28 replies to this topic

#1 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11920 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

This assassination stuff is out of hand.

www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/poison-in-the-system?utm_term=.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#2 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4095 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

Well, you can always just break off diplomatic relations and put clandestine hits on a few embassy personnel.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#3 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8856 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

It's been out of hand for quite some time. Putin had a Russian killed on US soil back in 2015. He dies the day before a meeting with the department of justice and it's an 'accident'? C'mon. There is a distinct lack of interest in confronting this, starting with Obama and now of course with Trump.

#4 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11920 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

More on the Russian chemical and biological weapons.

Since the start of Putin’s second term, a construction boom has been underway at more than two dozen institutes that were once part of the Soviet Union’s biological and chemical weapons establishment, according to Russian documents and photos compiled by independent researchers. That expansion, which includes multiple new or refurbished testing facilities, is particularly apparent at secret Defense Ministry laboratories that have long drawn the suspicions of U.S. officials over possible arms-treaty violations.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#5 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

Russia is a rogue state. Or they're busy trying to re-establish the Soviet Union.

The things they've done both during Obama's term and continued during the pussygrabbers occupation point to nothing else in my opinion.

Invading, occupying and annexing a large portion of a sovereign nation.
Continued war on neighboring countries.
Antagonistic toward western nations and NATO.
Disruptive covert operations on "enemy" nations' infrastructure.
Subversion of "enemy" democratic norms.
Assassination of operatives they deem troublesome.
Complete corruption of their own voting systems/practices.
Flaunting their actions which ignore previously agreed-upon treaties.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#6 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11431 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 19 March 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Russia is a rogue state. Or they're busy trying to re-establish the Soviet Union.

The things they've done both during Obama's term and continued during the pussygrabbers occupation point to nothing else in my opinion.

Agree absolutely. And while the US is the main target, it is not the only one. I have come to the point of view that the screws need to be tightened down on the Russian oligarchs and Russian mafia to intolerable and painful levels and then let them know via back channels that the only way out is or them to permanently remove Putin and his cronies, however they may deem fit.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#7 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11920 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

Intolerable is relative. This stuff is entirely related to the Russia thread I started. I see their leadership as an increasingly obstreperous actor. So very curious to see how the west responds to the latest insults.

I think these are as challenging times as any I can remember. Only since the Cuban missile crisis, but I was too young, so that don't count.

We have never been weaker than now.

#8 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:22 AM

The British Conservative Party is taking big money from Russian oligarchs. For example, it was well publicised a few years back, at the time, that when David Cameron was Prime Minister he dined at least once with an oligarch on his yacht. They couldn't possibly have just been talking about their favourite TV programmes.

<irony> I've been racking my brains to imagine what the hell they were talking about[1] </irony>

Perhaps a question with a short answer would be: how many parts of Western economies, societies etc., are not taking money from Putin?

[1]The last half-dozen British Prime Ministers dined with Rupert Murdoch once a month on average. Nuff said.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#9 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8856 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

Money talks, always has. In the long term, Russia is impoverishing itself. The oil won't last. In some ways, this parallels the cold war in that they are once again expending their national resources in a desperate, but destined to fail, bid for relevance. Unfortunately, a lot of damage can be inflicted in the meantime.

#10 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 20 March 2018 - 02:22 AM, said:

The British Conservative Party is taking big money from Russian oligarchs. For example, it was well publicised a few years back, at the time, that when David Cameron was Prime Minister he dined at least once with an oligarch on his yacht. They couldn't possibly have just been talking about their favourite TV programmes.

The Russians figured out which side was completely and totally for sale both in Britain and in the U.S.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#11 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

View Postindy, on 20 March 2018 - 08:04 AM, said:

Unfortunately, a lot of damage can be inflicted in the meantime.
That would sum up the Dumpster administration, in a nutshell. And think of what would happen if the Dem's manage to flip both side of Congress. He'd be a caged grizzly, but one with a bunch of human toddlers as hostages.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

#12 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

There's a pretty big pushback against Russia. I think Putin went just a little too far. Even Trump was talked into shuttering an embassy and expelling 60 diplomats / spies, though I suspect he's not very happy about that.

It's the biggest collective expulsion of alleged Russian intelligence officers in history, according to British Prime Minister Theresa May.

Diplomats are being kicked out of more than 20 countries -- including 16 European Union states, the United States and Canada -- in a coordinated effort that represents a significant diplomatic victory for the UK, which blames Russia in the March 4 poisoning of former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter, Yulia, in Salisbury, England.

The UK has already expelled 23 Russian diplomats. Moscow retaliated by sending the same number of UK diplomats back, and by shuttering British cultural institutions in the country.

What follows in the CNN piece is a country by country list of what they've done.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#13 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11920 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:04 PM

View PostLFC, on 27 March 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

There's a pretty big pushback against Russia. I think Putin went just a little too far. Even Trump was talked into shuttering an embassy and expelling 60 diplomats / spies, though I suspect he's not very happy about that.

What follows in the CNN piece is a country by country list of what they've done.
That is a pretty broad spectrum of states. Note how the Ukrainians expelled 13 and Lithuanians expelled another 3, plus sanctioning over 20 more.

#14 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 19 March 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Georgia during W’s term says “hi”.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#15 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 27 March 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

Georgia during W’s term says “hi”.

Good point.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#16 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

Man, Russia needs more regulations. There seems to be an inordinate number of accidents happening there.

A Russian investigative journalist who died in a mysterious fall from his fifth-floor apartment complained about masked security men surrounding his flat just one day before his death, according to a friend. Maxim Borodin, whose work included reporting about the deaths of Russian mercenaries in Syria, was found badly injured by neighbors in the city of Yekaterinburg on Thursday and died at a hospital. Local officials said the incident was unlikely to be criminal in nature, but the chief editor of Novyy Den, where Borodin worked, said he didn’t believe his death could have been an accident. Now Boridin’s friend, Vyacheslav Bashkov, has claimed the journalist contacted him a day before his death complaining that “someone with a weapon on his balcony and people in camouflage and masks on the staircase landing.” Regional authorities said the door of his flat had been locked from the inside, indicating that no one else had either entered or left the flat.

Meanwhile some of the people who have been riding the Putin tiger are getting nervous and for good reasons.

Times are getting tough for Russia’s oligarchs.

Seven of them were sanctioned on April 6 by the U.S. Treasury, along with 17 government officials and 12 Russian businesses. More U.S. sanctions are on the way in connection with Syria’s chemical weapons program. And in addition to all that, Moscow authorities hustled Russian billionaire Ziyavudin Magomedov off to jail in his track suit and without a toothbrush late last month, just as he and his family were headed for his private plane and a vacation in Miami. His older brother, Magomed, a former member of Russia’s Federation Council, is also behind bars.

Russian journalist Yulia Latynina called the Magomedovs’ arrest on embezzlement charges a “cataclysmic event” for Russian business and wondered, “Where can a poor billionaire go now—if you have on the one hand the U.S. Treasury and on the other the example of the Magomedovs?”

#17 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3033 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

A heads up from Bloomberg news.

Pay close attention to what sites you go to.

Russia Steps Up Hacking, Spurring Rare U.S.-U.K. Warning on Risk
By Robert Hutton and Nafeesa Syeed
‎April‎ ‎16‎, ‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎32‎ ‎EDT Updated on ‎April‎ ‎16‎, ‎2018‎ ‎13‎:‎59‎ ‎EDT

Russia is using compromised computer-network equipment to attack U.S. and British companies and government agencies, the two countries warned in an unprecedented joint alert.

The warning on Monday came from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Federal Bureau of Investigation and Britain’s National Cyber Security Center.

https://www.bloomber...n-cyber-attacks
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

#18 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22184 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

Putin adds to his political body count.

A prominent Russian journalist and critic of President Vladimir Putin was gunned down in Ukraine where he had fled into exile following threats, police said on Tuesday.

Arkady Babchenko died of his wounds in an ambulance after his wife found him covered in his blood in their home, police said, adding they suspected the murder was due to Babchenko’s professional activities.

Babchenko, one of Russia’s best-known war correspondents, had left Russia fearing for his life after criticizing Russian policy in Ukraine and Syria.

He had been denounced by pro-government politicians in Russia over comments on social media about the Russian bombing of Syria, and over his characterization of Russia as an aggressor toward Ukraine.

“The first version is his professional activity,” said Kiev police chief Andriy Kryshchenko on the TV news channel 112, when asked what police suspected lay behind the murder.

Two years ago Pavel Sheremet, a Belarussian journalist known for his criticism of his home country’s leadership and his friendship with the slain Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov, was blown up in a car bomb in central Kiev.

“Putin’s regime is aimed at those who cannot be broken or intimidated,” Anton Gerashchenko, a Ukrainian lawmaker and advisor to the interior minister, wrote on Facebook.

#19 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:08 PM

We've got a lot of killers
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

#20 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4589 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:00 AM

View PostLFC, on 29 May 2018 - 04:42 PM, said:

It turns out this journalist isn't dead. Sounds like movie plot.

Arkady Babchenko, a Russian journalist and Kremlin critic who was reported murdered in Ukraine on Tuesday appeared — alive — at a news conference on Wednesday at which Ukrainian authorities said they had staged the killing as a sting operation.

Anton Gerashchenko, a member of the Ukrainian parliament and adviser to Ukraine’s Ministry of Internal Affairs, who was among the first to report the murder on Tuesday, wrote on Twitter Wednesday that two suspects had been arrested thanks to a “brilliant operation” by Ukrainian law enforcement — a would-be assassin and a suspect who organized the planned killing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users