#41 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27888 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

North Dakota.

North Dakota Republican Gov. Doug Burgum signed legislation Wednesday that makes it a crime for a doctor performing a second-trimester abortion to use instruments such as clamps, scissors and forceps to remove the fetus from the womb.
The bill that passed easily in the GOP-led Legislature last month outlaws the abortion practice known as dilation and evacuation — the most commonly used procedure in second-trimester abortions, according to the New York-based Guttmacher Institute, an abortion rights research organization.

The bill uses the non-medical term “human dismemberment abortion” and is graphic in describing the procedure.

Except in cases of an emergency, doctors performing the procedure would be charged with a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. The measure says the woman having the abortion would not face charges.

Ohio.

No topic seemed off limits, including tales of back alleys and coat hangers, as abortion-rights supporters in Ohio fought perhaps the last battle over a twice-vetoed heartbeat abortion ban, which Gov. Mike DeWine has said he will sign.After nearly 10 years of fighting, Democrats let loose during run-up to final House and Senate approval Wednesday with lessons from slavery, predictions of economic harm, references to the book of Genesis, and testimonials about their own rapes. Faith groups brandished banners and made pleas for religious tolerance. An advocate for reproductive rights threatened Republicans with the loss of young voters’ support in 2020.Opponents vowed to sue.
The House’s 56-39 vote sent the bill to the Ohio Senate, which agreed to House changes 18-13 before sending the bill to DeWine, a Republican who took office in January.

Ohio’s closely divided politics have slowed the progress of the so-called heartbeat bill as it has caught momentum elsewhere, forcing years of debate in the state where the movement originated.

Five other states have now passed similar bans, two of which have been blocked by the courts. Republican Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, who took office in January, has said he will sign the bill, after former GOP Gov. John Kasich vetoed it twice.

For Republicans it's all abortion all the time. It's how they keep the religious zealots gleefully supporting a whole host of immoral and downright cruel policies without blinking an eye. Dreher actually just recently admitted that in an article. Abortion and "religious freedom" are all he really cares about. Any evil, including supporting Trump, is justified through that lens. Of course not one of them is willing to suggest or support anything that would actually decrease the number of unintended pregnancies. Nope, the wicked (women who have sex outside of marriage including those little sluts who get themselves raped even if it's by daddy) must be punished!
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#42 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1676 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

View PostLFC, on 11 April 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

Nope, the wicked (women who have sex outside of marriage including those little sluts who get themselves raped even if it's by daddy) must be punished!
Not that they care any about the women who have sex INSIDE of marriage. Those are just the handmaids (and property) of men and aren't allowed to control their bodies either.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#43 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27888 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

Georgia Republicans passed a new highly restrictive abortion law. It's a fetal heartbeat law that bans abortion after 6 weeks. Here's AOC's take:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
@AOC

“6 weeks pregnant” = 2 weeks late on your period.

Most of the men writing these bills don’t know the first thing about a woman’s body outside of the things they want from it. It’s relatively common for a woman to have a late period + not be pregnant.

So this is a backdoor ban.

Several production companies said they can no longer do business in Georgia as a result.

Three big production companies say they will no longer shoot in Georgia because of a new law banning abortions as early as six weeks into a pregnancy, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Producer David Simon of Blown Deadline Productions, CEO Christine Vachon of Killer Films, and Mark Duplass of Duplass Brothers Productions have all vowed to stop filming in the Peach State in the wake of Republican Gov. Brian Kemp’s decision to sign the bill into law on Tuesday. “I can’t ask any female member of any film production with which I am involved to so marginalize themselves or compromise their inalienable authority over their own bodies. I must undertake production where the rights of all citizens remain intact,” tweeted Simon, the creator of The Wire and The Deuce who runs Blown Deadline. The legislation, called the “heartbeat bill,” has a few exceptions, including to save the life of the pregnant woman and in cases of rape or incest—so long as the expectant mother files a police report.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#44 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5591 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

The Georgia law also makes a 6 week old cluster of cells a human so the doctors and mothers can be charged with murder. So I wonder if child support payments should begin at that stage of development too? Let's get the sperm donors on the hook quick to preserve and sustain these newly defined individuals.

#45 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27888 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 10 May 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

The Georgia law also makes a 6 week old cluster of cells a human so the doctors and mothers can be charged with murder. So I wonder if child support payments should begin at that stage of development too?

And child support welfare payments from the state for anybody below a certain income threshold. If it's a person with all rights and privileges that brings then the state must consistently treat them as a person, right?

#46 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27888 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

Posted Image

#47 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27888 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

Posted Image

#48 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostTraveler, on 03 April 2019 - 07:42 AM, said:

Jeez, sometimes I drop kick royally.... Let's just say Roberts won't....

Roberts will concur with Alito's Rule: these laws aren't "unduly burdensome." Roe v Wade will still be theoretically on the books, but like the Voting Rights Act it won't be enforceable.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#49 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27888 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:30 AM

Are abortion rights important to you? Did you decide that you just couldn't vote for Hillary? Well here's what's coming. You did this.

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer sounded the alarm about the court’s conservative majority’s eagerness to overturn decades-old precedent in a dissent to a 5-4 decision where the court reversed a 1979 ruling regarding state sovereignty.

Breyer’s statement was widely interpreted to be a warning about Roe v. Wade, given that he teed up his warning with a reference to a 1992 abortion case that upheld the 1973 landmark decision enshrining the constitutional right to abortion.

“Today’s decision can only cause one to wonder which cases the Court will overrule next,” Breyer said, after quoting the decision 1992 Planned Parenthood v. Casey.

#50 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5591 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

It always seemed to me that a government that can prohibit abortions is also a government that can require them.

#51 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3651 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

Quick and easy way to determine if it's really about saving lives or if it's about exerting control.

A 6-week-old embryo is about an inch long.
Put 100 of these embryos in a jar and hold it over a cliff in one hand.
Hold a 5-year-old child over the same cliff in the other hand.
Choose one hand to keep and let the other side drop.

Should be an easy choice. Save 100 lives or save 1 life.

The only real question is "What kind of ice cream are you going to buy that 5-year-old?"
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#52 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5591 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:33 PM

I think many anti-abortion people are sincere and truly think they are trying to save lives. But I have to ask them to ask their female friends how many of them miscarried after the so-called heartbeat was detected. I can name 5 off the top of my head. Because of that I never told anyone but my husband about my pregnancies until 4 months along.

#53 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27888 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

Today Alabama. Eventual stop, SCOTUS. I predict Roe v. Wade will end up overturned, gotten around, or in some other way shit-canned. Think this is outrageous? Didn't vote for Hillary in 2016? OK, then here's a big steaming mug of STFU. YOU made this.

#54 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1676 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

View PostLFC, on 15 May 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

Today Alabama. Eventual stop, SCOTUS. I predict Roe v. Wade will end up overturned, gotten around, or in some other way shit-canned. Think this is outrageous? Didn't vote for Hillary in 2016? OK, then here's a big steaming mug of STFU. YOU made this.
Gilead Here We Come!!! Blessed Be!
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#55 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27888 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:54 PM

The Alabama law is downright draconian and clearly written by men who know nothing about women, pregnancy, medicine, etc.

State Sen. Clyde Chambliss (R-Prattville, pictured above) answered questions all night on behalf of the chamber’s Republicans, but neglected to properly define numerous terms and phrases in the legislation — particularly the language outlawing abortions for women who are “known” to be pregnant.

Reporters speculated that this emphasis was meant to exclude the morning-after pill. Chambliss stumbled through an explanation.

“I’m not trained medically, so I don’t know all the proper medical terminology and timelines and that sort of thing, but from what I’ve read, what I’ve been told, there’s some period of time before you can know that a woman is pregnant,” he said. “This bill respects that period of time. The bottom of page five talks about having to be ‘known to be pregnant.’”

The time before a woman “is known” to be pregnant, he said, “gives them that window of time. This bill does not change that window of time. Once that person is known to be pregnant, then this bill will take effect.”

He added separately: “You can’t know that immediately. It takes some time for all those chromosomes and all that.”

But if chromosomes from a man and a woman meeting is the deadline for women legally terminating a pregnancy, that’s quite a different standard than a “known” pregnancy. Days or weeks elapse between fertilization and positive pregnancy tests, Democratic lawmakers pointed out. Where does the law stand on those early days?

Chambliss didn’t have an answer.

It's so bad that Pat Robertson called it an "extreme law." No this is not The Onion.

“I think Alabama has gone too far, they’ve passed a law that would give a 99-year prison sentence to those who commit abortions,” he said Wednesday on “The 700 Club.” “There’s no exception for rape or incest. It’s an extreme law and they want to challenge Roe v. Wade, but my humble view is that this is not the case we want to bring to the Supreme Court because I think this one’ll lose.”

#56 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5591 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:21 PM

View PostLFC, on 15 May 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

The Alabama law is downright draconian and clearly written by men who know nothing about women, pregnancy, medicine, etc.

It's so bad that Pat Robertson called it an "extreme law." No this is not The Onion.

Robertson is probably right. I doubt the Supreme Court would grant cert. The lower courts will probably stay its enforcement before it gets that far and it will just die in limbo. The 20 week or "heartbeat" laws would be a chance for Roberts and company to narrow abortion access without prohibiting it entirely. That's probably more palatable for the Court.

These hard core fanatics just handed Democrats an issue that will mobilize moderates. Polling consistently shows that people support abortion in some cases. This Alabama law forecloses it entirely.

#57 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27888 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:04 AM

Republicans are going for it all over the country. They've decided that abortion is to be a major issue in 2020. I guess they feel that's the only way to get their base to turn out with Trump in office. I suspect 2018 still stings.

Missouri’s GOP-led Senate met early Thursday to pass a bill 24-10 that would ban abortions at eight weeks of gestation. The bill, which still has to pass the state’s Republican-led House, calls for prison terms of as much as 15 years for doctors performing abortions after the eight-week cutoff. The bill allows exceptions for medical emergencies, but not for pregnancies borne of rape or incest. Missouri’s Republican governor, Mike Parson, supports the bill, promising it would make his state “one of the strongest pro-life states in the country.” Alabama on Wednesday enacted America’s most restrictive abortion measure, banning all abortions after six weeks.

#58 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27888 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

These people don't think the same way I do. Here's a justification for not allowing a 12-year old girl to get an abortion after she's been raped and impregnated by her father; it destroys the evidence so it's for her own good. W...T...F?

Matt Walsh
@MattWalshBlog
If a 12 year old is raped by her father and the father takes her to get an abortion, the evidence of the crime will be destroyed and he will go on molesting his victim for years. If however the child is born, his crime will be discovered and she will be rescued from the abuse.

#59 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5591 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

View PostLFC, on 16 May 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

These people don't think the same way I do. Here's a justification for not allowing a 12-year old girl to get an abortion after she's been raped and impregnated by her father; it destroys the evidence so it's for her own good. W...T...F?

Is there some sort of drug around that can induce morning sickness, bloating, sudden rapid weight gain only in the frontal regions, enlarged breasts, loosen ligaments, inability to roll over easily, bend down to pick something up, inability to breathe comfortably, acid reflux, and top it all off with passing a bowl movement over a 2 to 60 hour time period that weighs 6-8lbs? When there is one, this MattWalsh guy should be given it. Then he can tell us if a 12 year old should have to undergo that.

#60 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12977 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

Posted Image
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users