13 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

This short video makes it abundantly clear what they are doing and it is "extremely dangerous to our democracy."

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:05 AM

CNN ran a story that local journalists aren't happy being forced to be right-wing mouthpieces.

The must-run segment alleges that “some media outlets” publish reporting “without checking facts first.”

Another unnamed local reporter told CNN: “I try everyday to do fair, local stories, some Trump-related, but it’s always washed out by this stuff they do at a national level.”

“As a producer who finds it unethical, I will refuse to run it,” another unnamed Sinclair employee told the network, though CNN noted it was unclear whether any of Sinclair’s stations — the company owns more stations than any other broadcaster in the United States — had actually refused to run the segment.

The stations were instructed to run the segment often, and during “news time, not commercial time,” according to internal documents reported by CNN in early March. Sinclair owns more television stations than any other broadcaster in the country. On Monday, the company could claim the support of a powerful friend: President Donald Trump, some of whose former advisers now work for Sinclair, and who tweeted in support of the broadcaster.

The Los Angeles Times’ Matt Pearce published an exchange he had with an unnamed Sinclair employee who described conditions that, in Pearce’s words, make it “so hard for TV anchors to refuse the Sinclair’s editorial edicts.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

An ex-Sinclair news director said that this forced propaganda has been going on for years but this latest example is really awful. His description of the videos that were dug up and played together is stellar.

A former news director for a Sinclair-owned TV station in the Midwest said this week that the “must-run” promotions — like the one that went viral featuring local anchors denouncing fake news — have been commonplace for years.

But the infamous “one-sided news stories” script was the worst example the 14-year local news producer has seen. The producer, Aaron Weiss, told CNN on Wednesday that the videos were “equivalent to a proof-of-life hostage video.”

“My heart broke, my heart broke for the anchors who were forced to do that,” Weiss told the network, after publishing an op-ed about Sinclair in The Huffington Post on Monday.

“I know several of them and as someone who grew up in the local news business — my mom was an anchor in Tucson, Arizona for 30 years and I imagined if she had been forced to do something like that when I was a kid and forced to make a decision about their ethics versus feeding her family and keeping her job in a business she loves,” he said. “I couldn’t imagine doing it and so my heart goes out to all those anchors who were basically forced to do the equivalent of a proof of life hostage video.”

Apparently Sinclair has a tight grip on their serfs.

“They have successfully locked down the company where anyone inside — we have seen some memos that have been leaked threatening anyone who dares to speak out to anyone publicly about this,” he told CNN.

#4 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4771 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

It looks like Sinclair demands a lot of employees who seek to leave employment before the contract term is up.

...According to copies of two employment contracts reviewed by Bloomberg, some Sinclair employees were subject to a liquidated damages clause for leaving before the term of their agreement was up: one that requires they pay as much as 40 percent of their annual compensation to the company.

While they were also subject to a six-month noncompete clause and forced arbitration, three current and former Sinclair employees said it was the potential financial penalty that had the greatest impact on those thinking of quitting. Under the clause, there’s a specific window of time during which employees can give notice. One current employee who requested anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak publicly said the clause’s limitations are the reason he hasn’t quit. A former employee who also requested anonymity said both the noncompete and the damages clause dissuaded her at first from looking for work elsewhere.

#5 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

It's time to boycott Sinclair's propaganda machine
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#6 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:19 PM

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#7 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostLFC, on 04 April 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

An ex-Sinclair news director said that this forced propaganda has been going on for years but this latest example is really awful. His description of the videos that were dug up and played together is stellar.

Apparently Sinclair has a tight grip on their serfs.

FBI raids to freethe hostages seem called for.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

Some Republicans are kind of freaking out about throwing away the rules so that Sinclair can gobble up local TV stations. Why? Nine letters; ABC, NBC, CBS. Tom DeLay's comment (my bold) is funny in a pathetic, hypocritical kind of way.

The Donald Trump-backing Sinclair Broadcast Group’s pending $3.9 billion acquisition of Tribune Media, creating a local television station cartel of unprecedented power and reach, has triggered a mind-meld of liberals and conservatives that would otherwise have been unthinkable in the present era of polarized politics.

The result is a possibly heartening (and, let’s face it, bizarre) alliance between the usual suspects—that is, left-leaning public interest groups and elected Democrats who’d be expected to oppose any such merger—and right-leaning media outlets such as Christopher Ruddy’s Newsmax, the San Diego-based Herring family’s One America News, Glenn Beck’s The Blaze, and even the hard-right former House Republican Majority Leader, Tom “The Hammer” DeLay.

“Don’t get me wrong: I appreciate the conservative perspective of Sinclair, and support its First Amendment right to espouse its views,” DeLay wrote in a recent Politico op-ed titled “Why Trump Should Block the Sinclair Merger.”

This would be a highly unlikely outcome given the president’s recent tweet: “So funny to watch Fake News Networks, among the most dishonest groups of people I have ever dealt with, criticize Sinclair Broadcasting for being biased. Sinclair is far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke.”

Still, DeLay added, “This transaction would set a terrible precedent by opening the door for ABC, CBS, and NBC to also buy many more TV stations. At that point, nothing can stop liberal Northeast corporate executives from telling homes in the heartland what to think.”

Merger opponent Ruddy, meanwhile, told The Daily Beast: “It’s going to give them enormous reach—70 percent of the country—and it’s going to dwarf anything else in scale that’s on cable news or any of the major TV networks right now. And it’s a danger to not only liberals but also to Republicans and conservatives.

"Trump campaigned against media concentration of power—that was his line. OK, Sinclair is favorable to Trump, but now you’re going to have three or four A-level competitors like NBC, ABC and CBS that are going to be doing it, and it will be very bad and dangerous for everyone.”

DeLay's choice of words is very interesting. He didn't say they'd be pushing fake stories at these people he said "tell them what to think." No wonder he's scared. Everybody knows that's the job of the right-wing media!

#9 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:11 PM

Jeff Bezos should announce that he's planning to buy a couple hundred TV stations. That will create a priceless reaction from Trump.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#10 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 13 April 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

Jeff Bezos should announce that he's planning to buy a couple hundred TV stations. That will create a priceless reaction from Trump.

Posted Image

#11 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11736 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:14 PM

View PostLFC, on 13 April 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

Some Republicans are kind of freaking out about throwing away the rules so that Sinclair can gobble up local TV stations. Why? Nine letters; ABC, NBC, CBS. Tom DeLay's comment (my bold) is funny in a pathetic, hypocritical kind of way.

Still, DeLay added, “This transaction would set a terrible precedent by opening the door for ABC, CBS, and NBC to also buy many more TV stations. At that point, nothing can stop liberal Northeast corporate executives from telling homes in the heartland what to think.”

DeLay's choice of words is very interesting. He didn't say they'd be pushing fake stories at these people he said "tell them what to think." No wonder he's scared. Everybody knows that's the job of the right-wing media!

Roger Ailes in his"A Plan For Putting the GOP on TV News" Nixon White House Memo said:

just sit—watch—listen. The thinking is done for you.

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#12 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4177 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

There used to be a saying that I heard from my mom: "Life is for people who can't read. Time is for people who can't think." (they were both published by the same company.

Guess the second part is now the purview of Fox News and Sinclair.

#13 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1093 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 13 April 2018 - 10:24 PM, said:

There used to be a saying that I heard from my mom: "Life is for people who can't read. Time is for people who can't think." (they were both published by the same company.
So a Time-Life book about the Dumpster presidency would be fitting as a coffee table piece. Lots of pictures!
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#14 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23027 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

Tribune pulls out of potential deal with Sinclair. Good!

Tribune withdrew from its $3.9 billion buyout by Sinclair, ending a bid to create a massive media juggernaut that could have rivaled the reach of Fox News.

Tribune Media Co., which is on the hook for a $135 million breakup fee, said Thursday that it is filing a lawsuit against Sinclair, citing breach of contract.

Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. wanted the Chicago company’s 42 TV stations and had agreed to dump almost two dozen of its own to score approval by the Federal Communications Commission. The media company which has enjoyed the support of President Donald Trump, appeared to be cruising toward approval by U.S. regulators.

Last month, however, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said that he had “serious concerns” about the deal, saying that Sinclair might still be able to operate the stations “in practice, even if not in name.”

Tribune, based in Chicago, claimed Thursday that Sinclair used “unnecessarily aggressive and protracted negotiations” with the Department of Justice and FCC over regulatory requirements and that it refused to sell the stations it needed to.

Sinclair operates 192 stations, runs 611 channels and operates in 89 U.S. markets. It would have been able to expand rapidly into numerous new markets with the Tribune acquisition.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users