91 replies to this topic

#41 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5655 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:29 PM

The Supreme Court is just signaling the Commerce Department to use prettier, more disingenuous language to mask their intent. If Trump succeeds in delaying the Census, there is time for the Supreme Court to hear it again and not feel complicit in a violation of the Constitution.

#42 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

The prettier , more disingenuous language will have to communicate a non pretextual reason for the question and I would guess further discovery, such as depositions, would be allowed.

#43 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 02 July 2019 - 05:31 PM

The DOJ has announced it will accept the lower court ruling and print the questionnaires without the citizenship question. Maybe the DOJ realized they couldn't come up with a god faith reason.

#44 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5655 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

View PostJackD, on 02 July 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

The DOJ has announced it will accept the lower court ruling and print the questionnaires without the citizenship question. Maybe the DOJ realized they couldn't come up with a god faith reason.

The unearthed report of Hofeller, that said that a citizenship question on the census would aid in Republican gerrymandering, is probably hard to prettify enough to provide cover for the Roberts Court.

#45 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4825 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:33 PM

View PostJackD, on 02 July 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

Fantastic Freudian slip there!
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#46 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:36 PM

Yup, should have used a capital G.

#47 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28142 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

View PostJackD, on 02 July 2019 - 07:36 PM, said:

Yup, should have used a capital G.

And a ™ symbol.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#48 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28142 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:23 PM

Trump claims he's not backing down on the census despite the forms being greenlighted for printing without the citizenship question.

President Trump claimed he’s directed the Justice Department and the Department of Commerce to do “whatever necessary” to get the citizenship question on the 2020 census, just hours after the DOJ confirmed the question wouldn’t be on it.

A DOJ spokesperson confirmed to TPM on Tuesday that a version of the census without the citizenship question had been sent off to be printed.

Trump tweeted Tuesday evening that it was “very sad” that the Supreme Court wouldn’t allow the question and claimed his administration would do what it needed to do to bring this “most vital of questions and this important case to a successful conclusion.”

Later Wednesday morning, Trump insisted reports that his administration had backed down were “FAKE!”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#49 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5655 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

View PostLFC, on 03 July 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

Trump claims he's not backing down on the census despite the forms being greenlighted for printing without the citizenship question.

Trump hates to look like he backed down...even when he did.

#50 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:11 PM

Let's hope he doesn't change his mind out of embarrassment. He's been known to do that.

#51 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:08 PM

And lo and behold, the New York Times just reported that the DOJ wants to continue the case on orders from Der Fuhrer.

#52 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:03 AM

View PostJackD, on 03 July 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

And lo and behold, the New York Times just reported that the DOJ wants to continue the case on orders from Der Fuhrer.
Wheee
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

#53 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:16 PM

According to Dailykos today, Trump in an interview, positively stated that the citizenship question is needed for redistricting purposes. Let's see AJ Barr try to cover that up!

#54 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9557 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:38 AM

View PostJackD, on 05 July 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

According to Dailykos today, Trump in an interview, positively stated that the citizenship question is needed for redistricting purposes. Let's see AJ Barr try to cover that up!

Why? The Court will be fine with that, as long as the Administrative Procedures Act checklist is complete.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#55 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:55 AM

Well, if Chief Justice Roberts didn't like being lied to the first time, his reaction is unlikely to improve with repetition. Clearly, he could give Trump a pass as he eventually did in the Muslim Tavel ban case. I'm guessing in this case it will be too much to swallow the lie.

#56 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9557 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

It's one thing to be known to cover for a liar and a crook, but covering for a lying, crooked imbecile?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#57 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5655 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

View PostJackD, on 06 July 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

Well, if Chief Justice Roberts didn't like being lied to the first time, his reaction is unlikely to improve with repetition. Clearly, he could give Trump a pass as he eventually did in the Muslim Tavel ban case. I'm guessing in this case it will be too much to swallow the lie.

I wouldn't bet on it. Roberts just wants a letter of the law excuse.

#58 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:45 PM

You're right; I should have said I'm hoping in this case it will be too much to swallow the lie.

#59 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5655 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

Looks like a new set of DOJ lawyers is to work on the census case. Maybe the former set were losers? Or maybe they were not sufficiently enthusiastic about going forward with the Administrations plans. We won't know exactly why unless someone writes a book about it years from now.

#60 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28142 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:21 AM

For somebody who lies as easily as he breathes, he often doesn't recognize the right (i.e. most advantageous) time to lie.

Just wanted to be sure everyone saw the part of President Trump’s impromptu press conference where he said openly what his administration (both generally and specifically to the Supreme Court) has denied for months: that they want a citizenship question on the census to help with redistricting.

Trump on why he wants a citizenship question: "You need it for congress for districting, you need it for appropriations." Key point: The Solicitor General specifically this was not why they wanted a citizenship question. This is the real reason that they've been hiding. pic.twitter.com/K0FT5yYVAh

— Josh Marshall (@joshtpm) July 5, 2019

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users