28 replies to this topic

#21 MSheridan

Human, for lack of options

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2577 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:31 PM

I understand what happened (I think) and why he did this, but it was still very hard on his wife. I hope their marriage survives. And him too, of course. I hope Babchenko already had good life insurance, because I think he just became an even higher risk.

#22 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4589 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

MSheridan, on 30 May 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

I understand what happened (I think) and why he did this, but it was still very hard on his wife. I hope their marriage survives. And him too, of course. I hope Babchenko already had good life insurance, because I think he just became an even higher risk.

If his wife allows him to remain alive...

#23 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11920 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

A slight diversion, but this is an interesting article about asymmetric warfare, and how the Finns combat it.

Russian hybrid operations and information warfare have dominated the headlines of late. Billed as a new threat to Western democratic societies, Russian hybrid operations run the gamut from fake Facebook accounts targeting unsuspecting U.S. voters with fake news to economic information used for foreign policy gain. The term itself may indeed be new but the concept is as old as warfare and diplomacy, and Russia’s neighbors have had to live with it for a long time. Few countries can match Finland’s long experience of dealing with Soviet and Russian hybrid warfare—before, during, and after the Cold War—and few countries have had as much success in standing up to it. The secret of Finland’s success can be found in the resilience of Finnish society, which is derived from its unique history and record of combining firmness with flexibility in dealing with its much larger, difficult, and unpredictable neighbor.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#24 DCoronata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

Traveler, on 31 May 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

http://www.finlandia...nnish-heritage/

" Finnish people developed the attitude of “sisu” (pronounced – see’-soo) or “persistence and determination” during the early years of their country’s formation."

Might have mentioned this a long time ago at BB- one of the Häkkinen kids was ten years old, driving his father's car on a frozen lake when he lost control and crashed it into the garage. His father came out, saw the wreck and asked him "What are you doing with that piece of shit car?" He then reached into his pocket, produced another set of keys, and demanded that his son "now get back out there and practice!"
Ambassador Spock: "There's an old Vulcan proverb, that only Nixon could go to China, and only Trump could screw up North Korea."

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
“Do you believe we can trust you rabble with a Republic?"

#25 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

Traveler, on 31 May 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Unfortunately one of our two major political parties have fully embraced these types of attacks on our nation and, in fact, have created their own web of propaganda outlets to spread it as well as create their own. Until the traitors are defeated at home we are doomed to be Putin's bitch.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#26 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11431 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

LFC, on 31 May 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Unfortunately one of our two major political parties have fully embraced these types of attacks on our nation and, in fact, have created their own web of propaganda outlets to spread it as well as create their own. Until the traitors are defeated at home we are doomed to be Putin's bitch.

I don't see how things will get better until some way is found to address the right's propaganda outlets and I am not sure how you do that without having 1st Amendment issues. Restoring the Fairness Doctrine might be a start.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#27 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

#28 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

If you're going to attend the World Cup you might want to bring a different cell phone with very little on it. Remember, these are the nice folks who tell Trump what to do and who he wants to allow back into the G7.

The top U.S. counterintelligence official is advising Americans traveling to Russia for football’s World Cup beginning this week that they should not take electronic devices because they are likely to be hacked by criminals or the Russian government.

In a statement to Reuters on Tuesday, William Evanina, an FBI agent and the director of the U.S. National Counterintelligence and Security Center, warned World Cup travelers that even if they think they are insignificant, hackers could still target them.

“If you’re planning on taking a mobile phone, laptop, PDA, or other electronic device with you - make no mistake - any data on those devices (especially your personally identifiable information) may be accessed by the Russian government or cyber criminals,” he said.

“Corporate and government officials are most at risk, but don’t assume you’re too insignificant to be targeted,” Evanina added. “If you can do without the device, don’t take it. If you must take one, take a different device from your usual one and remove the battery when not in use.”

Evanina’s warning comes as U.S. intelligence, law enforcement and congressional officials are still investigating Russian hacking in the 2016 presidential election and whether anyone with President Donald Trump’s campaign was aware of or aided it. Trump has repeatedly denied there was any collusion and Russia has said it did not meddle in the U.S. election.

Another U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said British security agencies have issued similar warnings to the British public and the England football team, which is competing for the World Cup.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#29 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4095 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:14 PM

the Russian government or cyber criminals

What's the difference?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users