59 replies to this topic

#41 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

"I'm All About That Bass" performed by women who can sing backed by guys who can play. Sometimes even wretched pop tunes can be salvaged by talented people.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#42 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

And speaking of music...

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#43 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:35 PM

View PostLFC, on 23 March 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

The song is "Skin It Back". Maybe you can find it in your own search.

Found it. Amazing! I can hear soul and jazz there. The phrasing and interplay between the instruments sounds jazzy to me.

Found the lyrics online too! They actually stand up to being read without the music.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#44 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11459 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

View PostLFC, on 23 March 2018 - 01:08 PM, said:

"I'm All About That Bass" performed by women who can sing backed by guys who can play. Sometimes even wretched pop tunes can be salvaged by talented people.

Oh, Postmodern Jukebox. I am intrigued by their placing songs into other styles. One of my favorites of theirs is the throwaway song by John Legend "All of Me" where they do it in an old R&B/Vintage Soul style.

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#45 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

View PostAnBr, on 23 March 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

Oh, Postmodern Jukebox. I am intrigued by their placing songs into other styles. One of my favorites of theirs is the throwaway song by John Legend "All of Me" where they do it in an old R&B/Vintage Soul style.

It's probably just me but I have never "gotten" John Legend. I listen to rock so I clearly don't require a great voice to enjoy vocal music but to me ear he consistently sounds weak and flat. On top of that most of the music I've heard by him seems bound by a very narrow range which makes me wonder if he really has very little range himself.

#46 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11459 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

Nor I, but as I said, this Postmodern Jukebox turns his otherwise throwaway song into something `good.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#47 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1043 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

Google defeats lawsuit claiming YouTube censors conservatives

In a decision late Monday, U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh said a nonprofit run by conservative radio talk show host Dennis Prager failed to show that YouTube infringed its free speech rights by placing age restrictions on its content.
But the judge said Google and YouTube, both units of Mountain View, California-based Alphabet Inc, did not qualify as “state actors” subject to the First Amendment by creating a “public forum” for speech.
In court papers, Google acknowledged that deciding which videos to restrict “may involve difficult, subjective judgment calls.”

But it maintained that it should not be held liable for trying to keep YouTube “safe and enjoyable for all users.”

Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

#48 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 27 March 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

"Censors conservatives"...are you f*&$ing kidding me?!?? If anything, YT seems to accentuate the extreme...on either side. IOW, you click on a Dave Ramsey vid or 2 about money management, material about "The Coming Financial APOCALYPSE!!!" will crop up in the feed; clicking on 1 or 2 vids expressing a right-of-center viewpoint engenders an increase in the vids from RW La-La-Land, end so forth. I saw an article to this effect in a friend's FB feed recently, but I'm having a tough time finding it a few weeks after the fact. If I come across it, I'll share the link.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#49 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11459 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#50 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Lady Grinning Soul from the album Aladdin Sane, 1973.

My nomination for one of the most underrated Bowie tracks. In the Wikipedia entry it's compared in style to a James Bond theme song. A stonker of a piano part by Mike Garson.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#51 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

There was just a shooting at YouTube headquarters.

Police responded to a shooting at YouTube headquarters in San Bruno, California Tuesday.

Police Chief Ed Barberini of the San Bruno police has confirmed that a woman who police consider a suspect is dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, and that four additional victims with gunshot-related wounds have been transferred to nearby hospitals for treatment.

#52 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:58 PM

Thank you all for providing immense enjoyment .

#53 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4102 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:25 PM

View PostLFC, on 03 April 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

So much for a lighthearted alternative. I am guessing that YouTube might be somewhat more skeptical of videos supporting the NRA...
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#54 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:50 AM

To get this thread back on track after I derailed it, here's something "light"; do it yourself Kirkland Light beer commercials. (Excuse me, "beer".)

#55 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

A remark in another thread...

View Postandydp, on 11 April 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

We're lucky to be able to travel - I'm hoping for a trip down US Route 66 in the near future.

reminded me of this:

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#56 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:04 PM

Happened upon this Buddy Rich band rendition of "Birdland":

#57 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

View PostBact PhD, on 25 April 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

Happened upon this Buddy Rich band rendition of "Birdland":

Back to the days when jazz was played in jackets and ties.

Birdland was actually one of the first jazz tunes I ever owned. My version was by Weather Report.

#58 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:03 PM

View PostLFC, on 26 April 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Back to the days when jazz was played in jackets and ties.

Birdland was actually one of the first jazz tunes I ever owned. My version was by Weather Report.

My first exposure to the piece was when my HS jazz band[1] played it. They covered the eras, too -- their repertoire included "Moonlight Serenade."

[1] Unlike what seemed to be many HS jazz bands of the day, ours wasn't just an excuse to play rock & roll in a Band class.

#59 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

For anybody who likes funk here's a more recent take on it. It's not new (1994) but after the main 70s and 80s funk era. I'm actually not a big fan of a lot of funk but there are pieces that I really like including several by this band, the Brand New Heavies.

#60 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:46 PM

The Roast of Weed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users