#21 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3258 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

LFC, on 08 January 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

Another reason it's dying; the most obvious versions are flat out evil. Oh, yeah. And Pence is one of them.

"The devil will quote scripture for his purpose."
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#22 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19482 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

HockeyDon, on 09 January 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

"The devil will quote scripture for his purpose."

"When fascism comes to America it will be waving a flag and carrying a cross." The strongest push for fascism in America in my lifetime and likely in its entire history is here and it's being lead by Evangelicals, "patriots", Congressional sycophants, and Trump.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#23 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3258 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:53 AM

That, too.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#24 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19482 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

Another example of how messed up these people are. Why would you cheer a man who was just forced to admit (or lie and deny) sexually assaulting a 17-year old girl? Because he asked forgiveness? Decent humans can't grasp the lack of morality in the face of constant moralizing.

Memphis megachurch pastor who received a standing ovation after confessing to a "sexual incident" with a teenager has finally been suspended.

Andy Savage, the pastor at Highpoint Church, publicly confessed to having a sexual incident with a high school student in 1998 to his congregation on Sunday. Rather than boo him, his followers erupted into 25 seconds of applause after he admitted his sins and asked to be forgiven.

"As a college student on staff at a church in Texas more than 20 years ago, I regretfully had a sexual incident with a female high school senior in the church," he said.

But despite the bizarre response by his congregation, Highpoint Church has finally issued Savage a leave of absence, effective immediately, Chris Conlee, the church’s lead pastor said in a statement on Thursday night as reported by CNN.

The victim, Jules Woodson, claimed that Savage assaulted her 20 years ago, when she was a 17-year-old student. Last Friday, Woodson went public with her story on Watch Keep, a Christian blog, after the rise of the #MeToo hashtag empowered her to come forward and break the silence that protected her assaulter.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#25 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7224 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

View PostLFC, on 12 January 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

Why would you cheer a man who was just forced to admit (or lie and deny) sexually assaulting a 17-year old girl? Because he asked forgiveness?

He's being cheered for "witnessing" his sin and redemption. That's a tremendously powerful ritual in those parts.

Note the authority who laments that the Jezebel who tempted him into sin has not confessed her own guilt in the story, thus denying her chance at "healing."
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
The purpose of "defense spending" isn't "defense," it's "spending."
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#26 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4130 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

Youth pastors, boy scout leaders, teachers, coaches of sports...there are really great people in these positions. Unfortunately, these positions attract those who take advantage of young people's inexperience and awe of their them. The young woman in the story above said she felt special when the pastor wanted to spend more time with her. It's always seemed to me that the religious overlay that comes with clergy people makes the situation particularly damaging to their victims.

#27 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19482 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 12 January 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

He's being cheered for "witnessing" his sin and redemption. That's a tremendously powerful ritual in those parts.

I understand the power when somebody stands up, admits their wrongdoing, and make amends without being forced into it. He was forced by his victim standing up for herself. The fact that they can't tell the difference reveals a deep flaw in their moral compasses.

#28 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7224 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

View PostLFC, on 12 January 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

I understand the power when somebody stands up, admits their wrongdoing, and make amends without being forced into it. He was forced by his victim standing up for herself. The fact that they can't tell the difference reveals a deep flaw in their moral compasses.

Not the same thing. It's not "I was wrong/did wrong, admit it, etc." It's "I was a sinner and thanks to JAY-SUS I was SAVED!" Not confession, bragging -- they were Chosen for Redemption. They're not supposed to be cautions, but role models. Being "outed" is irrelevant because it's not about admitting that there was something wrong with what you did, it's about the sola fide redemption, with the reminder that the "faith" was not his but by "grace" alone.

And don't overlook the villain of the piece: the teenaged slut who tempted him. Since she hasn't admitted guilt in the event, she gets to play the unrepentant whore.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
Our Party! In her relations with other Americans may she always be in the right; but Our Party, right or wrong!

#29 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4130 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 12 January 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

Not the same thing. It's not "I was wrong/did wrong, admit it, etc." It's "I was a sinner and thanks to JAY-SUS I was SAVED!" Not confession, bragging -- they were Chosen for Redemption.

The humble brag..."I'm so blessed"always draws attention to the specialness of the speaker.

#30 Progressive whisperer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9849 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

Religion as Monopoly and everyone on my team gets a “Get out of jail free” card.
Trump delenda est.
GOP delenda est.
Resist!

#31 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19482 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

More crazy Christians that make people recoil with horror.

Minutes before sunrise Sunday, a 17-year-old girl escaped from the home in Perris, not far from Los Angeles, slipping through a window and dialing 911 on a deactivated cellphone, Capt. Greg Fellows of the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department said Tuesday at a news conference. Under federal law, cellphones — even those that are no longer operational — must be able to call emergency services.

Deputies met the teenager, who reported that she and her siblings were being held against their will.

Fellows said she showed them photos that convinced them to believe her and conducted a welfare check at the home. There, he said, deputies found a dozen other siblings, age 2 to 29, malnourished and living in what authorities called “horrific” conditions.

“We do need to acknowledge the courage of the young girl who escaped from that residence to bring attention so they could get the help that they so needed,” he said during the news conference.

Fellows said he could not provide details about the scene, but told reporters, “If you can imagine being 17 years old and appearing to be a 10-year-old, being chained to a bed, being malnourished and the injuries associated with that — I would call that torture.” He said there was no evidence to indicate sexual abuse but noted that authorities are still investigating the circumstances.

The biological parents, David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, have been arrested on charges of torture and child endangerment, authorities said.

The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department said in an earlier news release that the 13 siblings all appeared to be children, so deputies were “shocked” to discover that seven of them are adults.

They appeared malnourished and dirty and told authorities that they were starving.

Why?

David Turpin’s parents, James and Betty Turpin of West Virginia, told ABC News that they were “surprised and shocked” by the allegations. They said their son and daughter-in-law, whom they have not seen for several years, are religious and kept having children because “God called on them.”

The grandparents said that the children are home-schooled, made to memorize long scriptures in the Bible. Some of the children, the grandparents told ABC News, have tried to memorize the entire book.

David Turpin is listed in a state Department of Education directory as the principal of Sandcastle Day School, a private K-12 school that he ran from the couple’s home. The school opened in 2011, according to the directory. In the 2016-2017 year, the school enrolled six students — one in each the fifth, sixth, eighth, ninth, 10th and 12th grades.

#32 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19482 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

Yet another Christianist coverup. When burying bad PR overwhelms protecting children you know you're evil.

A “ranch”-style Christian boys camp in Missouri has been accused of covering up a “pervasive culture of sexual assault” after ignoring claims of resident-on-resident rape.

As David McAfee at Patheos’ “The Friendly Atheist” wrote Tuesday, three former residents have filed lawsuits against Lives Under Construction, a religious camp for troubled boys about 60 miles south of Springfield, Missouri, that claim camp administrators “ignored abuse, then punished boys for reporting it.”

As the Springfield News-Leader reported, an employee was fired for creating a hotline that allowed residents to report abuse (a claim administrators deny) and the camp “viewed sexual abuse as consensual acts between residents.”

The News-Leader found in their investigation descriptions of the assaults, both internally within the residential facility and through court records. One record claims “several months passed before authorities were told that a 9-year-old boy was raped by his 19-year-old roommate.”

“According to reports written by investigators from the Missouri Department of Social Services,” the News-Leader‘s article continued, “staff members were aware of sexual contact between the two roommates but did not act, despite state law that requires child care workers to report possible instances of abuse.”

#33 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19482 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 12 January 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

Note the authority who laments that the Jezebel who tempted him into sin has not confessed her own guilt in the story, thus denying her chance at "healing."

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 12 January 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

And don't overlook the villain of the piece: the teenaged slut who tempted him. Since she hasn't admitted guilt in the event, she gets to play the unrepentant whore.

You f***ing nailed it. Bold is mine.

Since Woodson posted her story online, Savage has come forward to corroborate some aspects of it. Characterizing the incident as a regrettable sexual encounter, one in which both people behaved sinfully, Savage told his current Memphis congregation, Highpoint Church, in a live-streamed sermon, “Until now, I did not know there was unfinished business with Jules. Jules, I am deeply sorry for my actions 20 years ago. I remain committed to cooperate with you toward forgiveness and healing.”

#34 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7224 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

How sweet of him to offer her forgiveness.

#35 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19482 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

Doing well by doing good? His flock aren't just being sheared, they're being butchered. Idiots.

Televangelist Kenneth Copeland giggled and gloated over the new private jet he says God gave him.

The prosperity gospel preacher took possession of the Gulfstream V last Friday, and his church posted a video online to thank “faithful KCM Elite CX Team members – combined with the blessings of a FAITHFUL GOD!”

“Are you looking at this? Hey, are you seeing this?” Copeland says, cackling. “I hope so — you bought it, you and Jesus.”

Copeland then prayed over the plane, and says it was delivered in accordance to a prophetic vision of “new partners” he received more than a decade ago.

“When you said in 2002, ‘I’m sending you new partners who are very strong financially and they’ll obey me, and I will increase your longtime partners and they will obey me,'” the pastor says, chuckling, “‘and you will not come short, and you will not fail, and you will not lack, and you will not come behind, and you will not be diminished.’ Praise God — isn’t that good?”

#36 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19482 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

Another reason why fewer people identify as Christian. It really is all about abortion.

MSNBC on Thursday talked to yet another panel of Trump voters who said that they still support the president even though he has a tendency to do things that are “contrary to Christ.”

In a segment that aired on Thursday morning, the group of evangelical activists who MSNBC spoke to were largely supportive of the president, although they cited some troubling “character” issues.

“I think he’s doing really well in policy,” Pastor Ryan Jorgenson of Harvest Bible Chapel said. “But the character is an issue at times.”

“For instance, what was said in the office [using the term ‘shithole’ to refer to African nations], that is contrary to what Christ would stand for in the Bible and what Christians would be about,” the pastor added.

Conservative activist Steve Deace observed that ongoing White House controversies had pushed some evangelicals to the point “where they are beginning to not care.”

Deace said that if he could give the president advice, he would “appeal to his vanity.”

“I would tell him, ‘You’re not serving your ego well,'” Deace remarked. “Go outside of the beltway, do more rallies, connect more with actual everyday people, the people who put you in the White House.”

Bob Vander Plaats of The Family Leader called on Trump to pass a religious liberty law allowing Christian to discriminate against LGBT people.

“If I own a venue and I believe marriage is between one man and one woman and a gay couple says, ‘I want to get married,'” Vander Plaats opined. “And that owner says, ‘Not at this venue.’ Because we don’t celebrate that.”

Jorgenson said that he hopes Trump will help states “criminalize abortion” and “stop this murdering of unborn people.”

Retired school teacher Joan Acela concluded the panel by calling on the president “to follow the word of God.”

“There is an answer in the Bible for every issue,” she stated. “And if he just follows that, we will be blessed.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users