#141 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7950 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:24 PM

View PostLFC, on 28 January 2021 - 01:13 PM, said:

The Trump f***-up of the census is going to put the states in a time squeeze.

I don't know about other states but in California there are Constitutional deadlines for having redistricting maps finalized. All of the deadlines are keyed on having Census data at the expected dates. California already adjusted as much of the timeline as they can within the Constitutional ones on the expectation that data would be ready at the end of April as was announced months and months ago. I don't know how much, if any, flexibility remains. This state of affairs will end up freezing the current district lines in place. In California there has been a lot of moving around so districts will not be representative of the people actually living in them.

#142 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5980 posts
  • LocationAn Anarchist Jurisdiction

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

View PostLFC, on 28 January 2021 - 01:13 PM, said:

The Trump f***-up of the census is going to put the states in a time squeeze.

Under what conditions can the Census be declared irreparably flawed and in need of a complete do-over?
"strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence"

#143 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2968 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:22 AM

I didn’t realize how far back the agitation about the citizenship question went.

https://www.npr.org/...ensus-obsession

Conner, FAIR's first executive director, recalls reading a 1979 newspaper article about that effort and says FAIR sued partly out of concern that including unauthorized immigrants in the apportionment counts would increase the political power of "institutions that would favor the perpetuation, the expansion of immigration."

Still, in a 1980 statement to the House Judiciary subcommittee on immigation, Conner wrote that while FAIR wants unauthorized immigrants excluded from apportionment, it also "supports and encourages a full and accurate counting of illegal immigrants in the 1980 Census."

[snip]

For Conner, FAIR's first executive director, it's long past time to end this fight.

More than four decades after helping to launch FAIR's campaign, Conner says he has since come to recognize the long ties many unauthorized immigrants have to the U.S.

"When you say 'we the people of the United States,' you have to include them," Conner says.

Now a woodworker based in Nashville, Tenn., Conner condemns the Trump administration's immigration enforcement for not focusing on deterring employers from hiring unauthorized workers.

"For this administration to take up the census lawsuit after they have subverted any effort to recognize the implicit invitation for immigrants to come undocumented to this country to work, to live," Conner says, "I can only understand it as a pure expression of racism and evil. And yet I have to own I took this same position 40 years ago."

FAIR, however, remains committed to changing who is counted in apportionment and obtaining numbers of unauthorized immigrants in the U.S.

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#144 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:24 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 15 February 2021 - 11:22 AM, said:

I didn’t realize how far back the agitation about the citizenship question went.

Conner condemns the Trump administration's immigration enforcement for not focusing on deterring employers from hiring unauthorized workers.

Republicans will never touch employers because it would anger the Chamber of Commerce. Better to put on a big show that would eventually waste hundreds of billions of dollars than to lose tens of millions in campaign contributions.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users