116 replies to this topic

#101 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14642 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#102 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2515 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

Posted Image

#103 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2352 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

Posted Image
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#104 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34047 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

Republicans and Christianists get their way over Planned Parenthood and leave 1.5 million without a healthcare option. It's not like it really matters, of course. They're mostly poor, women, or children who are already born and a lot of them are ... let's say more melanin enhanced.

Planned Parenthood pulled out of a federally funded family-planning program on Monday over an abortion gag rule, leaving some 1.5 million clients scrambling for services.

The move comes after a federal appeals court approved a new Trump administration rule that bars healthcare providers who receive federal funds from performing abortions or discussing it with their patients.

Planned Parenthood’s decision is a victory for anti-abortion activists, who have been attempting to cut off government funding to the organization for years.

“The Trump administration has forced Planned Parenthood grantees out of Title X,” Planned Parenthood Acting President Alexis McGill Johnson told reporters, adding, “We will not be bullied out of providing abortion information to our patients.”

McGill said clinics would remain open, but that patients could experience long wait times and some may choose to forgo care.

The Trump administration rule bars any recipient of Title X—a program that provides $286 million in family planning funds for an estimated 4 million low-income Americans each year—from performing abortions, providing referrals to abortion providers, or even discussing the procedure with their patients.

Planned Parenthood, the American Medical Association, the ACLU, and more than 20 states filed challenges to the rule when it was first announced in May, saying it prevents doctors from speaking honestly with their patients. Critics also argued the rule would disproportionately affect low-income people and people of color.

Several lower courts blocked the rule—with one federal judge calling it a “ham-fisted approach to public health policy”—but the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit allowed it to move forward in July.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#105 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34047 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

This is just f***ing creepy.

Dr. Randall Williams, the Republican-appointed director of the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, admitted during an administrative commission hearing on Tuesday that he has been tracking the menstrual periods of women who visit Planned Parenthood clinics, the Kansas City Star reports.

During the hearing, which will help determine whether Planned Parenthood will keep its license to perform abortions in the state, Williams said he kept a spreadsheet at the request of an investigator who wanted to identify women who had undergone failed abortions.

“The spreadsheet, which was based on the medical records the investigator had access to, also included identification numbers and the date of the last menstrual period of each patient,” reports the Star. “The investigation eventually found four patients that had to return to Planned Parenthood more than once to have a successful surgical abortion. The ‘failed’ abortions led the department to have ‘grave concerns’ that caused it to withhold the St. Louis clinic’s license.”

The Star notes that Williams also “drew national attention earlier this year over a state policy requiring that physicians perform a pelvic exam three days before a woman receives a surgical abortion, even though physicians already do the exam immediately before the procedure.”

He eventually reversed the policy after Planned Parenthood called it “invasive” and “medically unnecessary.”

Here's a picture of the creeper himself.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#106 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6604 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

View PostLFC, on 29 October 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

This is just f***ing creepy.

Here's a picture of the creeper himself.

Posted Image
There are some creepy men in the GYN specialty. They are interested in women's health in unhealthy ways.

#107 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8432 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 29 October 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

There are some creepy men in the GYN specialty. They are interested in women's health in unhealthy ways.

"Don't worry - I'm a doctor.".......
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#108 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:39 AM

Guardian: Ohio bill orders doctors to ‘reimplant ectopic pregnancy’ or face 'abortion murder' charge

Uh?
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#109 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6604 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 29 November 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

Nonsense written by people who don't know what ectopic pregnancy is. No "baby" comes from such a pregnancy, but a woman could die from it.

#110 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:59 AM

View Postgolden_valley, on 29 November 2019 - 11:33 AM, said:

Nonsense written by people who don't know what ectopic pregnancy is. No "baby" comes from such a pregnancy, but a woman could die from it.

I regularly think we've hit bottom, and then something like this crops up. Yes, all right, my time with TRS has taught me that this will eventually be killed by a lawsuit or two. But why does it need all the stress, aggravation and huge financial cost of lawsuits to protect the most basic sanity, decency and humanity?

You with your Trump and your Republican Party. Us with our BloJo and our Conservative Party. Let us all read the first line of my sig, then get together, get the booze in and let us all get off our faces.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#111 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34047 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

"Jane Roe" taped a deathbed confession that she never had a conversion concerning abortion. She did it for the money which the Evangelicals gladly gave her.

“Jane Roe,” the plaintiff in the landmark 1973 Supreme Court ruling legalizing abortion, admitted in a deathbed confession that she faked her conversion later in life to oppose legal abortion.

Norma McCorvey, who died in 2017, became known as Jane Roe after suing for the right to get a legal and safe abortion in Texas, made the stunning confession in the upcoming FX documentary “AKA Jane Roe,” reported The Daily Beast.

“This is my deathbed confession,” McCorvey chuckles in the film.

Director Nick Sweeney asks whether the evangelical movement used her as a trophy, and McCorvey agrees she was “the big fish,” but admits she also got something out of the arrangement.

“I think it was a mutual thing,” she told the filmmaker. “I took their money and they took me out in front of the cameras and told me what to say. That’s what I’d say.”

“I’m a good actress,” she added. “Of course, I’m not acting now.”

Conservatives crowed for years after McCorvey announced that she had renounced being a lesbian and became an anti-abortion, born-again Christian, and actors Jon Voight and Stacey Dash starred in a preachy film about her conversion.

But she makes clear in the film, which is out May 22, that she hadn’t really changed her ways.

“I wonder how many abortions Donald Trump is responsible for,” McCorvey said in the film. “I’m sure he’s lost count, if he can count that high.”

“If a young woman wants to have an abortion—fine,” she added. “That’s no skin off my ass. You know, that’s why they call it ‘choice.’ It’s your choice.”

#112 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:24 PM

More from the Daily Beast piece(bold mine):

Reverend Schenck, the much more reasonable of the two evangelical leaders featured in the film, also watches the confession and is taken aback. But he’s not surprised, and easily corroborates, saying, “I had never heard her say anything like this… But I knew what we were doing. And there were times when I was sure she knew. And I wondered, Is she playing us? What I didn’t have the guts to say was, because I know damn well we’re playing her.” Reverend Schenck admits that McCorvey was “a target,” a “needy” person in need of love and protection, and that “as clergy,” people like Schenck and Benham were “used to those personalities” and thus easily able to exploit her weaknesses. He also confirms that she was “coached on what to say” in her anti-abortion speeches. Benham denies McCorvey was paid; Schenck insists she was, saying that “at a few points, she was actually on the payroll, as it were.” AKA Jane Roe finds documents disclosing at least $456,911 in “benevolent gifts” from the anti-abortion movement to McCorvey.

Reverend Benham then blurts out, “Yeah, but she chose to be used. That’s called work. That’s what you’re paid to be doing!” Schenck’s thinking is quite different: “For Christians like me, there is no more important or authoritative voice than Jesus,” he explains. “And he said, ‘What does it profit in the end if he should gain the whole world and lose his soul?’ When you do what we did to Norma, you lose your soul.”

Um, "work," yes...but something along the lines of The World's Oldest Profession...
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#113 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34047 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:04 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 20 May 2020 - 03:24 PM, said:

More from the Daily Beast piece(bold mine):

Dreher wrote a remarkably balanced piece on Norma McCorvey at TAC but he hadn't viewed the FX special yet. He basically calls her a damaged person which, from the sound of actual reporting, was true irrespective of anything else.

It was clear in the interviews she did after she came out as “Roe” that she had been beat up pretty badly by life, and might not be the most stable person. Her Wikipedia entry talks about how she was raised by a mother who was a violent alcoholic. Hers was a hard life.

And he admits the admissions you quoted wouldn't surprise him. I'll be interested if he updates the article once the first person admissions land in his comment section or inbox.

Still, it would not surprise me to learn that some pro-life leaders treated her poorly. This is how political activists can be. They learn to see the world entirely through the lens of their cause, and whether they mean to or not, come to judge people by how useful they are to the cause.

Of course there's this opportunity for self-realization that he completely missed. Weigh the following with his touting of the ever more fascist ruler of Hungary because he's propping up the church i.e. using it as a political weapon. This is something Dreher can't conceive of when it's his side being tossed levers of power. Then there's his love of Cardinal Vigano, a fellow gay basher and someone who loves to bash Pope Francis but who has his own skeletons he hasn't dealt with including ordering the destruction of evidence in a child sexual assault investigation as recently as 2014. He was also the clown that dragged the gay bashing Kim Davis in front of Pope Francis for a photo op. Dreher has also heaped praise on Pope Benedict, a man who clearly covered up sexual assaults even before he was Pope. That's tying yourself to a lot of rather awful people.

Still, it would not surprise me to learn that some pro-life leaders treated her poorly. This is how political activists can be. They learn to see the world entirely through the lens of their cause, and whether they mean to or not, come to judge people by how useful they are to the cause.

Take that finger and point it right back at yourself, Rod.

#114 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5405 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:37 PM

View PostLFC, on 20 May 2020 - 09:08 AM, said:

"Jane Roe" taped a deathbed confession that she never had a conversion concerning abortion. She did it for the money which the Evangelicals gladly gave her.

But did the evangelicals' gay conversion therapy work?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#115 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6604 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:42 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 20 May 2020 - 09:37 PM, said:

But did the evangelicals' gay conversion therapy work?

Just tools in the culture war battle. It doesn't matter if it works, just that it's repeated loudly and frequently.

#116 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34047 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:17 PM

View PostLFC, on 20 May 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

Dreher wrote a remarkably balanced piece on Norma McCorvey at TAC but he hadn't viewed the FX special yet. He basically calls her a damaged person which, from the sound of actual reporting, was true irrespective of anything else.

Aaaaand he's back to being Rod, grasping at straws like an opinion he received from a friend. The piece of dreck he put up is called Norma McCorvey Was Truly Pro-Life and is literally based on nothing more than the opinion of a person who said "I knew her, just a bit." Of course there's the usual pablum about how much more wonderful the anti-abortion folks are than the pro-choice folks and that's why McCorvey like them so much more. Here's the last paragraph from the friend.

No one knows the truth except Norma, of course. But my experience of her was that, when we talked privately about her convictions, her conversion to the pro-life position was authentic and deep. And I never heard her say anything about money. In any case, pro-lifers would have been much less able to give her money than pro-choicers could.

No a mention anywhere of the "$456,911 in 'benevolent gifts'" the anti-abortion crowd gave her. For a group Rod's friend claims has little money that sure is a big f***in' chunk o' change.

#117 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6604 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:38 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 May 2020 - 01:17 PM, said:

Aaaaand he's back to being Rod, grasping at straws like an opinion he received from a friend. The piece of dreck he put up is called Norma McCorvey Was Truly Pro-Life and is literally based on nothing more than the opinion of a person who said "I knew her, just a bit." Of course there's the usual pablum about how much more wonderful the anti-abortion folks are than the pro-choice folks and that's why McCorvey like them so much more. Here's the last paragraph from the friend.

No a mention anywhere of the "$456,911 in 'benevolent gifts'" the anti-abortion crowd gave her. For a group Rod's friend claims has little money that sure is a big f***in' chunk o' change.

He's not one to be shaken from his convictions for long. It just takes a while to figure out how to explain some things away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users