All things American White Supremacy

565 replies to this topic

#21 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:52 AM

Dr. D, you not only moved the goal posts but revealed some (I’d assume) unintentional bias.

The Amazonian is a weird case to use, because clearly you are seeing this person and apparently know exactly what they are. The case being described would be seeing someone who appeared to be a South American native, dressed in primitive fashion, in an unexplored part of the Amazon basin. Suppose for a moment that you are on an exploration of the Amazon, and encounter an individual who appears to be a native. You assume, for what ever reason, that he or she is from an un-contacted tribe, and react accordingly (in this case, assume they know nothing of the modern world) only to discover that the person is a well-educated anthropologist living with a native group while studying them?

More revealing is your reply about a black and a white man wearing the same clothes. You jump to “inner city” when there is no reason what-so-ever the example couldn’t be both men wearing Armani suits and Rolex watches, or anywhere in between.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#22 drdredel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 01 December 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

Dr. D, you not only moved the goal posts but revealed some (I’d assume) unintentional bias.

Not sure where the goal posts are moved but I'll address your comments below. And my bias is absolutely intentional (as is yours and everyone else's; it's how we're wired).

The Amazonian is a weird case to use, because clearly you are seeing this person and apparently know exactly what they are. The case being described would be seeing someone who appeared to be a South American native, dressed in primitive fashion, in an unexplored part of the Amazon basin. Suppose for a moment that you are on an exploration of the Amazon, and encounter an individual who appears to be a native. You assume, for what ever reason, that he or she is from an un-contacted tribe, and react accordingly (in this case, assume they know nothing of the modern world) only to discover that the person is a well-educated anthropologist living with a native group while studying them?

Hence my repeated acknowledgment that one needs to be prepared to adjust their preconceived notions when the evidence shows that they're wrong. My examples are usually reductio absurdum because when you look at extreme cases it's much easier to work your way back towards the less egregious.

You see a pitbull - you prepare yourself for the worst-case scenario. Then you see that it's a harmless friendly pitbull. You alter your expectations about THIS particular creature, but you retain your overall bias about pit bulls in general. Eventually, you read a study that tells you that pit bulls are, on the whole, docile and that they have a bad reputation because some small subset of them were trained to be vicious. Hopefully you can adjust your biases further.

But your initial assumption (even if it was wrong) was useful and based on something in the real world. Also, I'm only using examples here of "bad" things, but bias isn't restricted to negative traits. As I said earlier, a massive majority of Japanese women are very low-key. This is how women are brought up in Japan. I'm not prepared to say if this is a better or worse way to raise children but I am surprised when I meet a Japanese woman who defies this stereotype.

More revealing is your reply about a black and a white man wearing the same clothes. You jump to “inner city” when there is no reason what-so-ever the example couldn’t be both men wearing Armani suits and Rolex watches, or anywhere in between.

Here I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was specifically referring to a particular outfit ensemble designed to signal inner-city tough youth. It doesn't matter if this outfit is combined with a Rolex and it *can't be combined with an Armani suit because that's the whole point of the outfit - it's *not an Armani suit - it's pants whose waistband is somewhere near the upper thigh and a hoodie and a baseball cap, and a couple of gold teeth. Someone who dresses this way is doing so because this helps them fit into some particular social circle, but it's entirely reasonable to ascribe to them certain assumptions which *might be false but most likely are not.
The Blind have lost their sense of "sight";
The Deaf have lost their sense of "hearing";
Republicans have lost their sense of "common".

#23 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:02 PM

During the end of W.W.2 asking my mother about the Holocaust
And what did those victim do to deserve their fate and what did they
look like ,she became very angry and replied; they looked like people
And did not do a damned thing! My mother had a terrible temperament
but got that one right.

#24 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

From the "I'm not a racist but..." files. The attempt at explaining his remarks sounds kind of pathetic and not coming close to touching what he really sai.

obert Wren, the deputy police chief at Mt. San Antonio College in California, came under fire recently after he told a students that “police brutality is an absolute myth.”

The Daily Bulletin reported that Wren made the remarks about police brutality in an interview with the student newspaper on Nov 21.

The comments came as the police department is pushing to arm its on-campus deputies.

“I know from 31 years of doing this that (racial profiling) doesn’t exist,” Wren was quoted as saying. “Police brutality is an absolute myth — a complete, utter, debunked myth.”

Wren had an opportunity to address the remarks during a town hall event last week.

According to the SAC on Scene Twitter account, Wren took responsibility for his opinion, insisting that the “statement I made to a journalism student, that is on me.”

But the deputy chief further ignited the firestorm by downplaying concerns about policy profiling.

“On this campus only 11% of the campus is white. So on profiling minorities on this campus whites are minorities,” Wren said.

Mt. SAC Police Chief Dave Wilson tried to clear up Wren’s remarks in a statement on Saturday.

“The reality of it is, we look for criminal behavior, not so much skin color or ethnicity or gender or anything like that, and that’s kind of what he was trying to convey,” Wilson stated. “There are some racist jerks out there. But is it pervasive? Is it as big of a problem as some media outlets would portray it to be? That has not been my experience, and that has not been Deputy Chief Wren’s experience.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#25 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

I'll post this here though I think it's in the wrong forum. It's simply impossible to separate white supremacy in this country from politics.

This piece was written by somebody who grew up in what is now Trump country and has many relatives who buy right into all of it. This part about their belief in the Constitution particularly resonated with me very strongly because it lays out writings and comments I've been witnessing for years, accelerating with Trump.

After Trump’s election, YouGov released a poll that shocked the country. In it, 35% of people voting for Donald Trump admitted to having a favorable opinion of Russian President Vladimir Putin, nearly four times as many as those who held a favorable opinion of outgoing President Barack Obama. How was it, people asked, that anyone could possibly prefer a foreign authoritarian who had murdered his opponents and cracked down on dissenters?

Unfortunately, this problem isn’t as new as it seems. The base that supports Trump, and, by extension, approves of thugs like Putin, have been here for as long as there’s been a country. The ideological ancestors of people like my family, and Trump’s continued base, are those who defended the scourge of slavery in the writing of the Constitution and in blood during the Civil War. Their roots can be traced back to those same Confederates who, despite claiming to be patriots, seceded from the Union when their practice of owning slaves was endangered.

Simply put, people like this have never been interested in the principles the United States of America were founded upon. The framers of the Constitution, against the backdrop of the Enlightenment, meant for America to be a free republic that progressed and realized that age’s potential. In a sense, the Founding Fathers gave us an aspirational document that would establish the idea of freedom and challenge us to continue to hold it and improve as we did.

My relatives, and others like them, have clung to that Constitution when it has served their interests, primarily the 2nd Amendment, which protects their guns, and occasionally the 1st Amendment, when they feel pressured by shared society. But they are quick to abandon the Constitution when it suits their interests. I’ve heard them regularly disrespect due process and the banning against cruel unusual punishment when the defendant is somebody they disagree with or dislike. The media they consume, both in the form of Fox News and their movies and television shows, showcase a country where the Constitution has been corrupted and vigilantes and strong men are needed to bring order back to bear. They hoard weapons, supplies, and daydream about the day the government will fall and they’ll be free to remake the country as they see fit.

I cannot say they are fascists, but I can definitely say they hold fascist ideas. This is why they hardly blink when Donald Trump quickly erodes the normal order of the government, why they’re not concerned when he undermines the Freedom of the Press or cozies up to authoritarian leaders. They love it when he tells policemen to be rough on suspects. They want someone who plays nuclear chicken with a despot while the lives of hundreds of million innocent people lie in the balance.

In this first year of the Trump presidency, it is now obvious that his base is not only loyal, but perfectly fine with and accepting of authoritarianism and fascist ideology. They’ve stood by their avatar as he called white supremacists who marched on Charlottesville, Virginia with fascist paraphernalia and chanting Nazi slogans “good people,” even after that rally caused the murder of Heather Hyer. They’ve cheered him on as he’s tried to manipulate the Department of Justice into prosecuting his political rival Hillary Clinton. And now, in recent weeks, they’ve shown a willingness to support a serial child predator in Roy Moore if it means maintaining power.

While Trump’s behavior and Moore’s shameful bid to win Alabama’s senate seat should give us pause, we need to be careful in not just focusing on our current predicament. Trump is an existential threat on our democracy and Moore is a sign of just how badly we’ve backslid, but they are not the totality of this problem. They’re symptoms of a much larger disease that has always threatened this country and has now grown and rested power over the government. Long after Trump is out of office, and after history has forgotten Roy Moore, we’ll still be dealing with fellow citizens who have fascistic sympathies and ideals, and heaven help us if anyone more competent than Donald Trump figures out how to play to their worst instincts.

We can’t forget, after all, that we’re surrounded.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#26 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

Oh, this is too good.

House Republicans in Tennessee have called for a probe into the city of Memphis’ removal of two confederate statues overnight. The city cleverly “sold” two public parks on Wednesday for $1,000 each in order to go around state law and remove the statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Confederate general and early Ku Klux Klan leader Nathan Bedford Forrest. House Republican caucus chairman Ryan Williams and House Majority Leader Glen Casada said on Thursday that they will begin to investigate the matter and “recommend action to the full body of the legislature.”

#27 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10272 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

Nice of them to stop pretending.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#28 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6134 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Tennesse is such an interesting state. When I lived there starting 40 years ago before the Reagan years the eastern third of the state was Republican, holdovers from the Whig Party, while the middle and western was Yellow Dog Democrat. Folklore said East Tennessee almost broke away from the rest of the state like West Virginia did. In 1978 Lamar Alexander was the first Republican elected governor since the Reconstruction. Lots of damn Yankees were moving in because corporations were looking for non-union employees and middle management types like my dad moved with them. Religion was important. The first question to a newcomer was what church did you go to.

Now I return to see solid Republicans except for Memphis, In God We Trust in shiny new letters over courthouse entries, and huge crosses near the interstate. There is new development in and around Nashville bringing in new people but the overall tenor of the state remains very conservative, especially on God, guns and Trump.

#29 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9371 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 22 December 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

The first question to a newcomer was what church did you go to.

Still a question that gets asked first of newcomers around where I live. Of course my county also went 70-30 for Trump, which also rivals the results in even the reddest parts of TN.

#30 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

I did some work in eastern TN in the 80s. Religion and racism were integral to the fabric of their society. I don't know if I've ever felt more out of place anywhere else in America.

#31 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

Two South Carolina Republicans apparently want to create the appearance of balance by erecting a memorial to blacks who fought for the Confederacy. The problem is that there's no evidence that any actually existed. Exposed racist smokescreen or chumps falling for racist lies? We report, you decide.

wo South Carolina legislators who sponsored a bill to erect a monument to African-American Confederate Veterans were confronted over the weekend with new evidence that the men they wish to honor never existed.

In October, state Representatives Bill Chumley ® and Mike Burns ® announced that they would file a bill ahead of the state’s January legislative session that would add a monument to African-American confederate war veterans on the statehouse grounds. As this article in the Post and Courier from October 9th notes, this is despite the fact that historians consider the idea of African-American Confederate veterans a myth which grew up in the post-Civil Rights Era as emblems and symbols of the Confederacy became more universally identified with racism.

As historian Walter Edgar told The State newspaper, not only is there no evidence of any black South Carolina soldiers fighting for the Confederacy, the state specifically rejected free blacks volunteers at the outset off the war because of longstanding opposition to arming blacks, free or enslaved. As Edgar put it, “any African-American who served in a Confederate unit in South Carolina was either a slave or an unpaid laborer working against his will.”

The specifics of this story challenge my ability to pry apart pure bad faith and from its second cousin, willful self-delusion.

#32 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6134 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

View PostLFC, on 02 January 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

Two South Carolina Republicans apparently want to create the appearance of balance by erecting a memorial to blacks who fought for the Confederacy. The problem is that there's no evidence that any actually existed. Exposed racist smokescreen or chumps falling for racist lies? We report, you decide.

They don't have to actually build a memorial. They just have to say they will (if they find anyone to memorialize).

#33 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

This tickles the “blacks had it good under slavery, until those bad Yankees FORCED them away from their owner/families” crew. And yes, that is an actual argument you can find among the more deluded lost-cause crowd.

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#34 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

He sounds like a nice, wholesome, all-American boy.

A former game warden in Brown County, Texas was fired last year after it was revealed that he sent hundreds of racist and sexist text messages.

Local news station KTXS reports that former Brown County Game Warden David Bosecker was fired after an internal affairs investigation conducted by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department found that he had sent multiple offensive text messages, including memes that mocked black girls for not having fathers and that compared former President Barack Obama to a chimp.

“Is there anything in there that could be construed as being racial or racist?” an investigator asked Bosecker during an interview.

“I’m sure there is, I have no doubt,” the former game warden replied.

“If somebody of a different ethnicity saw these images, do you think they would be offended?” the investigator asked.

“They could be,” he replied. “If it was sent out in public, it could be offensive.”

According to KTXS, “Bosecker sent more than a hundred obscene messages,” including a “text describing Hispanics using a derogatory term.” Bosecker sent the messages to a resident of Brownwood, Texas, who filed a formal complaint about the offensive texts.

#35 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostLFC, on 04 January 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

He sounds like a nice, wholesome, all-American boy.

So he thought this person agreed with him, so sending them (from his work account) was fine? But obviously didn’t make SURE the receipent was okay with it.

Or was it intimidation?

Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#36 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

Another day, another dirtbag exposed.

Catholic substitute teacher in Maryland was fired after his ties to a prominent white nationalist think tank were exposed.

Gregory Conte, a substitute teacher and field hockey coach at the all-girl Academy of the Holy Cross in Kensington, lost his job when school authorities discovered that he was director of operations at the National Policy Institute, led by white nationalist provocateur Richard Spencer.

Fox5DC reports that Conte had worked at the school since 2014, which had been aware of his affiliation with the NPI since October but only recently decided to fire him.

Conte used the alias Gregory Ritter while working with the NPI and on Twitter, where his profile links to Spencer’s AltRight.Com website. In an August podcast on the site, he discusses attending the notorious Unite the Right white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, alongside Spencer.

In a January 3 tweet, Conte wrote "Hitler did not commit any crime!"

His association with the NPI was first reported on December 8 by news website Splinter, which claimed he had also overseen the fair hiring practices at a technical recruiting firm in Maryland and formed a company in Wyoming called Tyr 1 Security.

In a letter to parents cited by WJLA, school CEO and president Kathleen Ryan Prebble explained the decision to fire Conte.

“Prior to his firing, he was successfully using an alternate identity in his work with this atrocious group,” she wrote.

#37 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

Alex Jones brings forth his inner cracker. Thanks, Trump, for bringing this kind of vile hate out into the mainstream.

Professional conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Monday lashed out at Oprah Winfrey over reports that she may be considering a presidential run in 2020.

After Winfrey delivered an inspiring speech at Sunday’s Golden Globe Awards, Jones launched an attack on the media tycoon during his Monday radio broadcast, according to Media Matters.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I have always broken down the fact that Oprah Winfrey is a top globalist, a top eugenicist, who pushes a one world religion through her private foundation,” he ranted. “She’s even got a new age movie coming out to brainwash the children. Well they’ve readied her to run against Trump in 2020 and to fire that campaign up in about a year. But we know the secrets about Oprah Winfrey that they don’t want you to know.”

Jones predicted that Winfrey would “never be elected president because the skeletons in her closet.”

“They want to call Trump a Nazi?” Jones quipped. “Look out, lady, we know what you’re designed to do. You’re the black face to carry out the enslavement of black folks and everybody else.”

#38 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

And who thought this was appropriate?

he Swedish clothing company H&M apologized Monday for using a black boy as a model for a hoodie that says "Coolest Monkey In The Jungle."

"This image has now been removed from all H&M channels and we apologise to anyone this may have offended," the company said in a statement after social media uproar over the photo.

The boy in the picture was not identified and H&M offered no explanation for the image. The hoodie, which was sold the company's United Kingdom online store, was first noticed after writer Stephanie Yeboah posted a screenshot Sunday and tweeted, "Whose idea it was at [H&M] to have this little sweet black boy wear a jumper that says 'coolest monkey in the jungle'? I mean. What."

Posted Image

#39 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

From the near endless files of I'm not a racist but...

A Kansas state Republican lawmaker resurrected a Jim Crow myth that African Americans are genetically predisposed to handle marijuana more poorly than other races during a speech over the weekend.

As the Garden City Telegram reported, State Rep. Steve Alford ® told an all-white crowd that marijuana was criminalized during the prohibition era in the 1930’s primarily because of black marijuana use when asked a question by a member of the local Democratic party about potential economic boons from cannabis legalization.

“What you really need to do is go back in the ’30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs in Kansas (and) across the United States,” Alford said. “What was the reason why they did that? One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst off to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that.”

As the Telegram noted in their report, Alford’s comments referenced a belief promoted by marijuana prohibitionist Harry Anslinger, the founding commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics.

“Under Anslinger’s leadership, the FBN came to be considered responsible for the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937,” the report noted, “regulating cannabis and further taxing it to the ultimate detriment of the hemp industry that was booming at the time.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men,” Anslinger said once when explaining why marijuana supposedly caused crime and violence. The commissioner also fought for the prohibition of cannabis due to “its effect on the degenerate races,” the Telegram noted.

#40 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

Another scumbag is outed. Have fun, asshole, now that people know who (and what) you are.

In video obtained by the Sandpoint Reader from the local police department, an Idaho man was confronted by the police for allegedly distributing racist CD’s and flyers around the city — including at a school.

According to the KHQ, police confronted Scott Rhodes at his home where he was told, “Well we’re here to talk to you about the CDs and the fliers that you put out,” before informing him that he is banned from Lake Pend Oreille School District property for over a year.

Rhodes replied that he was innocent, before telling the Sandpoint Police Department officers that they should talk to his lawyer.

“We know it’s you, we’ve had you on our radar handing out the fliers, putting them on lawns, we know you went to the school,” one officer explained, with another adding, “We’ve got you on video, four cameras out to the front.”

According to the report, the flyers in question attacked the local mayor, portraying him inside of a gas chamber, and called on locals to “keep Idaho white.”

The report also notes that police in Alexandria, Virginia have also contacted Sandpoint police about threatening calls that have been traced back to a phone owned by Rhodes.

Police state that Rhodes is not breaking any laws other than trespassing on school property.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users