462 replies to this topic

#41 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26309 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

Want to know what a politician looks like who has spent all of their political capital and left themselves with zero credibility? Ladies and gentlemen, introducing Mitch McConnell. If he had Pinocchio's nose it would be like a giant redwood by now.

With thousands of federal employees set to be furloughed beginning Monday morning after congressional leaders failed to reach a breakthrough in negotiations over the weekend, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is offering an olive branch to Democrats.

Now, ahead of a vote on Monday that would re-open the federal government, Democrats must decide whether to trust him to follow through on his promise to bring immigration legislation to the Senate floor by Feb. 8 if lawmakers fail to work out a broader deal by then.

Democrats have previously argued that they have no reason to put their faith in McConnell, pointing to instances in which the majority leader was unable to follow through on legislative promises even to his fellow Republicans. Moreover, they don’t believe the House Republican leadership will follow through, either.

In a short address from the Senate floor just after 9 p.m. on Sunday, McConnell said “it would be my intention to proceed on legislation that would address DACA [Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals], border security, and related issues” if those bipartisan priorities are not resolved before funding expires on Feb. 8—assuming the government’s lights are turned on before then.

The promise—one aimed at winning over Democrats and Republicans who did not support Friday night’s four-week stopgap bill—underscores the trust deficit that has engulfed the Senate for months, and the historic inability of Congress to act on comprehensive immigration reform. A supermajority of Democrats in both chambers has, thus far, held the line on voting against any government funding bill that does not include legal protections for DACA recipients—the undocumented immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

It remains to be seen whether McConnell’s colleagues—Democrats, in particular—will be willing to take the majority leader at his word. But according to early indications on Sunday night, such a proposal was unlikely to win over enough Democrats.

At least one lawmaker—Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), who is among a majority of Democrats banding together to block a government funding bill without DACA protections—immediately threw cold water on McConnell’s proposal.

“There has to be a pathway that is nailed down much better because McConnell’s version of regular order—he simply controls the place and does what he wants,” Merkley said Sunday night on MSNBC. “There’s very little trust… We haven’t ever seen McConnell stand up for his promises.”

I just picture McConnell as a skinnier version of the cartoon character Wimpy saying "I'd gladly schedule a vote Tuesday for a vote today."
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#42 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26309 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

The government is back in business with McConnell on the hook to actually produce on an immigration deal. Using his history as a guide I don't hold out much hope. Frankly I don't think he has the political chops to do anything beyond obstruction. So expect to be right back here in 2-1/2 weeks.

The Senate voted to end a government shutdown on Monday afternoon after Democrats agreed to support a short-term deal in exchange for a promised vote on a bill to protect undocumented immigrants brought here as children.

The lopsided 81-18 vote is a major step towards ending a shutdown that had begun as the clock hit midnight on Friday — and while many immigration advocates are irate about the deal, it’s far from the end of the fight over immigration and government funding.

“The Republican leader and I have come to an arrangement. We will vote today to reopen the government,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said on the Senate floor early Monday afternoon. “The Republican majority now has 17 days to prevent the DREAMers from being deported.”

The deal will keep the government open until Feb. 8, prolonging the showdown over whether to return legal status to undocumented immigrants brought here as children as well as the fight over military spending levels and other major issues.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) committed to a vote on the DREAM Act if lawmakers can’t agree to a deal before then — but immigrant advocates don’t see that as much of an offer, given that House Republicans and President Trump didn’t commit to the same.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#43 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

That’s why it’s short-term. Make it more clear who’s fault it is if Gov. clises Shop again next month.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#44 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26309 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

Chris Wallace exposes Mick Mulvaney as a hypocritical asshole. Here's part of the puke-inducing "defense" he gave.

During an interview with White House Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, Wallace noted that Trump had said that President Barack Obama deserved blame for the 2013 shutdown even though Republicans initiated it to protest Obamacare funding.

“If President Obama was responsible then… isn’t President Trump responsible now?” Wallace asked.

Mulvaney insisted that the “two presidents have acted” very differently during the shutdown.

“I will look you in the eye and tell you President Obama wanted that shutdown and he wanted to weaponize it,” Mulvaney insisted. “This president has worked really hard to prevent the shutdown.”

“He didn’t have a bipartisan meeting with congressional leaders yesterday,” Wallace pointed out. “Does he have one on the schedule today?”

Mulvaney accused Wallace of trying to “split hairs.”

“I don’t think anybody can say that this president wants this shutdown,” Mulvaney said. “You could not say the same thing about President Obama.”

BTW he didn't even know that the department he headed was in charge of the mechanics of the shutdown. When he found out he said it was "kind of cool." W...T...F? This guy is typical of the human garbage that work for Trump.

In an interview with conservative commentator Sean Hannity on Friday before the shutdown went into effect, Office of Management and Budget director Mick Mulvaney chatted about newly claimed importance.

"Obviously, I'm heavily involved in this, Sean, is that the Office of Management and Budget is charged with, you know, sort of implementing running a shutdown," he said, as first reported by Media Matters for America. “I found out for the first time last night that the person who technically shuts down the government down is me, which is kind of cool.”

Mulvaney's definition of "cool" is unclear—during the last shutdown in 2013, 850,000 “non-essential” federal workers were told not to report to work over its 16 days. Both furloughed and non-furloughed staffers are unpaid, and although they are supposed to be paid retroactively, some employees still haven’t received compensation for those days. National parks were also closed and gated off, losing about 700,000 visitors per day. Altogether, the shutdown cost the economy an estimated $24 billion.

Although this may be the first shutdown that Mulvaney has ordered, it isn’t the first time he has helped orchestrate one. In 2013, he played a prominent role in shuttering the government and voted to keep it going when lawmakers reached a deal to end it.

#45 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

Of course, if it isn’t related to personally profiting (directly or feeding “friends” and donors), and especially if it looks like “Work”, none of Dump’s people will have a clue.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#46 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26309 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

CHIP is now funded for the next 6 years. Republicans gave up what they viewed as one of their strongest weapons. And since it was a Dem who immediately moved to protect members of the military they don't have that one either. Now all they have left is the immigration debate but they are going after a group of people that even the majority of Republicans say should be allowed to stay and become citizens. On top of that Schumer and the Dems have made a show of be willing to negotiate, giving in a bit on the stupid wall in exchange for something the vast majority of the country said should be done. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems that McConnell has put himself into a tight corner without any real game plan forward.

#47 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9049 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:27 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 January 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

Chris Wallace exposes Mick Mulvaney as a hypocritical asshole. Here's part of the puke-inducing "defense" he gave.

Anyone care to read the Fox entrails to figure out what this means in the current partisan media?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#48 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 22 January 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Anyone care to read the Fox entrails to figure out what this means in the current partisan media?

Only if they are REALLY the entrails of the Murdoch clan, Hannity, et. al.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#49 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9049 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 January 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems that McConnell has put himself into a tight corner without any real game plan forward.

The only games McConnell knows are:
  • Obstruction, and
  • Ramming legislation through without debate and in secrecy.

The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#50 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 22 January 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

The only games McConnell knows are:
  • Obstruction, and
  • Ramming legislation through without debate and in secrecy.

It appears he’s really only good at one of those.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#51 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5315 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

Re: Mulvaney not knowing a government shut down was part of his portfolio. He is the result of the lack of knowledge of and/or respect for the functions of government. Government work requires expertise by people who know what they're doing. It isn't just like business or running a hedge fund.

#52 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12579 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

Democrats are funding CHIP for six years and reopening the government without losing their shutdown leverage
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#53 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 22 January 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

Only if they are REALLY the entrails of the Murdoch clan, Hannity, et. al.
Except that I'm going to guess that Satan has a prior claim to any remaining organs they leave behind.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#54 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26309 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

View Postpnwguy, on 22 January 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

Except that I'm going to guess that Satan has a prior claim to any remaining organs they leave behind.

Satan doesn't deal in organs, only souls. And looking at this crowd I think Satan won't end up with anything. You can't get blood from a stone and you can't get a soul from the soulless.

#55 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

View PostLFC, on 23 January 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Satan doesn't deal in organs, only souls. And looking at this crowd I think Satan won't end up with anything. You can't get blood from a stone and you can't get a soul from the soulless.

Maybe he already collected on them. These are just the husks, shambling about in a simulation of life. Explains a lot about today’s GOP, actually.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#56 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26309 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

Here's more on the nauseating liberal self-destructive whining about Schumer. WTF did Schumer give up? A few weeks. What did he get? CHIP is funded! WTF, people? He most definitely got the better part of this deal. If Republicans dig in on DACA then we're simply back where we just were ... a few weeks later.

Josh Marshall delivers a very good bitch-slap called Stop Whining, Move Forward. Here's the lead. It follows with more analysis on the fact that Schumer actually didn't give up anything. Interestingly I just talked a guy at work off the very same ledge. Sometimes I just want to shake the shit out of the Bernie Bro' types.

It’s amazing how quickly conventional wisdom can congeal. It’s even more amazing when it plays to Democrats’ habit of garment-rending and self-flagellation. This morning I read this in the lede of The Washington Post‘s Daily 202.

Seven takeaways from the failed Democratic government shutdown: The Resistance will struggle when it tries to replicate the tactics of the tea party movement. The left learned with its failed shutdown gambit that it cannot beat President Trump by copying the same playbook that the right used against Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.

Good Lord, people.

A number of author James Hohmann’s takeaways have merit. The fact that Democrats believe in government and have constituencies who depend on it, both as federal employees and beneficiaries, makes the dynamics of the shutdown waiting game inherently different and more difficult for Democrats. This is certainly a disappointment. Democrats have essentially agreed to punt and come back to the same challenge in three weeks. Democratic self-flagellation gives President Trump an opening for bragging and chortling. None of that is fun.

But the takeaway here is wrong. I don’t think it’s right to see this as Democrats trying to replicate the Tea Party playbook. They could try that. Many Democrats would like to see them try it. But they actually haven’t. The particular dynamics of the Senate mean that Republicans require 60 votes for some budgetary legislation. (The only reason they needed it in this case was because they wanted to pass their tax cut with 50 votes.) But look at the alternative. If your takeaway here is that Democrats were trying to shut down the government what you’re really saying is that Democrats must vote yes on any continuing resolution no matter what is contained in it. That is obviously an untenable position. What we’re losing sight of here is that, yes, Republicans control the entire federal government. This amounted to legislative hostage taking in reverse.

Look at the big picture.

#57 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

If you don’t do it while being Bernie Sanders, it doesn’t count.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#58 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26309 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

Tomasky tells the hard left to chill the f*** out too. He also politisplains the power of a Congressional majority, something the Bernie Bro types cluelessly fail to grasp. Here's that one snippet from an overall very good opinion piece.

The Democrats have two masters to serve—the base, and the people who keep electing the likes of Manchin and Heitkamp and Jon Tester and Claire McCaskill. I’ve written it a hundred times, and I’ll write it a hundred more times, a thousand: Republicans can get congressional majorities solely by revving up their base, and Democrats cannot.

Democrats, if they want majorities, need the base plus—plus the people in West Virginia and North Dakota and Montana who are willing to return Manchin and Heitkamp and Tester to office. You can say let them go, but you’d be an idiot to say that. They’ve been solid votes when it counted (Obamacare), only casting pro-Trump votes when their vote didn’t matter and the final result was a foregone conclusion.

If the Democrats can retake the Senate—not impossible—that would essentially end Trump’s ability to do anything. It would be a much bigger deal than winning the House, if only because of the Senate’s role in judicial nominations.

But if they are to retake it, they’re going to have to win seats in Nevada, Arizona, and maybe Texas (where Ted Cruz might, in theory, be vulnerable to an attractive Democratic challenger), as well as holding those 10 Democratic seats in states that Trump won. That’s not winning in Vermont or Massachusetts.

But there’s very little discussion or realization of all this. And this is why I felt that vacuum cleaner inside my stomach yesterday. The next few weeks have the potential for Democrats of being a re-enactment of Hillary vs. Bernie. If it is, the Republicans will surely win. Trump will surely win.

#59 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5315 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

There were a number of Senators of the Democratic persuasion that voted against this deal. I wonder how many did it knowing that it would pass anyway and so they could tell the complainers that they voted no.

#60 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26309 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 23 January 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

There were a number of Senators of the Democratic persuasion that voted against this deal. I wonder how many did it knowing that it would pass anyway and so they could tell the complainers that they voted no.

From the Tomasky article I'd say many of them.

Democrats have 10 senators up for re-election this fall in states Trump won. We know about the national polls showing 80 and 90 percent support for the Democratic position on the DREAMers, and that’s great. But we don’t know the numbers in Montana, North Dakota, Missouri, Indiana, West Virginia. And all 10 of those senators voted for the motion Monday—not just people you’d expect like Joe Manchin and Heidi Heitkamp, but more liberal senators too, like Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin.

They were joined by Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, whose state Trump almost won. She was the only one of the Democrats commonly named on the 2020 lists to vote for the motion. Interesting. She’s also the only 2020 lister who didn’t co-sponsor Sanders’ Medicare for All bill. Looks like she’s just worrying about getting re-elected first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users