156 replies to this topic

#21 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9658 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:57 AM

Who's a good boy, Donnie? (Pant, pant, drool)
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#22 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

Somebody knows how to stroke Donny's ego. It's like dealing with a pre-K child.

Israel’s transportation minister is pushing ahead with a plan to dig a railway tunnel under Jerusalem’s Old City, passing near sites holy to Jews, Christians and Muslims — and ending at the Western Wall with a station named after President Donald Trump.

Yisrael Katz’s plan, currently in the initial stages, involves constructing two underground stations and excavating over 2 miles (3 kilometers) of tunnel beneath downtown Jerusalem and under the politically sensitive Old City. The project would extend Jerusalem’s soon-to-open high-speed rail line from Tel Aviv to the Western Wall, the holiest site where Jews can pray.

The route will run close to — but not directly under — the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, where tradition holds that Jesus was crucified and buried, and a contested holy site known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary. Previous excavations by Israel near the holy site — the spiritual epicenter of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict — have sparked violent Palestinian protests.

Because of those sensitivities, the proposal will likely meet with heavy resistance from the Palestinians, neighboring Arab countries and the international community.

Katz, a senior Cabinet official who also serves as Israel’s intelligence minister, is a close ally of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and is seen by many as his likely eventual successor as head of the Likud party.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#23 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1729 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

After years of Dumpster, most Americans will need their own Wailing Wall.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#24 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

pnwguy, on 27 December 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

After years of Dumpster, most Americans will need their own Wailing Wall.

With Trump's penchant for wanton destruction that may end up being a Whaling Wall.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#25 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

Trump signals he may cut off all aid to the Palestinians. Israel first, all the way.

Acknowledging his push to broker peace in the Middle East has stalled, President Donald Trump appeared to threaten to cut off U.S. aid money to the Palestinian Authority, asking why the U.S. should make “any of these massive future payments” when the Palestinians are “no longer willing to talk peace.”

Trump, in a pair of tweets, said “we pay the Palestinians HUNDRED OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS a year and get no appreciation or respect.”

“They don’t even want to negotiate a long overdue … peace treaty with Israel,” he wrote.

Trump infuriated Palestinians and Muslims across the Middle East when he announced late last year that the U.S. would consider Jerusalem the capital of Israel and move its embassy there, upending decades of U.S. policy and igniting protests.

While the Palestinians haven’t closed the door to a potential deal with Israel, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas said the announcement had destroyed Trump’s credibility as a Mideast peace broker, calling the decision “a declaration of withdrawal from the role it has played in the peace process.”

Senior Palestinian leader Hanan Ashrawi said in a statement Wednesday that Trump had “singlehandedly destroyed the very foundations of peace” with his Jerusalem declaration.

#26 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

Wow. You knew this would have been the outcome of announcing the move of the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem? Nobody knew!

The number of security incidents in Israel and the West Bank tripled following US President Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, according to new statistics released by the Shin Bet security service.

On December 6, Trump made his announcement regarding Jerusalem, sparking violent protests by Palestinians in the West Bank and along the Gaza border.

Throughout the month of December, there were 249 terror attacks in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Israel, as compared to 84 in November and 71 in October, according to the Shin Bet’s statistics, which were released this week.

#27 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

So is Mike Pence a staunch supporter of Greater Israel or is he just an idiot? Or both?

Vice President Mike Pence kicked off his visit to Israel with a Monday morning meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in which he said it was an honor to be in “Israel’s capital, Jerusalem.”

Netanyahu told Pence it was the first time a visiting dignitary could utter those three words along with him, and he thanked Pence for President Donald Trump’s “historic” recognition of Jerusalem. The Israeli leader also lauded the American-Israeli alliance, which he said has “never been stronger.”

The brief exchange was part of an exceptionally warm welcome for Pence in Israel, which has praised the Trump administration’s decision last month to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. The decision, though, has infuriated the Palestinians, with whom Pence is not meeting, and upset America’s Arab allies as well.

After further fanning the flames of the idiotic Jerusalem move he went and uttered this nonsense.

Pence said he was grateful to be representing Trump and that his decision to designate Jerusalem as the Israeli capital would “create an opportunity to move on in good faith negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.”

The vice president said he was hopeful “we are at the dawn of a new era of renewed discussions to achieve a peaceful resolution to a decades-long conflict.”

Sooooo, Mikey. Poking your finger in the eye of the Palestinians is going to help bring on "good faith negotiations" how? And how about those continuing settlements? And while you're at it maybe you could say a few words about the recent approval of over 350 new homes plus pushing forward another 770 homes in the occupied West Bank. The Israeli defense of the settlements is pure propaganda worthy of Vladimir Putin.

Israel has given final building approval for 352 homes in settlements in the occupied West Bank, an anti-settlement movement said on Thursday - construction that Palestinians see as jeopardizing their prospects for statehood.

The Peace Now group said a meeting on Wednesday by a planning committee of Israel’s military-run Civil Administration for the West Bank also moved plans for 770 other settler homes to more advanced stages.

Settlements are one of the most heated issues in efforts to revive Israeli-Palestinian peace talks, frozen since 2014.

“I think what Israel is doing is a purposeful, well-planned process of destruction of the two-state solution and possibility of the establishment of a Palestinian state,” Mustafa Barghouti, a Palestinian lawmaker, said of the committee’s decision.

Palestinians want the West Bank for a future state, along with East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip. Most countries consider as illegal the settlements that Israel built in the territory it captured in the 1967 Middle East war.

Israel disputes that its settlements are illegal. Its government says their future should be determined in peace talks and that the Palestinians’ refusal to recognize Israel as a Jewish state and declare an end to a decades-old conflict are the real obstacles to peace.

Some 500,000 Israelis live in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, areas that are home to more than 2.6 million Palestinians.

The two-state solution is clearly dead. If Israel wants to continue to wage war on the Palestinians we need to get ourselves out of it.

#28 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1678 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

Mikey is a fundamentalist who is hoping to bring on Armageddon. He may succeed.

#29 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1729 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

JackD, on 22 January 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

Mikey is a fundamentalist who is hoping to bring on Armageddon. He may succeed.
Look, I detest Dumpster. But it makes me want to puke even more if we end up with President Pence.

Best solution for the country is that the voting public gets off it's ass and strips the POG of congressional majorities in 2018. And from there they just keep thwarting Dumpster until some sane candidate wins in 2020.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#30 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:02 PM

Mike Pence knows where the wind blows in Amurica!

#31 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

nuser, on 22 January 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

Mike Pence knows where the wind blows in Amurica!

Yeah, from Trump's ass. It's just below his orange comb over.

#32 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3668 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

pnwguy, on 22 January 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

Look, I detest Dumpster. But it makes me want to puke even more if we end up with President Pence.

Even more? Not to me. They're generally just going to do the same thing where it comes to policy; be a pulse with a pen. Either one will sign whatever congress sends his way.

However, it's unlikely Pence will need to have it explained to him on a daily basis why we just can't go bomb North Korea.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#33 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

HockeyDon, on 22 January 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

Even more? Not to me. They're generally just going to do the same thing where it comes to policy; be a pulse with a pen. Either one will sign whatever congress sends his way.

However, it's unlikely Pence will need to have it explained to him on a daily basis why we just can't go bomb North Korea.

Increasing it seems likely he (Pence)WILL need to have Daily explanations that he can’t just lock up all non-Christians or nuke Iran...

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#34 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9658 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

HockeyDon, on 22 January 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

Even more? Not to me. They're generally just going to do the same thing where it comes to policy; be a pulse with a pen. Either one will sign whatever this congress sends his way.

FTFY
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#35 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

Progressive whisperer, on 22 January 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

Increasing it seems likely he (Pence)WILL need to have Daily explanations that he can’t just lock up all non-Christians or nuke Iran...

That may be true but you have to admit that Mikey looks pretty dope in long hair and wearing a red robe with green trim.

Posted Image

#36 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

LFC, on 22 January 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

That may be true but you have to admit that Mikey looks pretty dope in long hair and wearing a red robe with green trim.

Posted Image

Mike Pence’s cover of “Sweet Dreams are made of this...”.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#37 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13179 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

pnwguy, on 22 January 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

Best solution for the country is that the voting public gets off it's ass and strips the POG of congressional majorities in 2018. And from there they just keep thwarting Dumpster until some sane candidate wins in 2020.

While I very much agree with your solution I do see an unrestrained Trump as far more worrisome. While Pence may have a Christianist agenda, as mentioned, we would not need to worry as much that Pence would precipitate nuclear Armageddon. A Christianist agenda can be undone, but not a nuclear holocaust.

That said, for the past year I have advocated that the best course for us is to keep Trump as hamstrung as much as possible until the mid terms. A blue wave would make him effectively a lame duck that we could ride it out until 2020. The Dems could take a page from McConnell's play book and deny all nominations by Trump. No Trump favorable legislation would be passed. Given public sentiment I doubt that this approach would be as effective with Pence. Pence may be more reelectable than Trump as well. The Twitler-in-chief adds to the Democratic brand with each outrageous tweet.
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#38 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

AnBr, on 22 January 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

That said, for the past year I have advocated that the best course for us is to keep Trump as hamstrung as possible until the mid terms. A blue wave would make him effectively a lame duck that we could ride it out until 2020. The Dems could take a page from McConnell's play book and deny all nominations by Trump. No Trump favorable legislation would be passed. Given public sentiment I doubt that this approach would be as effective with Pence. Pence may be more reelectable than Trump as well. The Twitler-in-chief adds to the Democratic brand with each outrageous tweet.

My biggest worry for this plan is 538's analysis that the Dems face quite possibly the worst Senate electoral map in modern elections ... for either party. That analysis from that source does not fill me with hope.

#39 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13179 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

True, but do you think that Pence appointments would be any better?
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#40 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

Nikki Haley doesn't want to know about the UN's list of companies doing business in the occupied territories, I guess because they unending, low-grade war on the Palestinians is something we shouldn't talk about.

US Ambassador Nikki Haley on Wednesday slammed a UN report on 206 companies with ties to Israeli settlements as "a waste of time and resources" that showed an "anti-Israeli obsession."

The office of the UN high commissioner for human rights released the report that did not name the companies but could pave the way to a "blacklist" of businesses that Israeli officials fear would be targeted for an international boycott.

"This whole issue is outside the bounds of the High Commissioner for Human Rights office's mandate and is a waste of time and resources," Haley said in a statement.

The report was in response to a resolution adopted in 2016 by the UN Human Rights Council that called for the creation of database of all companies doing business with the Israeli settlements, which the United Nations considers illegal under international law.

"While we note that they wisely refrained from listing individual companies, the fact that the report was issued at all is yet another reminder of the Council's anti-Israel obsession," said Haley.

"The United States will continue to aggressively push back against the anti-Israel bias, and advance badly needed reforms of the Council," she added.

Of the 206 companies under review, 143 are based in Israel or in the settlements, 22 in the United States, seven in Germany, five in the Netherlands and four in France.

The report had been due to be released last year but was repeatedly delayed.

Israel's UN Ambassador Danny Danon strongly condemned the report, calling it a "shameful act, which will serve as a stain on the UNHRC forever."

That's a hell of a lot of whining over something that they feel shouldn't mean a thing. Hmmmmm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users