flaw in multiple CEOs including companies I've worked for. They're all about pushing on the gas but seem to have no real interest (or perhaps ability) to ensure that the company behind them is prepared to keep up and remain functional much less efficient. That's always an afterthought maybe because it's a hell of a lot harder to do than come up with some idea and run around selling it. Efficiently organizing thousands or even hundreds (or even dozens) of people to achieve the goals you've set is hard f***ing work. It's so much easier to just toss it downstream and say "DO IT!"
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 DCoronata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

Read about this roughly a month ago...
Elon, if you really need my help, I'm available but I won't come cheap. But you probably wouldn't like me very much because I believe in rigorously documented procedures, intensive testing before attempting regulatory compliance, and I believe that you must have well defined testing goals and equipment and people trained how to use them.

You know, "people".
Ambassador Spock: "There's an old Vulcan proverb, that only Nixon could go to China, and only Trump could screw up North Korea."

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
“Do you believe we can trust you rabble with a Republic?"

#4 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4857 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

View PostDCoronata, on 05 June 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

Read about this roughly a month ago...
Elon, if you really need my help, I'm available but I won't come cheap. But you probably wouldn't like me very much because I believe in rigorously documented procedures, intensive testing before attempting regulatory compliance, and I believe that you must have well defined testing goals and equipment and people trained how to use them.

You know, "people".

The genius types don't really like to deal with people. Robots don't offer differing opinions

#5 DCoronata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 05 June 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

The genius types don't really like to deal with people. Robots don't offer differing opinions
In the early 1990s, Frank Zappa started giving concerts of his neo-classical music without any performers at all, just pre-programmed synclaviers.

Some of his music was insanely complicated to perform, and he was having difficulties with getting just perfect performances, but he also appreciated that it was indeed the mistakes and the spontaneity that made live performance special. So he quickly abandoned it and went back to humans.
Ambassador Spock: "There's an old Vulcan proverb, that only Nixon could go to China, and only Trump could screw up North Korea."

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
“Do you believe we can trust you rabble with a Republic?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users