3 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11902 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

https://www.vox.com/...rump-status-quo

"I think if we had had this conversation 10 months ago, I would have said, 'You know, I think we can get beyond Trump.'"

"But now the degree of rationalization by Republicans, among Republicans, the degree of excuse-making for Trump, the degree to which Trump has changed, apparently, Republican voters’ views."

"That, I think, could be temporary, and yeah, they’re susceptible to that. Voters tend to follow the president of their own party that they voted for. But the degree to which he’s sort of changed conservative thinkers’ views, or seems to have, that’s unnerving and worrisome, and makes me think maybe we are in a more fundamental inflection point."

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4256 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

Trump delivered exactly as (many of us had) expected.

I'm not sure who was more deluded: the party establishment, or the party base. I'd guess about equally, but in different ways.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#3 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Really, they have been there for a long time, and Kristol is kidding himself that they haven’t been. Dump has just made plain what the GOP is since Bush the Lesser if not before. Their problem is that they can’t hide the white supremacy, the anti-intelectualism, the anti-science, the authoritarianism, the Putin fetishism any longer.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23983 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

Here's Frum-like lack of self-awareness from Kristol (bold mine). He doesn't really grasp how guilty he is of the same sin. Is it worse now? Sure, but he was an important and influential stepping stone on a straight line descending away from governing through intellectualism and pragmatism and into governing by raw emotion, propaganda, and circuses (without the bread).

Some of that is real, based on stagnant incomes and other things. Some of it is ... people get themselves whipped up and overly unhappy with the way things, are and if politicians can tap into that, people can be very unhappy, even if the objective facts might suggest they shouldn’t be quite that unhappy. At some point, you do have to educate voters and make your case to voters, not just capitulate to them.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users