• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

View PostProgressive whisperer, on 29 March 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

Or his “partner” was under age.

Or both.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#42 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2961 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

If it’s that “icky gay sex” then he has to be converted to heterosexual before he gains forgiveness from the other stone throwers.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

#43 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

View Postandydp, on 29 March 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

If it’s that “icky gay sex” then he has to be converted to heterosexual before he gains forgiveness from the other stone throwers.

And if not, she (assuming she's at least 13 years of age) is a "shameless temptress" who deserves to have the stones thrown at her. He's automatically forgiven.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#44 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2961 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 29 March 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

And if not, she (assuming she's at least 13 years of age) is a "shameless temptress" who deserves to have the stones thrown at her. He's automatically forgiven.
The Judge Moore Defense. Doesn’t he have to have a foundation first ?
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

#45 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7478 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

I haven't been following this thread.. but everytime I see the title, I smile.

The death of Christianity in the U.S.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#46 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21764 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostRue Bella, on 29 March 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

I haven't been following this thread.. but everytime I see the title, I smile.

The death of Christianity in the U.S.

In all fairness it should probably be something like "The Death of Evangelicalism in the U.S." They really are the primary problem along with some Catholics (*cough* Dreher *cough* *cough*) though I haven't heard much out of Bill Donohue since Pope Frank came online.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#47 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

View PostLFC, on 30 March 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

I haven't heard much out of Bill Donohue since Pope Frank came online.

IIRC he's one of the ones who refuse to acknowlege him as Pope, which has made him enough outside the bounds that he's keeping a low profile.
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#48 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7478 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

View PostLFC, on 30 March 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

In all fairness it should probably be something like "The Death of Evangelicalism in the U.S." They really are the primary problem along with some Catholics (*cough* Dreher *cough* *cough*) ...

Ya, ya... In my rational moments, I believe that too. But it's mostly the evangelicans that run around trumpeting 'I'm a Christian!' so they all get tarred with the same brush.

#49 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21764 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

RawStory has reposted a number of things from a site called Religion Dispatches. Many of them are written by people who grew up in the Evangelical Christian faith and managed to get out. When you read the details you realize that this mainstream religion has so many things in common with what we easily call out as cults that there's no practical distinction.

This particular article is by an escapee who explains why the acceptance of any single fact by an Evangelical is nearly impossible. Here's the core of it but the whole piece is pretty ... well, scary. These people really do live in an incredibly fragile world so every new piece of science and reality seems like a personal attack. They've trained the capacity for analysis out of themselves so anything that even nicks their twisted world view is a crisis. They are a real world case of the meme "Be a [blank]. It's easier than thinking."

Here’s an exhibit. When I was twenty-one years old, someone finally knocked it through my thick head that the earth was old. I was halfway through Geology 100 when, on one otherwise dull afternoon, the professor said something—I don’t even remember what—and a puzzle piece snapped into place. I sat up straight. The earth was old. Not six thousand years old. Billions of years. What did that mean?

I’d grown up evangelical Christian. We weren’t as conservative as some—and, to the outside eye, we probably looked pretty normal—but like so many others, we were fully immersed in the evangelical worldview. While you wouldn’t find us picketing abortion clinics, all the core ideas were there under the surface: we were Biblical literalists and against same-sex marriage. We believed America was God’s country, voted Republican and pro-life, and expected the rapture at any minute. We were also six-day creationists, with science textbooks that warned us to beware of any statement that contradicted the Bible.

That’s why, back at home after my Geology epiphany, I could do nothing but stare blankly out the front door and feel the roll and pitch of the world as it fell from beneath my feet. It seemed, quite literally, as if there were nothing solid under me, only a great vacuum in which to flail. I grabbed the door handle and stood there, dazed, for a long time.

Eventually, I pulled myself together. But there was a chink in the armor. Every time a church leader talked about Adam and Eve or the creation of the earth, I thought about the broad swaths of time that came before humans, of the Cambrian and Ordovician periods, of the fragile fossils behind the glass in the Ohio State laboratory. When someone talked about the layers of sediment in the Grand Canyon or the evolutionary structure of a bird’s wing, I thought, “Well, they have it right. Except for that one thing, and no one’s perfect so it doesn’t really matter.”

That one thing did matter. It was a chemical in the solution that would, over the next decade, dissolve my world.

And here’s the thing: it was the dissolution of a world. People who didn’t grow up in the American evangelical bubble often don’t realize what they’re demanding when they ask an evangelical to accept a fact that is contradicted by their church’s interpretation of the Bible. To those bought in—excepting, perhaps, that small demographic of Christians who identify as evangelical and are truly progressive—evangelicalism is not a collection of facts. It is an entire reality, based not on logic but on a web of ideas, all of which must be wholeheartedly accepted for any of it to work. It is complete unto itself, self-contained, self-justifying, self-sustaining. It’s your community, your life, your entire way of thinking, and your gauge for what is true in the world. Evangelicalism feels so right from the inside.

And, for an evangelical, there are no small doubts: growing up in many evangelical churches means to be told, repeatedly, that the devil will always seek a foothold, and once you give him one you’re well on the road to hell, to losing your faith, to destroying your witness. That’s scary stuff. To begin to doubt evangelicalism is not simply a mental exercise. For many like me, it’s to feel a void opening, the earth dropping out from beneath you. It’s to face the prospect of invalidating your entire existence.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#50 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7478 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

. We believed America was God’s country, voted Republican and pro-life, and expected the rapture at any minute. We were also six-day creationists, with science textbooks that warned us to beware of any statement that contradicted the Bible.

This is why so many on the right (the evangelicals) don't/can't believe in climate change. God created the world in 6 days. And it does not change from His original intent. There is no evolution of any sort. The earth and the creatures on it are just the same as the day they were created. To accept either actual change, or the possibility of change, would be heresy.

#51 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21764 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

Another Christian that makes the faith look less and less like a way to follow Jesus. These assholes are just so f***ing entitled.

Christian university president was accused of covering up his son’s sexist and racist abuse — and retaliating against one of his accusers.

Mark Smith and his son, Doug Smith, were each named along with senior staffers at Ohio Christian University in two federal lawsuits alleging workplace harassment and wrongful termination, reported the Island Packet.

The elder Smith, whose OCU contract ran through 2025, resigned in January 2017 and was hired a month later by Columbia International University in South Carolina, which also hired his son.

One suit, filed by former OCU student Cynthia Dove, claims Doug Smith started to stick his finger in her mouth while they worked together on the information technology help desk.

“That was a slut test,” Smith said. “If they close their mouth, they’re a slut.”

The other lawsuit, filed by former OCU lead attorney Jeremy Davitz, backed Dove’s claims and claimed Doug Smith secretly took photos of a co-worker’s buttocks and posted it on social media with the caption, “this is why we hire women.”

Doug Smith also told co-workers he hated LGBT people and other minority groups, saying black people were “entitled” and Mexicans were “dirty freeloaders” — and he insisted he was “dead serious” about his beliefs.

“Stop being such a Jew,” he told Dove when she dropped a ladder, and he added that he didn’t care that she was offended.

Dove’s lawsuit claims the university president’s son was “a favored employee, despite his poor work performance and work ethic,” and she was transferred to another department after complaining about him.

“Although Mr. Smith’s coworkers complained about his behavior, he was never disciplined for his behavior and, as a result, Mr. Smith’s inappropriate work behavior continued,” the suit says.

Davitz said he reported the claims to Mark Smith in spring 2016 and advised him to fire his own son, but the attorney claims the university president pounded his fists on the desk and threatened to sue him and the university.

“Mark Smith yelled that he, himself, was a victim and that his son was a victim who had gone through tremendous hardships,” the suit claims.

The attorney said Mark Smith then stripped him of his responsibilities, telling trustees “we don’t trust him anymore,” and fired him in January 2017.

#52 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11287 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

World’s Happiest Countries Are Also Least Religious

While the study shows a correlation between happiness and non-religiousness, no causal relationship is demonstrated. One can only speculate if it is the lack of religion that makes countries happier, or that happy countries simply reject religious superstition.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that unhappy people are driven to religion, given the fact that when one is unhappy in this life they can embrace the idea that there is something better waiting for them after death.

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users