66 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

RawStory has tracked her for years when most people never heard of what she did. She tried to clean things up when trying to resurrect her career but the fact is that she's basically Alex Jones with longer hair. And Trump loves her! The reboot of her show got excellent viewership but I wonder how this becoming news will impact her ratings.

Here are some of the craziest things she’s said. Bear in mind that many of these are now disappeared. Despite now being hailed as an anti-PC hero who rebelled against Hollywood, Barr deleted her Twitter after her crazy tweets started spurring a backlash that might have derailed her career. When she came back to Twitter, she promised to be apolitical.

It’s unclear whether her co-stars understood that they were signing up to be the poster children of Trump’s America. Co-star John Goodman was visibly uncomfortable when the pair appeared on Jimmy Kimmel together and Barr started getting political.

Here are a few of the items without details (they're in the article). She's a real piece of shhhhh ... work.

1. In 2011, Barr accused Rupert Murdoch and News Corp. of tapping her phones.

2. She cyberbullied an elderly couple who was getting death threats.

5. She’s spread insane conspiracy theories about Hillary and the Democratic party.

7. Barr has made transphobic remarks about bathrooms.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

Gotta wonder how viewers will treat this re-boot. The advance reviews had been somewhat favorable, even as they snarked about the workaround/explanation about how Dan Conner (John Goodman) could be alive in the re-boot when it was made plain in the series finale that he had died of a heart attack.

Although I didn't watch the original show much (this thing called "grad school" was uppermost at the time), IIRC much of the appeal was that the WWC family portrayed (snarly mom, piles of laundry on the floor, etc.) was the antithesis of the Huxtable/Seaver/Keaton professional upper-middle-class clans of the other '80s sitcoms (mom NEVER raised her voice, there wasn't a dirty dish or stray sock in sight). Overtly political? Don't remember either way.

From one article I read, the re-boot has no reticence about delving into political matters...perhaps echoing Archie et al. from 45 years ago? Difference is, everyone knew Carroll O'Connor was an actor playing a character; Roseanne Conner is simply Barr herself, somewhat re-imagined. Given her track record outside of the sitcom [1], the whole thing may well become grating after an episode or 2, once the old viewers have played "catch-up" with their "old friends."

Remember this: All the "Brady Bunch" successor series were categorical flops, despite the enduring popularity of the original '69-'74 series. IMO that tends to be the more likely outcome to "re-boots"/revivals of once-popular series -- "Fuller House" seems to be the glaring exception.

[1] Besides the stuff cited above, does anyone besides me recall her...um..."rendition" of the National Anthem at a baseball game way back when? You'd think the Trumpies would be all over that past transgression like stink on s white on rice.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#3 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7862 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:08 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 29 March 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

. From one article I read, the re-boot has no reticence about delving into political matters...perhaps echoing Archie et al. from 45 years ago? Difference is, everyone knew Carroll O'Connor was an actor playing a character; Roseanne Conner is simply Barr herself, somewhat re-imagined. Given her track record outside of the sitcom [1], the whole thing may well become grating after an episode or 2, once the old viewers have played "catch-up" with their "old friends."

I agree, and maybe we're wrong. Curiosity bumped the ratings, But there is a truism in entertainment- unless incredibly talented people write very deep stories, the novelty will wear thin, soon.It happens over and over again. And the agenda-driven conservatives- who produce very one-note, boring content- will scream that they're being blacklisted by Hollywood. Whine and complain that being a conservative means you can't get projects green lighted/produced, can't even be an actor. LOL. Exhibit A is Clint Eastwood. Exhibit B is Gary Sinise. Exhibit C? Gary Oldman, and his partner Doug Urbanski. Oscars, anybody? The last three? I've worked with. Fine folks, with real agendas- some of them very right wing- but also real talent- tell the stories.

The reality- and again, we'll see- but this program, it's writers and producers aren't anything close to "All in The Family". Norman Lear was a cultural genius, who had a ton of talent and the ability to subtly tell the story, within real entertainment.

Roseanne? I doubt it.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

#4 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8856 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:18 PM

Oh, I don't think Barr is an Alex Jones with long hair. She is just your typically confused and uninformed voter who substitutes prejudice and preconceived notions for any actual investigation into the facts. Except, of course, she has a bigger megaphone.

#5 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:38 PM

Barr was a common vulgar ignorant person who took her role in T.V. Unto life!

#6 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7517 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:19 PM

I watched a fair amount of the first few years of the Roseanne show, and found it funny. It was different (as someone above said) from the more sano situation comedies of the time. It was not political that I recall, nor really trying to make points as All in the Family did. It was more about surviving at the bottom. It's goal was to be funny, and often succeeded.

I happened on the new show on Hulu and watched it last night. It was far more political, but both sides were expressed with different characters. Going political IMO is a mistake. While Roseanne has never been a good actress, the first incarnation of the show survived that. This second coming was just plain awkward. I was interested to see the first episode... I am no longer curious. There was not enough there to see another episode.

As Roseanne herself said years ago - "I am your worst nightmare - trailer trash with money."
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#7 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

[1] Besides the stuff cited above, does anyone besides me recall her...um..."rendition" of the National Anthem at a baseball game way back when? You'd think the Trumpies would be all over that past transgression like stink on s white on rice.

Ooooooh, yeah.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#8 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

Roseanne is a Potty- mouth much like Trump's base!

#9 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3033 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:39 PM

Gotta wonder how viewers will treat this re-boot. The advance reviews had been somewhat favorable,

This program has now become a "third rail". If they cancel it because of bad ratings (which is the network's right), Ms Barr will get up and say its because she's a "conservative". So they will have to keep it on no matter what. (at least for one season)

However, based on the fact Pres Trump "likes" it, every Trump fan will be watching. I'm sure getting free ads from Fox and Friends and Hannity won't hurt either.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

#10 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

View Postandydp, on 31 March 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

This program has now become a "third rail". If they cancel it because of bad ratings (which is the network's right), Ms Barr will get up and say its because she's a "conservative". So they will have to keep it on no matter what. (at least for one season)

Dunno about that. One article I read indicated this re-boot was a “limited run” of 9 episodes. I suspect that’s CYA on the part of ABC —if it takes off, they can decide to renew for the future; if ratings drop off, it’s “oh, well, it was always intended to be a ‘limited run,’ so let’s all move on after the 9 episodes air.”
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#11 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7517 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

I did watch the first new episode, and although there were some political references (more than the original show), they were light and intended for humor. And 'both sides' were mentioned by different characters.

I did not know this was a 9 episode run. I did hear however that the show already been picked up for a second year due to the high ratings. I'd guess further ratings will fall however. It wasn't that funny, and perhaps others like myself feel caught up now.

#12 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4589 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

I remember enjoying the original show because it was a nice antidote to the upper middle class family shows of the time. I thought the family far more closely resembled families I grew up around with real issues with money and the kids. I dropped it later because, like many shows, it ran out of ideas.

I can see how that family could be the prototype for Trump supporters who've been "left behind" but I have no interest in seeing Roseanne Barr do anything. Once she became famous she became increasingly obnoxious. I'm not sure why John Goodman agreed to do this. He's shown he can do far more interesting work.

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

Roseanne seems to be slipping ... again.

Roseanne Barr on Tuesday morning went on a shocking Twitter tirade, describing former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett in a racist and Islamophobic manner, causing one of her show’s consulting producers to quit.

In a now-deleted tweet, Barr, currently starring in the ABC reboot of her ’90s working-class sitcom Roseanne, wrote: “muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,” referring to Jarrett, who is black and definitively not Muslim.

The racially charged comment came in response to another user tweeting an article from a conspiratorial right-wing outlet claiming Obama’s CIA “spied” on French presidential candidates, per a WikiLeaks tweet.

This wasn’t the first time Barr compared a black Democratic official to an ape. In 2013, she called Obama National Security Adviser Susan Rice “a man with big swinging ape balls.”

Amid the ensuing outrage, Barr—whose series reboot was renewed for a second season after just one episode—defended herself against charges of Islamophobia, writing, “ISLAM is not a RACE, lefties. Islam includes EVERY RACE of people,” and retweeting supportive commentary from similarly pro-Trump users.

Following the tirade, Roseanne consulting producer and stand-up comedian Wanda Sykes announced she will not return to the show.

The ordeal began Tuesday morning when Barr first took aim at right-wing bugaboos George Soros and the Clinton family. Barr falsely claimed Chelsea Clinton is married to Soros’ nephew, and then called her “Chelsea Soros Clinton,” to which Chelsea replied: “Good morning Roseanne - my given middle name is Victoria. I imagine George Soros’s nephews are lovely people. I’m just not married to one.”

#14 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7862 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

ABC just announced that they're cancelling her show. She didn't just skewer herself, but a lot of other people. Good riddance to bad trash.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

#15 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

View PostPractical Girl, on 29 May 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

ABC just announced that they're cancelling her show. She didn't just skewer herself, but a lot of other people. Good riddance to bad trash.

Posted Image

#16 DCoronata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

I'll never forget Trump's last minute advertising campaign where he said "Wall Street" in the guise of Soros, Blankfein and Yellen were all out to get us.

Yeah, I know who you really mean by that- The Venn diagram of racists and Antisemites is a bullseye, and Trump supporters pretty much encompass most of those people.
Ambassador Spock: "There's an old Vulcan proverb, that only Nixon could go to China, and only Trump could screw up North Korea."

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
“Do you believe we can trust you rabble with a Republic?"

#17 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7862 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

Speaking of Trump, how fast do you think he'll hire Roseanne as his WH Diversity director?
---Julia Child

#18 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2577 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

View PostDCoronata, on 29 May 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

I'll never forget Trump's last minute advertising campaign where he said "Wall Street" in the guise of Soros, Blankfein and Yellen were all out to get us.

Yeah, I know who you really mean by that- The Venn diagram of racists and Antisemites is a bullseye, and Trump supporters pretty much encompass most of those people.

I don't disagree with your larger point, as I believe anti-Semitism is just a specific form of racial prejudice and people prejudiced in one way are commonly prejudiced in all ways. However, regarding the Venn diagram thing I believe there is a subset of people (not super-large, but not negligible) who fall into a group discriminated against by others but who themselves are prejudiced against one or more other groups. Most (though not all) of this subset would still not be Trump supporters, so I make this point as a reminder that we cannot be too self-congratulatory. No sizable political faction is completely uncorrupted and not all racists are on the other side. Just most of them.

#19 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7517 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

Roseanne Barr
(@therealroseanne)

I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me-my joke was in bad taste.

Dear Roseanne, your comments were not delivered as a joke - you were serious. But your lame, self-serving, obligate apology is too late. (I'm sorry I got caught.) Buh-bye.

#20 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

Bill Maher recently had some things to say to Roseanne, somebody who he counts as a friend. He's completely baffled by her current Trumpsucking. As he yells at one point (around 2:20), "You're a socialist!" He then points out to her the viewpoints she's held for so long and why they don't have anything to do with Trump. I think that there's more than a small chance that Roseanne has fallen off the deep end and is in serious need of medication to get her back on track.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users