#101 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10269 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:36 PM

View PostLFC, on 12 November 2019 - 04:07 PM, said:

And let them hold a "debate" cage match with knives. I'd pay to watch that!

Blunt instruments.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#102 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 13 November 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

Blunt instruments.

Yep, only with knives! Wait, what/who was your "blunt instruments" comment in reference to?
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#103 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10269 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

View PostLFC, on 14 November 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

Yep, only with knives! Wait, what/who was your "blunt instruments" comment in reference to?

On the wild off-chance that that was an actual question, simply: a cage match with knives is over too quickly.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#104 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:54 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 14 November 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

On the wild off-chance that that was an actual question, simply: a cage match with knives is over too quickly.

Actually it was a clearly unclear joke about Nunes and McCarthy themselves being the blunt instruments a.k.a. not the sharpest tools in the shed.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#105 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10269 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:55 PM

Porque no los dos?
— Nate Silver

#106 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:08 PM

Por que não os dois?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#107 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10269 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:15 PM

Oooh -- Port!
— Nate Silver

#108 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

Another case of Trumpian obstruction will go before SCOTUS.

The House Oversight Committee filed a lawsuit Tuesday seeking enforcement of subpoenas it issued to Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and Attorney General Bill Barr as part of the committee’s investigation into the census citizenship question.

The House previously voted to hold Ross and Barr in contempt for their defiance of the subpoenas, which request certain documents and communications from the failed effort to add the question.

Tuesday’s 84-page complaint said that, despite a Supreme Court decision that effectively blocked the administration from adding the question, the committee’s interest is in determining whether “legislation may be necessary to amend the census process or to provide additional safeguards in light of Defendants’ conduct.”

“In particular, the Committee must understand the extent of maladministration by government officials and the scope and nature of procedural defects relating to the Census, including with respect to the Commerce Department’s process for soliciting and evaluating input regarding the citizenship question, the Commerce Department’s efforts to affect the accuracy of the enumeration, and improper political influences on the Census,” the complaint said.

The lawsuit went on to lay out several key facts — many of them contradicting the administration’s initial justifications for adding the question — that were uncovered in the legal challenges to the question and in the committee’s investigation into the effort so far. The administration, including in testimony to Congress, claimed that the question was needed to produce data for Voting Rights Act enforcement. The Supreme Court earlier this year ruled that that justification was bogus.

“From an oversight perspective, the Committee’s investigation has revealed that the Executive Branch has made misleading statements to Congress and the American people,” the complaint said.

#109 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31052 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:00 PM

Barr continues to operate the DOJ as a legal protection and shielding racket for the GOP.

According to newly released documents, the U.S. Census Bureau under President Trump was in direct communication with the late GOP gerrymandering expert Thomas Hofeller, despite claims from the Department of Justice that there was no proof of contact between the two.

A 2015 study authored by Hofeller which favored a “citizenship question” on the 2020 Census because it “would be advantageous to Republicans and Non-Hispanic Whites” in 2021 and beyond was used by the Trump administration and GOP strategists as a political weapon against their non-white Democratic opponents — a tactic that was repeatedly denied by the Trump administration, Law & Crime reports.

According to a claim disseminated by lawyers for Trump and the Commerce Department under Secretary Wilbur Ross, the “citizenship question” was simply a bid to make sure every American’s right to vote was reinforced. Law & Crime reports that the claim “came directly from the top and implicate several lesser attorneys and officials at the U.S. Department of Justice.”

Happy Holidays! As a special thanks for your support this year, you can get Raw ad-free for just $2 a week. Now until Dec. 31.
A filing by Attorney General William Barr claimed that there is “no evidence that the 2015 Hofeller study made its way to Secretary Ross (or anyone else in government) and nothing in either document even arguably suggests that Secretary Ross harbored a discriminatory motive for including a citizenship question on the 2020 Census.” But according to Law & Crime, that claim is a lie.

“On November 14, voting rights advocates represented by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) pointed to the depositions of Ross advisor Mark Neuman, former DOJ official John Gore, and Commerce Department General Counsel Peter Davidson,” Law & Crime’s Colin Kalmbacher reports. “Those depositions contained several instances of false and misleading testimony which unsuccessfully sought to conceal Hofeller’s role in shaping the Trump administration’s race-based gambit.”

Additionally, documents obtained by the House Oversight Committee “showed that multiple lines authored by Hofeller were plagiarized by Nueman and Gore and inserted directly into a 2017 DOJ letter purporting to offer a non-racist legal argument in favor of adding the ‘citizenship question’ to the 2020 Census.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users