679 replies to this topic

#661 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:20 AM

Trump gives yet another big, morbidly obese bear hug to his racist base. F*** the troops. We NEED to keep our bases named after traitors! Bonus points for repeating his racist crack at Elizabeth Warren.

President Trump vowed late Tuesday that he would veto this year’s proposed $740 billion annual defense bill if an amendment is included that would require the renaming of bases named after Confederate military leaders.

The pledge to veto the amendment came in a late night tweet reaffirming Trump’s earlier claim to “not even consider the renaming” of military bases as part of the National Defense Authorization Act.

The president mocked Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) who sponsored the amendment calling her “Pocahontas” in a late night tweet that condemned the amendment which would require the renaming of 10 bases named after Confederate generals and the removal of Confederate likenesses, symbols and paraphernalia from defense facilities across the country within three years..

The amendment was approved in June by the Republican-led Senate Armed Services Committee, and represents for some a litmus test of the country’s sentiment toward adopting an anti-racist posture at a time when nationwide protests over racial injustice and police violence continue in the wake of the Minneapolis police killing of George Floyd in May.

That's right, Donald. You go full metal racist before November and we'll see how it plays out for you.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#662 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:31 PM

Stonewall Jackson just got the boot from Richmond!

Work crews wielding a giant crane, harnesses and power tools wrested an imposing statue of Gen. Stonewall Jackson from its concrete pedestal along Richmond, Virginia’s famed Monument Avenue on Wednesday, just hours after the mayor ordered the removal of all Confederate statues from city land.

Mayor Levar Stoney’s decree came weeks after Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam ordered the removal of the most prominent and imposing statue along the avenue: that of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, which sits on state land. The removal of the Lee statue has been stalled pending the resolution of two lawsuits.

Work crews spent several hours carefully attaching a harness to the massive Stonewall Jackson statue and using power tools to detach it from its base. A crowd of several hundred people who had gathered to watch cheered as a crane lifted the figure of the general atop his horse into the air and set it aside.

“This is long overdue,” said Brent Holmes, who is Black. “One down, many more to go.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#663 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:01 PM

Two more. The first is just a douche nozzle.
https://www.rawstory...n-neighborhood/

This utter nutter is just dangerous. She was arrested.
https://www.rawstory...r-with-her-car/

#664 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:38 AM

Britain is getting in on the anti-racist monument movements.

Hilary Banks, 68, a stalwart of Bristol’s Jamaican community, was sitting at home last month when her granddaughter called her to ask, “Are you OK?”

Banks switched on the TV to see a crowd of Black Lives Matter protesters pulling down the statue of a man who captured and enslaved 84,000 African people. Until recently he was so revered in Bristol that school children would celebrate his birthday once a year with a special church ceremony and his favorite flowers, chrysanthemums.

As Banks watched the television images of protesters rolling the statue of Edward Colston down the street and dumping him into the harbor, she felt both joy and anxiety.

“It evoked a lot,” she recalls. “The rope thrown around its neck felt like a lynching. When it was being pushed down the street, that screeching sound... I could literally hear the people who had been captured, screaming, ‘I don't wanna be in this place.’ As the deputy governor of the Royal African Company, Colston was responsible for the deaths of approximately 19,000 people whose bodies were thrown from slave ships into the sea. A truism of that gruesome traffic held that, “The shark of the Atlantic has ever been the partner of the slave trader.”

Campaigners have been wrestling with the legacy of Colston in Bristol for years, and recently there were heated debates over the wording of a proposed plaque beneath his statue exposing the brutality of Colston’s deadly commerce in human beings. But the plaque was blocked in 2018 by the Merchant Venturers, a secretive group of powerful and wealthy self-described “leaders in Bristol.”

The Society of Merchant Venturers is an 800-year old invitation-only group of predominantly elderly white men (the first woman joined in 2003, the first Black person in 2020) who wield great influence over the city’s political and economic life.

For years in the 18th and early 19th century, the society controlled Bristol’s involvement with slavery; today, they bill themselves as a philanthropic charity. But much of their present wealth is rooted in fortunes made by “the trade.”

Colston had been a member of the Merchant Venturers, which inherited his wealth when he died and helps to manage his legacy today. (Among other things, they put the remains of Colston’s fingernails and hair on display at the Merchant Venturers headquarters until 2016.)

#665 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11596 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:29 AM

View PostLFC, on 01 July 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

That's right, Donald. You go full metal racist before November and we'll see how it plays out for you.

I have long wondered what it would take to break the right-wing claim to "support(ing) the troops" which has survived a decades-long opposition to decent pay, living conditions, health care, and even protective hardware while shipping them off to endless bloody wars with no clear objectives or endgames.

Having their funding vetoed over a totally symbolic snit shouldn't be that straw -- but if that's what wakes us up, at least we wake up.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#666 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11596 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

View PostLFC, on 01 July 2020 - 09:31 PM, said:

They should put up a statue in its place of Colin Kaepernick kneeling.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#667 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15072 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

Natalie Johnson
June 30 at 2:36 PM

From someone who teaches AP US History:
If you are confused as to why so many Americans are defending the confederate flag, monuments, and statues right now, I put together a quick Q&A, with questions from a hypothetical person with misconceptions and answers from my perspective as an AP U.S. History Teacher:

Q: What did the Confederacy stand for?
A: Rather than interpreting, let's go directly to the words of the Confederacy's Vice President, Alexander Stephens. In his "Cornerstone Speech" on March 21, 1861, he stated "The Constitution... rested upon the equality of races. This was an error. Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."
Q: But people keep saying heritage, not hate! They think the purpose of the flags and monuments are to honor confederate soldiers, right?
A: The vast majority of confederate flags flying over government buildings in the south were first put up in the 1960's during the Civil Rights Movement. So for the first hundred years after the Civil War ended, while relatives of those who fought in it were still alive, the confederate flag wasn't much of a symbol at all. But when Martin Luther King, Jr. and John Lewis were marching on Washington to get the Civil Rights Act (1964) and Voting Rights Act (1965) passed, leaders in the south felt compelled to fly confederate flags and put up monuments to honor people who had no living family members and had fought in a war that ended a century ago. Their purpose in doing this was to exhibit their displeasure with black people fighting for basic human rights that were guaranteed to them in the 14th and 15th Amendments but being withheld by racist policies and practices.
Q: But if we take down confederate statues and monuments, how will we teach about and remember the past?
A: Monuments and statues pose little educational relevance, whereas museums, the rightful place for Confederate paraphernalia, can provide more educational opportunities for citizens to learn about our country's history. The Civil War is important to learn about, and will always loom large in social studies curriculum. Removing monuments from public places and putting them in museums also allows us to avoid celebrating and honoring people who believed that tens of millions of black Americans should be legal property.
Q: But what if the Confederate flag symbol means something different to me?
A: Individuals aren't able to change the meaning of symbols that have been defined by history. When I hang a Bucs flag outside my house, to me, the Bucs might represent the best team in the NFL, but to the outside world, they represent an awful NFL team, since they haven't won a playoff game in 18 years. I can't change that meaning for everyone who drives by my house because it has been established for the whole world to see. If a Confederate flag stands for generic rebellion or southern pride to you, your personal interpretation forfeits any meaning once you display it publicly, as its meaning takes on the meaning it earned when a failed regime killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in an attempt to destroy America and keep black people enslaved forever.
Q: But my uncle posted a meme that said the Civil War/Confederacy was about state's rights and not slavery?
A: "A state's right to what?" - John Green
Q: Everyone is offended about everything these days. Should we take everything down that offends anyone?
A: The Confederacy literally existed to go against the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the idea that black people are human beings that deserve to live freely. If that doesn't upset or offend you, you are un-American.
Q: Taking these down goes against the First Amendment and freedom of speech, right?
A: No. Anyone can do whatever they want on their private property, on their social media, etc. Taking these down in public, or having private corporations like NASCAR ban them on their properties, has literally nothing to do with the Bill of Rights.
Q: How can people claim to be patriotic while supporting a flag that stood for a group of insurgent failures who tried to permanently destroy America and killed 300,000 Americans in the process?
A: No clue.
Q: So if I made a confederate flag my profile picture, or put a confederate bumper sticker on my car, what am I declaring to my friends, family, and the world?
A: That you support the Confederacy. To recap, the Confederacy stands for: slavery, white supremacy, treason, failure, and a desire to permanently destroy Selective history as it supports white supremacy.
It’s no accident that:
You learned about Helen Keller instead of W.E.B, DuBois
You learned about the Watts and L.A. Riots, but not Tulsa or Wilmington.
You learned that George Washington’s dentures were made from wood, rather than the teeth from slaves.
You learned about black ghettos, but not about Black Wall Street.
You learned about the New Deal, but not “red lining.”
You learned about Tommie Smith’s fist in the air at the 1968 Olympics, but not that he was sent home the next day and stripped of his medals.
You learned about “black crime,” but white criminals were never lumped together and discussed in terms of their race.
You learned about “states rights” as the cause of the Civil War, but not that slavery was mentioned 80 times in the articles of secession.
Privilege is having history rewritten so that you don’t have to acknowledge uncomfortable facts.
Racism is perpetuated by people who refuse to learn or acknowledge this reality.
You have a choice.”

- Jim Golden

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#668 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:20 PM

One less.

A North Carolina woman who became infamous for multiple racist incidents caught on video has died after being struck by a fire truck.

Rachel Dawn Ruit suffered fatal injuries after she was struck Monday by an emergency vehicle, just days after her arrest for a racist attack on a teenage girl and Muslim woman, reported WLOS-TV.

The 41-year-old Ruit was arrested July 4 after allegedly ripping off a woman’s hijab during a Black Lives Matter demonstration and grabbing a teenager in the groin, telling her she needed to be “put down.” She also was accused of threatening to rape the teen.

A man who witnessed Ruit being struck by the fire truck recognized her from videos of previous racial harassment.

“I just witnessed the same lady from that video accidentally step out into traffic on Patton Avenue, going towards downtown Asheville, as she was walking with traffic coming from behind her,” said witness Jonathan Rowell. “The Asheville Fire Department truck that you see in the background is the vehicle that she stepped out in front of.”

#669 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:57 PM

Display of the Confederate flag at military bases is banned. (Why the f*** are we still having this conversation?) But in order not to give toddler Trump too much butthurt they wrote the rules in a way that doesn't mention it. This is pathetic.

After weeks of wrangling, the Pentagon is banning displays of the Confederate flag on military installations, in a carefully worded policy that doesn’t mention the word ban or that specific flag. The policy, laid out in a memo released Friday, was described by officials as a creative way to bar the flag’s display without openly contradicting or angering President Donald Trump, who has defended people’s rights to display it.

Signed by Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Thursday night, the memo lists the types of flags that may be displayed at military installations. The Confederate flag is not among them — thus barring its display without singling it out in a “ban.” Details of the policy were first reported by the AP.

“We must always remain focused on what unifies us, our sworn oath to the Constitution and our shared duty to defend the nation,” Esper’s memo states. “The flags we fly must accord with the military imperatives of good order and discipline, treating all our people with dignity and respect, and rejecting divisive symbols.”

#670 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

A majority of the nation has figured it out but not a large enough majority. As expected the Republican Party continues to be the cradle of American racism. Nixon started them down that path and it's long been fully implemented for a long time. Trump just made it more obvious ... and more violent.

Some 56 percent of American voters say they believe U.S. society is racist, a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll has found. The survey shows substantial shifts in views on race nearly two months after George Floyd, a Black man, was killed in police custody in Minneapolis. Nearly three-quarters of Americans in the poll, 71 percent, believe that race relations are bad. “Americans are concerned about issues of inequality, and George Floyd’s death helped contribute to that,” said Brenda Lee, a pollster who worked on the survey with Democrat Jeff Horwitt and Republican Bill McInturff. “We’ve moved the needle a great deal in terms of just clearly identifying that we, as Americans, have an issue with racism in this society.”

Opinions about the extent of racial discrimination break clearly along party lines, however; 90 percent of Democrats said Black people are discriminated against, whereas just 26 percent of Republicans agreed. A similarly large share of Democrats, 82 percent, believe American society is racist, a view held by only 30 percent of Republicans. Some 57 percent of those surveyed said they support the nationwide protests sparked by Floyd’s killing, and 58 percent said they are more concerned with racial inequality as a result of the demonstrations.

#671 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:25 PM

I'm putting this here because it's bound to send the white supremacists shrieking and shaking their fists at the rain. The tide is turning against them in ways both substantive and symbolic. It's the symbolic that is blatant and in their pasty white racist faces no matter how deep in their racist bubbles they try to hide. This makes me smile.

A high school in Fairfax County, Virginia named after Confederate general Robert E. Lee is poised to change its name to honor the late Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), who was at the forefront of the fight for civil rights.

The county school board voted for the change on Thursday after a month of discussions with students, school faculty and the rest of community.

“It was important for us to be mindful of these comments and to select a name that reflected the diversity and multiculturalism that currently exists at the school and in our community,” board chair Ricardy Anderson said in a statement. “Rep. Lewis was a champion of the Civil Rights movement, and our Board strongly believes this is an appropriate tribute to an individual who is a true American hero.”

Tamara Derenak Kaufax, one of the board members who led the charge, asserted in a statement that the “Confederate values” tied to Lee’s name “are ones that do not align with our community.”

“Our schools must be places where all students, staff, and members of the community feel safe and supported,” she said.

#672 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15072 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:19 PM

Of course this is in blue northern VA.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#673 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:06 PM

View PostAnBr, on 24 July 2020 - 06:19 PM, said:

Of course this is in blue northern VA.

Sure but it's still going to cause butthurt in Alabama, and that makes me smile.

#674 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15072 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

Posted Image

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#675 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15072 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:36 PM

Rep. John Lewis’ Funeral Procession Over Edmund Pettus Bridge

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#676 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15072 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:13 PM

Posted Image

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#677 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:26 AM

What in the holy hell? These stereotypes were in a medical textbook on nursing.

The textbook, Nursing: A Concept-Based Approach to Learning (winner of the 2018 American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year award), has a chapter on "Cultural Differences in Response to Pain" that perpetuates a lot of untrue beliefs about how different ethnicities react to pain – white is conspicuously missing – as well as blatantly racist falsehoods and stereotypes. For ease of reading, here are some of the points below:

Arabs/Muslims
  • May not request pain medicine but instead, thank Allah for pain if it is the result of the healing medical process.
  • Pain is considered a test of faith. Muslim clients must endure pain as a sign of faith in return for forgiveness and mercy.

Asians
  • Chinese clients may not ask for medication because they do not want to take the nurse away from a more important task.
  • Indians who follow Hindu practices believe that pain must be endured in preparation for a better life in the next cycle.

Blacks
Jews
  • Jews may be vocal and demand assistance.
  • They believe pain must be shared and validated by others.

Hispanics
  • Hispanics may believe that pain is a form of punishment and that suffering must be endured if they are to enter heaven.
  • They vary in their expression of pain. Some are stoic and some are expressive.

Native Americans
  • Native Americans may prefer to receive medications that have been blessed by a tribal shaman.
  • They may pick a sacred number when asked to rate pain on a numerical pain scale.

Be sure to click that link under Blacks.

A new study in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences has revealed that even the medical world hasn’t escaped racial stereotyping. It’s widely acknowledged that black Americans are undertreated for pain relief compared to white Americans, and this study suggests that this could be because numerous medical students still believe that black people feel pain differently, among other completely false beliefs.

#678 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35613 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:27 PM

Another racist Karen piece of shit, this one in Montclair, NJ, stomped onto her black neighbors' property demanding to know if they had a permit to be building a patio in their own backyard. When they pushed back she admitted that she didn't even know if a permit was required but told they that if they didn't answer her questions she would call the police. She did and she also made a false claim of assault. The racism in Montclair PD response is apparently off the charts and she, like the Karen in Central Park, knew exactly what she was doing. Apparently the neighbors and later a protest did not agree with her behavior. Congratulations, Karen You're now an outcast. You earned it.

It has happened again."

That's how the post begins on the Facebook page of Fareed Nassor Hayat, a lawyer who lives on a leafy street in Montclair with his wife, Norrinda Brown Hayat, also a lawyer, and their two young boys.

Posted on Monday evening, it describes a dispute with a neighbor named Susan who Hayat says called the police to falsely accuse him of assault after she walked onto his property "three times in 30 minutes demanding to know" if he had a permit to install a stone patio.

Hayat and his wife are Black; Susan is white.

A video accompanying the post has gone viral and has hundreds of thousands of views. In it, a white woman paces in the street, apparently distraught, saying "you pushed me off your property" while a man's voice behind the camera denies it. A woman's shaky voice can be heard saying, "You've been harassing us for two years" and entreating her husband to "Please go inside so our children don't have to see the police."

EDIT: A little more on "Permit Karen."

#679 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11596 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:49 PM

"Please go inside so our children don't have to see the police."

Two lawyers, but afraid their children will see the police. Or afraid the police will see the children. Or afraid that the children will see the police shoot their parents (and ask questions afterward.)
— Nate Silver

#680 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2423 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:06 PM

We awoke this morning to this in our paper. The subject of the piece was on the County Commission as a hard-core Tea Party-type from 2010-2014. Some of her posts on the hyperlocal neighborhood social media outlet had me thinking "Hmmm," but I didn't think she was stupid or arrogant enough to think she could get away with this:

Former Alachua County Commissioner Susan Baird has been severed from her role at Bosshardt Realty Services because of a Facebook post regarding Sen. Kamala Harris as the running mate of Democratic presidential contender Joe Biden.
Owner Aaron Bosshardt said he and others at Bosshardt began getting text messages about the posts about 3 a.m. Wednesday.
“If you go back and look at her posts, she walks the line for sure. We had a lot of talk and training here about being sensitive to the issues and your colleagues,” Bosshardt said. “We brought in a trainer about what diversity should look like in the real estate profession — we had a Zoom call. You can’t be tone deaf to what is going on.”
Baird did not return phone messages Wednesday afternoon.
The post is a meme that shows Biden and Harris. It refers to Harris by a derogatory word that rhymes with “Joe.”
Another meme posted by Baird shows Hilary Clinton in blackface with the words “Dear Joe, I’m still available.”

This person can't even claim "young and stupid", as she's got a grown daughter (who could, no doubt, have told Momma that such a post was phenomenally stupid, unless she was trying to go out with a big FU). Dear Daughter pulled up the shared screenshots, inclusive of commentary...whoa, NELLY!! This woman's name is MUDD in this community -- a few miles north, east, south, or west, and she might fit right in, but she's toast here.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users