479 replies to this topic

#41 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

White supremacists killed 18 people last year. Thanks, Trump, for your support of these "fine people."

White supremacists not only shed their masks in 2017 but unleashed one of the deadliest years for extremist violence in almost half a century. Over the past 12 months, white supremacists committed the largest number of domestic-extremist related killings, helping to make 2017 the fifth-deadliest year for extremist violence since 1970, according to a newly released report from the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism.

The center counted a total of 34 people killed by domestic extremists, of which 18 were killed by white supremacists, more than double the number of the previous year. In the last decade, right-wing extremism made up 71 percent of extremist-related murders compared to 26 percent of murders by Islamic extremists.

The overall number of deaths attributed to domestic extremists has declined—from 71 people in 2016 and 69 in 2015. The report attributes the fall to a drop in extremist-related mass-shooting sprees like the one Omar Mateen carried out when he killed 49 people at the Orlando Pulse nightclub in 2016.

Even with the decline, the resurgence in white supremacy has politicians raising questions. Democratic Senator Kamala Harris tweeted out Tuesday that she was deeply troubled that the Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen “failed to mention” domestic acts of terror during a Tuesday Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on threats to the U.S.

Nielsen was testifying on a new report by the Department of Homeland Security that studied the number of immigrants taken into custody for terrorism-related activities. The report was part of President Donald Trump’s executive order to protect the nation from “foreign terrorist entry” to the U.S.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#42 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9311 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

View PostLFC, on 17 January 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

White supremacists killed 18 people last year. Thanks, Trump, for your support of these "fine people."

Sounds awfully low.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#43 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3622 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:10 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 17 January 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

Sounds awfully low.

Incidents covered in the 'Police Behaving Badly' thread don't count.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#44 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

Nice girls from Utah.

wo students at Hurricane High School Utah are facing disciplinary action after posting a racist photo on Instagram on Martin Luther King Day that wished people a “happy national n*gger day.”

As local news station KUTV reports, the photo features a girl with a noose around her neck and with red Xs superimposed over her eyes.

Steven Dunham, the director of public relations at the Washington County School district, said that two students responsible for the photo were being punished for their actions, although he did not outline what the consequences for the photo were.

“We have a safe schools policy and if they are not making other students feel safe in our own schools, in our own community, [there] is significant in the punishments that they could face,” he told KUTV.

Hurricane High School principal Jody Rich slammed the students’ “thoughtless actions” and urged students to reflect upon the importance of tolerance on Martin Luther King Day.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#45 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

It's a steep price to pay when you're a racist.

After a Milwaukee city contractor’s employees were outed with guns and white supremacist iconography on work sites, the company is slated to lose upwards of $1 million.

As the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported, American Sewer Services was denied two contracts worth $800,000 after the Milwaukee Common Council passed a resolution against them. They are also prohibited from re-bidding on either contract.

In December, controversy roiled after a photo of a Ku Klux Klan sticker on an American Sewer Services employees’ cooler went viral. In addition to the bigoted sticker, a photo of the company’s employees holding guns on a work site also circulated, compounding the backlash against the company.

#46 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

Nice talk, sugarlips. I wonder if he started his diatribe with "I'm not a racist but..."

In a video posted to YouTube by CRTV — and flagged by Right Wing Watch — controversial commentator Gavin McInnes used inflammatory language to describe the black Democrat.

McInnes was addressing Booker’s relentless pursuit of answers from the DHS secretary over President Donald Trump’s comments about Haiti and African nations — calling them “sh*tholes” — which riled up conservatives who believe the Democrat was bullying her.

According to McInnes, Booker’s questioning was all for show.

“I just realized something. Cory Booker is kind of like Sambo. He’s kind of shucking and jiving for the white man. Cory Booker grew up rich in an all-white suburb. He’s basically a white guy. His parents were very wealthy executives at IBM,” McInnes stated. “But he wants to be a black dude, so he pretends that he’s down with the brothers and he acts outraged about racism all the time—for white people. That gets him votes from whites.”

McInnes included ex-President Barack Obama in his attack

“Yes, he gets the black vote. Anyone black gets the black vote,” he asserted. “Obama was the least black man I’ve ever seen in my life and he got all the black vote. But what these guys are really trying to get is white votes because that’s the majority of people in this country. If you’re in Japan, you want Japanese votes,”

“And so he plays up the race card again and again, and what a disappointment to his parents. They didn’t play the race card, they just busted their asses and made tons and tons of money. What does he do? He just gets up there and performs for the white man pretending to be from the hood,” he said of the former Newark mayor who ascended to the U.S. Senate in 2013.

#47 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

I'm not a racist but can't we all just agree to separate ourselves by race?

Tom Kawczynski, the town manager of Jackman, Maine, was fired from his position on Tuesday after it was revealed that he advocated for white people “voluntarily separating” themselves from other races.

In response to his firing, which CentralMaine.com reports was voted on by the town’s board of selectmen Tuesday morning, Kawczynski made a public statement saying he accepted the board’s severance package and would step down for the good of the town.

However, Kawczynski also defiantly defended himself from charges of racism by saying that he had no ill will toward any other person based on their race, religion or ethnicity.

“What happened that caused this situation was an expression of what I said that was inaccurate, and I will be talking in the future in further days to further clarify my views,” he insisted. “I reject categorically the suggestion that I am a racist, a bigot, a Nazi, or any of the other foul names which have been attributed to me or my wife.”

Kawczynski first came under fire after it was revealed that he wrote about race separation on the website for his own “New Albion” movement.

“For the people of New England, our folk are white people of European ancestry and ideas, emphasizing the value of work, communing with nature and a society based upon order,” he wrote. “While I am not an absolutist on race understanding, the many complications created by the American system, I do believe to the extent we voluntarily separate, the happier every group will be as they regain self-determination.”

Kawczynski has also claimed that Nazis were unfairly demonized as villains when in reality they were just committed nationalists, and has also said that all immigration to the United States should be stopped.

#48 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

I'm not a racist but turn that n***er shit off!

An Alabama high school teacher was placed on paid leave for using a racial slur to complain about music students were playing in class last week.

Students are allowed to listen to music in teacher Teddie Butcher’s food and nutrition class, but they said she complained about a song they’d chosen Friday while working on a project, reported AL.com.

The students were listening to “Dear Mama,” by Tupac, when the white teacher returned to class.

According to multiple witnesses, Butcher told students to “turn the n*gger tunes off.”

Students and their parents complained to Hoover High School administrators, and Butcher admitted to using the slur.

Butcher told the school superintendent that she was upset by profanity in the 1995 song, but parent Shenita Morrow said the lyrics do not contain any foul language.

Morrow, who is black, said she’s most concerned about the “comfort level” Butcher displayed in using the slur.

School officials said Butcher apologized to students Monday, and she met privately with Morrow and her daughter.

“After meeting with her, it’s just baffling to me how someone does not understand the severity of the weight of that word,” Morrow said.

The incident remains under investigation, but students said school officials made them delete video evidence of Butcher using the slur.

#49 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

View PostLFC, on 23 January 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

I dunno. Kinda Polish sounding name there, dude. I’d bet a lot of people with similar names were on the wrong side of the fence at Nazi “camps”.

Also, non-English people were not “white” in Northern New England for a long time. A book I was reading recently quoted a Maine newspaper about the first train into town in the 1880s carrying “twenty eight passengers and a Frenchman”, presumably a French Canadian.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#50 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

Sometimes it's just casual. It's amazing that people who are teaching children couldn't figure out this was inappropriate. I would like to say that the fact that this came out of a Christian school shocked me but it really didn't. After all the Bible does not condemn slavery and if fact instructs slaves to be faithful and owners to be kind.

A Wisconsin private school that asked fourth graders to list three good reasons for slavery and three bad ones apologized to parents after the mother of a black student shared the assignment on Facebook, calling it offensive.

In a letter to parents Tuesday, Our Redeemer Lutheran School in Wauwatosa agreed the homework was offensive and said it “showed a lack of sensitivity.” It also thanked the student’s mother for bringing the issue to their attention.

“Our Redeemer regrets deeply an unjustifiable assignment on slavery earlier this week,” Principal Jim Van Dellen said in a statement to The Associated Press on Thursday. The statement went on to say that the church and school “work hard to promote the human dignity of all people, and this assignment did not reflect our core values or practices.”

Trameka Brown-Berry, the parent who shared the assignment online, said the school explained the assignment as a way to have students think about why white people once thought it OK to own slaves. She said it’s good for students to learn about slavery but that the assignment’s question was shocking.

“You wouldn’t ask someone to list three good reasons for rape or three good reasons for the Holocaust,” she said.

She posted a picture of the assignment Monday evening after seeing her 9-year-old son, Jerome, struggling with his homework and “looking real confused.” She saw he’d already listed bad reasons for slavery — “making them do your chores,” splitting up families and “punishing them.” He made sure to mention he is proud to be black.

But his mother said he couldn’t think of any good reasons for slavery. She said she suggested he just write how he felt so he wrote: “I feel there is no good reason for slavery that’s why I did not write.”

Brown-Berry said the school responded quickly to her concerns and agreed to her suggestions for addressing the matter, including written and verbal apologies to students and parents and cultural diversity training for staff. She said the teacher has also apologized to students.

Van Dellen said in his statement to the AP that they “are working with the African-American community to guide our educational goals and create important dialogues in our church and school.”

Dude, if you need to work "with the African-American community" to figure this one out then you don't belong in a school. And I don't mean as the principal, I mean you shouldn't even be allowed to set foot on school grounds.

#51 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

As I said before, sometimes it's just casual. I'm sure if asked to repeat this he'd start with "I'm not a racist but..."

The editorial board for the New Jersey Star Ledger, an online newspaper for the Garden State, on Wednesday slammed state Sen. Mike Doherty ® over comments he made during a discussion about pay parity for women.

Last week, Doherty interjected as his colleagues tried to explain the gender pay gap, imploring fellow senators to stop singling out white men.

“Just because I’m a member of a certain group doesn’t mean that I can be denigrated over and over again,” Doherty said. “It’s got to stop at some point.”

“It’s almost bullying,” he later whined.

The Star Ledger was unmoved by Doherty’s complaints.

“When we last checked in with Sen. Mike Doherty, he was lamenting how hard it is to be a white man in America,” the editorial board wrote.

“Now, in a Record column by Mike Kelly that profiles him as President Trump’s lonely cheerleader in New Jersey, Doherty says the U.S. shouldn’t take any more immigrants from certain countries: ‘non-European’ nations that are not part of a ‘Judeo-Christian culture,’” the Star Ledger explained. “Get his drift?”

The paper noted Doherty—after worrying about people feeling “uncomfortable” with cultural changes—also griped that people don’t publicly admit they want “to have a homeland” with a “common culture” and language.

“Why don’t people say this publicly?” the Star Ledger asked. “Maybe because they don’t want to be revealed as bigots. Thank you, Sen. Mike Doherty, for just admitting it.”

“You’d think an Irish guy would recognize that the same know-nothing, anti-immigrant words were once used against his own people, and learn a lesson from this,” the paper said. “But no. Doherty has no clue what really makes America great.”

The Star Ledger compared Doherty’s words with those of former KKK grand wizard David Duke, arguing “we lose America” when we lose “white dominance in America.”

“People do want to feel comfortable in their homeland, Sen. Doherty,” the editorial board shot back. “So what about the rest of us, who feel uncomfortable around this kind of bigotry?”

#52 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:58 AM

View PostLFC, on 01 February 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

As I said before, sometimes it's just casual. I'm sure if asked to repeat this he'd start with "I'm not a racist but..."

Hey, the Irish made it to “white” standards, now he wants his turn punching down at those who haven’t made it, and those slutty wimins.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#53 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:31 PM

The latest mass murderer was a member of and received training from a Florida based white nationalist group.

The alleged gunman behind the deaths of 17 people Wednesday trained with a group seeking the “creation of a white ethnostate,” a representative of the group told multiple outlets Thursday.

After Nikolas Cruz was arrested and charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder for allegedly opening fire in and around Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Wednesday, details of his obsession with guns and history of disciplinary trouble quickly emerged.

But on Thursday, new information surfaced about his possible affiliation with a white supremacist group, the Republic of Florida (ROF).

The group’s self-identified leader, Jordan Jereb, told the Anti-Defamation League that Cruz had participated in at least one training exercise in the Tallahassee area, and that he’d carpooled with other ROF members from South Florida.

Lt. Grady Jordan of the Leon County Sheriff’s Office told the Tallahassee Democrat that the office hadn’t yet found a connection between Cruz and the group.

ROF identifies itself as a “white civil rights organization fighting for white identitarian politics.” The group says its ultimate goal is to make Florida a “white ethnostate.” The Los Angeles Times noted that a training video posted online by the group is accompanied by music with the lyrics “They call me Nazi / and I’m proud of it.” The group’s policy demands include “[a]n end to policies that demographically replace Floridian Whites.”

Jereb told the Daily Beast that Cruz “was part of our organization” and that “he probably used that training to do what he did yesterday. Nobody I know told him to do that, he just freaked out.”

“I know he knew full well he was joining a white separatist paramilitary proto-facist organization,” Jereb told the Daily Beast. “I know he knew that much.”

Jereb also told the Daily Beast that Cruz “seemed like just a normal, disenfranchised, young white man,” and added: “[W]e’re not a big fan of Jews. I think there were a lot of Jews at the school that might have been messing with him.”

#54 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

What's a white supremacist group doing hanging out with someone named Cruz*?

*unless, of course, his first name is Ted.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#55 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

He is red haired and freckled, so I think he qualifies.

The RWNJs are all about pretending he is something, despite the pics wherein aMAGA hat.

Spelling and graphic arts ain’t their strong suit either:

http://www.lawyersgu...-he-radicalized

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#56 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5537 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 15 February 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

He is red haired and freckled, so I think he qualifies.

All this intermarriage of ethnic groups and races and then adoptions makes life confusing for those who like to label people and then analyze things by label.

#57 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

Trump certainly seems to be excelling at firing up new hate groups.

The number of U.S. hate groups expanded last year under President Donald Trump, fueled by his immigration stance and the perception that he sympathized with those espousing white supremacy, the Southern Poverty Law Center said on Wednesday

There were 954 hate groups in the country in 2017, marking a 4 percent increase over the previous year when the number rose 2.8 percent, the civil rights watchdog said in its annual census of such groups.

Since 2014, the number has jumped 20 percent, it said.

Among the more than 600 white supremacist groups, neo-Nazi organizations rose to 121 from 99. Anti-Muslim groups increased for a third year in a row, to 114 from 101 in 2016, the report said.

Last year brought “a substantial emboldening of the radical right, and that is largely due to the actions of President Trump, who’s tweeted out hate materials and made light of the threats to our society posed by hate groups,” Heidi Beirich, director of the SPLC’s Intelligence Project, told reporters.

#58 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

White supremacists defending a Confederate statue sneak away in the face of many more counter-protesters.

After rumors swirled that white supremacists intended to hold a rally at the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill to defend their “Silent Sam” Confederate statue, counter-protesters showed up large numbers to resist their message.

Just a day after the final charges against anti-racist counter-protesters were dropped after a similar protest led to a Confederate statue being torn down in nearby Durham, students and activists rallied on UNC’s campus in response to yet another alleged white supremacist rally.

Around 3 p.m., Tim Pulliam of local news station ABC 11 noted that there was “no sign” of the rumored Confederate statue defenders as their counter-protesters swelled in number.

#59 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

Heck, he tweeted out things from white supremicist web sites. I don’t know if he found them himself or the kids, Bannon or Miller forwarded them to him, but it doesn’t matter.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#60 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9311 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

View PostLFC, on 21 February 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

White supremacists defending a Confederate statue sneak away in the face of many more counter-protesters.

I wish some of the folk tearing down Confederate statues would check the photos of people tearing down Saddam Hussein's statue and pose for photographs to match.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users